Discuss Consumer Unit regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jcwild

Hi,

I have just had an electrician around, who says I need to run a new 32 amp line from my consumer unit. Unfortunately, my consumer unit has no free slots. He says that this is against regulations (the unit was full when I moved into my flat 4 1/2 years ago).

Can anyone point me towards the regulations he speaks of. He says there should be 20% free slots when the unit is installed. However, I'm not sure if this relates to changes in BS7671:2008 which would have been just after I moved in.

Ideally, if I can find something that states an incorrect/insufficient consumer unit was fitted, I may be able to get the developer to change it over to a larger unit.

Thanks in advance,
Campbell

The consumer unit might of had spare ways when it was installed, how does he know?

.If you need a new circuit adding, then any honest reliable spark will split the supply tails and install a separate smaller consumer unit, to allow for any addition.

Not sure of any reg numbers TBH.

He was right in as much as they should have allowed for the ways at the time of installation and especially if on a new build ( i am assuming you have been the only owner and have never had more work done until now?), and to be honest in my opinion is very poor not to have done so !

But to condemn the whole board just for this when he could easily do as AMP DAVID has suggested then i think you either have one that is maybe still a bit wet behind the ears or just a chancer .

Hi,

I have just had an electrician around, who says I need to run a new 32 amp line from my consumer unit. Unfortunately, my consumer unit has no free slots. He says that this is against regulations (the unit was full when I moved into my flat 4 1/2 years ago).

Can anyone point me towards the regulations he speaks of. He says there should be 20% free slots when the unit is installed. However, I'm not sure if this relates to changes in BS7671:2008 which would have been just after I moved in.

Ideally, if I can find something that states an incorrect/insufficient consumer unit was fitted, I may be able to get the developer to change it over to a larger unit.

Thanks in advance,
Campbell

There actually a regulation that does cover this, though not in the BS 7671-2008, you will find it in the MPS set of regulations and it is regulation 23.4.5.6

Which says

"On the advice of some idiot that is passing himself off as an electrician it maybe time to get shot of him and get another"

You do not say what the 32 amp supply is for ? if it is for a shower then he would have to put in RCD protection this is done in 2 ways 1 is a shower CU fitted next to your board or and upgrade best thing to do is get a price for both then that way you can evaluate if it is the time to upgrade your property to the new safety consumer unit.

Just a thought

I've just been out to a job where a new 8 way board was fitted 2 years ago. All 8 ways are used and given the "space" available I'd say the sparky didn't have any option but to fit the 8 way board fully populated.

In the ideal world a 10 way would have made sense but you HAVE to apply common sense where you see fit.

As others have said get another sparky in or if you have patience and time ask the first one for the reg number!!

I am not aware of a reg that requires additional free spaces have to be provided for the possibility of additional circuits. It may be advisory, and common sense dictates that due to the price of consumer units then you would fit one with additional capacity where possible. Alas if the CU is fitted correctly, and all the ways are full, there isnt more than one circuit per MCB, and so on, then it is is compliant, end of.

Cheers............Howard

Listen we went from a 2 way DB 1 for lights 1 for power then we got a 4 way then a 6 way the a 8 way and now we have the twin RCD 10 way and its like I said it depends where you are and that the balance I have been to a house where they had a 6 way and 2 singles so to us chuck a 10 way in problem solved but Joe public is only interested in the cost

Could we all be getting carried away as we don't know the full picture of the install.
Yes a separate board could be an option as been mentioned but if this is a shower etc (not said yet) then possibly other circuits need rcd protection also, so would be easier to fit a new board I would have thought. Also the OP said this was a flat so could the CU be in a flush cabinet so a separate board would be impracticle. We don't know all the info on this yet. Yes it could be a chancer but they had the benifit of all the info.
The spare ways bit i remember being 10% from new but I'm sure was in a best practice guide but not read the whole BGB yet as I've only read the sections I've needed so far.

Agreed this guy has posted the question yet will not say what the 32 amp circuit is for and me thinks it is for a shower and if I was pricing the job I would recommend a new DB it the right time to do it but as always the house could be worth £175k with a £12k car in the drive and there is a quible over that little box under the stair . Remember we think of safety because its our job Joe public just want his two weeks in Spain

Could we all be getting carried away as we don't know the full picture of the install.
Yes a separate board could be an option as been mentioned but if this is a shower etc (not said yet) then possibly other circuits need rcd protection also, so would be easier to fit a new board I would have thought. Also the OP said this was a flat so could the CU be in a flush cabinet so a separate board would be impracticle. We don't know all the info on this yet. Yes it could be a chancer but they had the benifit of all the info.
The spare ways bit i remember being 10% from new but I'm sure was in a best practise guide but not read the whole BGB yet as I've only read the sections I've needed so far.

Thats a very good point and i totally agree .
As for the spare ways i think it is probably just good practise but on a new build there is absolutely no reason not to do so , if it is because of the cost ? Then i would suggest the original contractor should not of taken the job on in the first place if they were unable to do a decent job on the price given .

( Sorry to rant on about spare ways but it really gets my goat when others try to cut corners and save literally penny's on what would almost definitely been a ££££s job if a new build , it is just narrow minded and very poor practise )

Last edited:
me i'd fit a new board with rcd or rcbo protection .
1 he would have spare ways for future use
2 he would have rcd protection
3 i think that putting an extra fuse board in is unsightly and not good practice

but your all gonna say i'm a chancer

me i'd fit a new board with rcd or rcbo protection .
1 he would have spare ways for future use
2 he would have rcd protection
3 i think that putting an extra fuse board in is unsightly and not good practice

but your all gonna say i'm a chancer
Not at all, totally agree, but as oldtimer said. Its all about money and what is best takes a back seat everytime with the customer.

I've recently rewired my own house & fitted a 15 way board with Main switch & 10 RCBOs - leaving me with room for future expansion. I think that's the best way to go, but I can't imagine me ever being able to sell it to the average punter.

Bearing in mind it looks like the installation may only be around four and a half years old i would hope it had some form of rcd protection in it somewhere already ?
Replacing a nearly new board like that just because it looks better is something i would personally find hard to justify , but if there were other issues as well then yes ave it out !

I've recently rewired my own house & fitted a 15 way board with Main switch & 10 RCBOs - leaving me with room for future expansion. I think that's the best way to go, but I can't imagine me ever being able to sell it to the average punter.

Need anyone to check it over and sign it off for you ? LOL

45%spare capacity seems to ring bell wi me.course it never happened tho ...ever.
Try squeezing a12way into a 4way Wylex space tho...
It is apet hate of mine cos afew spare ways doesn't cost much at all

Reply to Consumer Unit regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net