Discuss Complete Novice trying to install new 2 Gang Light Switch - please help!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i'm well chilled, mate. just don't see the point of flogging a dead horse. if it were a simple job within a diy'ers capability, by all means advise, but in this situation, not knowing how it's been wired, whether there's a cpc or not with metal faceplates, as i said before, get a spark or some candles.

I didnt tell him how to connect HIS switch in HIS kitchen i said

if theres 2 seperate lights on a 2 gang 1way then you need a feed in to both coms and switch wire to l1

what!!!! Jesus, the swiches were a fiver off ebay (which i got over a month ago), an hours rate plus call out for a sparky is what £50-£100..... to fit a switch!! Come one guys, I am beginning to think there is a conspirious here, whats the point in having a forum when the only guidance is to call a sparky to fit a switch!

Its a forum for professionals and as you didn't mark up the cables before you took the old one off you are a little bit up the creek without a paddle.

Now you could start guessing, and if you've a old rewireable fuse board make sure you have plenty of spare 5A fuse wire.

Out of interest what do you do for a living and do you give your skill away??

i got the meaning. the word pointless springs to mind.

is your alter ego rab c. nesbitt, by any chance? you sound like him.

To the OP, most electricians have some expensive test equipment that they use to ensure they haven't got it wrong, (yes even we can get it wrong, but this is what the test equipment and the knowledge of how to use it is for). The only test you will have is when you switch it on and you and it go "BANG", sometimes there is no going back from that.

he meant that i'd travel all the way to suffolk and back to do a 1 hour job for £40. he was joking.

I really didnt think I would cause all this, I am sorry I just wanted some help for fitting a light switch. i think some people have not read fully what I said, I havent removed anything, all wires are still hooked up to the original switch, I just unscrewed the switch and had a look at the wiring configuration, nothing else! All I am trying to do is put in a 2 way switch for 2 independent lights, the new swticth is slightly different than the last!

Sorry lost on me I thought he was saying that was expensive

- - - Updated - - -

I really didnt think I would cause all this, I am sorry I just wanted some help for fitting a light switch. i think some people have not read fully what I said, I havent removed anything, all wires are still hooked up to the original switch, I just unscrewed the switch and had a look at the wiring configuration, nothing else! All I am trying to do is put in a 2 way switch for 2 independent lights, the new swticth is slightly different than the last!

if you post a picture you are more likely to get some help

that makes it a bit clearer, but without a photo, we'd still be guessing. what i can say is that all the wires actually terminated in the switch will be either lives or switched lives. none will be neutrals. each switch will have terminals C, L1,L2. irrespective of how they are laid out physically, you need to fit each in the same as it is in the ols switch, one terminal at a time. however, some installations, installed in 60's and 70's were installed without cpc's ( earths ) on the lighting. if this is the case, you can't fit metal faceplates. if you do have cpc's, then the faceplate must be earthed rather than the cpc's being terminated in the back boxes. i do strongly suggest getting an electrician in to verify that it's safe to fit these new switches and that the wiring is fit for continued use.

Also I do not think any qualified spark would let a first day apprentice carry out this task, so I think it will be difficult to get a explanation here when you have no one to supervise you like they would.

Reply to Complete Novice trying to install new 2 Gang Light Switch - please help!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net