Discuss Continuity and IR for DOL starter in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

danb86

-
Reaction score
Hi, I've got a practical exam for testing and inspecting later this week. I've researched the net and these forums and there is some good info just need to get some things clear in my head so I'm certain about the testing for the motor circuit. Its single phase and the circuit goes as follows:

DB > ISOLATER > DOL > REMOTE START/STOP > SIMULATED MOTOR (NEON INDICATOR)

For continuity is it correct to be thinking:
1 - link out L-E at the board and get reading at the DOL
2 - get reading from the DOL to the motor (I'll need to link L-E somewhere here too?)
3 - add the 2 readings together for my total R1 + R2 reading

For IR, I test from:
1 - DB > DOL
2 - DOL > MOTOR

The thing I'm not sure about is where to test for the IR and if any connections need removing. For DB > DOL do I remove L-N-E at the DOL and test at the DB. For DOL > MOTOR do I remove any connections supply side of the DOL and test at the MOTOR?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

dan or link out cables at dol and test full length from board to motor.

this is what people do to get a r1+r2 and zs on inverter fed motors etc.

you will get very high readings if you try to test zs through the dol

Last edited:
I wasn't thinking of testing through the starter just upto it, then after it and adding those values. When you say link out cables at the DOL you mean link incoming with outgoing to effectively bypass the DOL?

No point asking my tutor not sure he knows what he is doing. The college is riduculous, we haven't even been shown how to test a motor circuit. Great preperation!

Thanks for responding.

I wasn't thinking of testing through the starter just upto it, then after it and adding those values. When you say link out cables at the DOL you mean link incoming with outgoing to effectively bypass the DOL?

No point asking my tutor not sure he knows what he is doing. The college is riduculous, we haven't even been shown how to test a motor circuit. Great preperation!

Thanks for responding.
you test the motor the same as you do any other circuit.

we were asked to test upto the dol with r1+r2 and zs and r1+r2 from dol to motor

I am not sure what exam format you are involved with,but the second part of that test,could be motor control,and not installation. Also,the motor itself,may require disconnecting,depending what IR test is being performed.

I am a bit concerned,regarding your lack of confidence,in your tutor.

You really need to have that confidence,as what he is teaching you,could have serious consequences,the very least of which,is test methods...

If you post your course title,maybe we could advise where to get the best assistance,book wise,for example.

Reply to Continuity and IR for DOL starter in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net