Discuss Crimping compacted conductors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

workbelt12

Hi - how does everyone get on crimping these compacted conductors. they are way smaller diameter than standard
equivalent size. Icould get a 25mmlugonto a 35mm conductor. whats best practise?

Do you mean tri-rated ?... never heard the term compacted conductors - copper used in electrics is as compact as it gets, you cannot make it smaller, if you mean the various arrangements of the core 'solid, strandard and tri-rated' as well as shaped conductors in larger SWA's that benefit the cable by reducing its O/D as well as saving on material.

Please be more specific, your slang is not recognised industry terminology.

Could you please cascade the information you have amassed down the chain, we can the apply some lateral thinking to your question, failing that we could hold a conference and determine our thoughts.

If it's fine stranded (tri rated) conductors you're talking about then there are specific flanged lugs used to suit this cable.

A compacted conductor has a reduced o/d for same csa. Therefore a cable lug is very loosei prior to crimping, when using a hex die crimper are lugs on tight enough ?
These cables are vey common, the larger the size the more apparent the difference.

A compacted conductor has a reduced o/d for same csa. Therefore a cable lug is very loosei prior to crimping, when using a hex die crimper are lugs on tight enough ?
These cables are vey common, the larger the size the more apparent the difference.
there is no such thing as a compacted conductor, post a link to the cable.

it will be tri-rated

We still don't know whether you mean coarse stranded shaped conductors or fine stranded tri rated conductors, or something else.
The only advice I can give you is to follow the regs, good practice, and your training to provide a mechanically and electrically sound joint suitable for the purpose it is to be used for.

It sounds like you mean shaped conductors 'a common term' like you get in SWA... more an overall triangle shape as oppose to a circular, regardless of the shape etc they still have the same csa but the triangle arrangment usually takes more lug space ironically than a circular formation and can requires to be adjusted to a more circular arrangement to get them in the lug.

I'm, like others are still confused to your use of the word compacted...

PS ...seen your link now ...I call these shaped conductors and you should be able to get the correct lug for them from the same supplier you got the cable, the hole will be smaller but the lug outer diameter will still fit the correct crimp dye.

Swapping lugs till they seem to fit may give a poor crimp without you realising and the lug would also indicate the cable was sized smaller csa than it actually is.

Last edited:
Hi - how does everyone get on crimping these compacted conductors. they are way smaller diameter than standard
equivalent size. Icould get a 25mmlugonto a 35mm conductor. whats best practise?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Klauke Textron: blue connection - the solution for compacted conductors

http://www.klauke.com/blue-connection/assets/files/Klauke-blue-connection-en.pdf

Page 7 shows compacted conductors.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited by a moderator:
The PDF that Archy links to above (from a manufacturer selling lugs specifically for these "compacted conductors") says (p6):

Modern compacted conductors are much thinner than their comparable predecessors. So nowadays, cable manufacturers can often save on sheathing and insulation. This difference is not always obvious at first glance. But it does mean that tubular cable lugs and connectors that look as if they fit have too much play and can no longer be crimped as required. In the past, you have only been able to reliably avert this safety risk using additional sleeves on compacted conductors.

Perhaps the last sentence answers the original poster's question - use sleeves.

I was going to post the exact same thing.. but got sidetracked, strange the OP brings up an issue then links us a site that gives the answers and explanation. :juggle2:

there is no such thing as a compacted conductor, post a link to the cable.

it will be tri-rated

There is, if you look at 10mm singles for example the individual strands are round, wheras 10mm SWA cores will have shaped strands which interlock closer with less spaces between them. Thus compacted conductors are made.

Reply to Crimping compacted conductors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net