Discuss Cutting Slots In In Metal Dist Boards in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

No I agree.

I thought I would put the link up in case anybody wished to view it that may not currently do any of these already.

If nothing else after researching / reading this today I now won't have to look into more expensive fire rated CTS glands or sealant etc. More money for the ales!

Agreed. As I've said before, it looks like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing (whilst someone is stealing your wallet)!

If you are part of a scam then my best advice would be to call them and see what they say on the matter as at the end of the day it might be a non conformance from their point of view when it comes to you annual assessment. I personally haven't been or told my lads to seal the cable entries as Long as the appropriate IP ratings are met. What makes me laugh about it is you could install a ryefield board that feeds multiple flats for example with a slot in the top with trunking butted up or paxolin sheet between with say 20 sets of tails passing through but then you have a few T&E's coming in to an amendment 3 consumer unit within one of the flats and the whole thing needs sealing with intumescent mastic from some peoples point of view lol.

Last edited:
As per Consumer units - IET Electrical
it states

"The non-combustible enclosure or cabinet must provide a complete envelope (for example, base, cover, door and any components such as hinges, screws and catches) as necessary to maintain fire containment. All blanks, circuit-breakers and other devices must be contained within the non combustible enclosure or cabinet. Figure 5 shows an example."

Furthermore "
Sealing of wiring entries:

It is important for the installer to seal all openings into the enclosure or cabinet for cables, conduits, trunking or ducting that remain after the installation of cables - see Figure 6. The intent of the sealing is to ensure that, as far as is reasonably practicable, any fire is contained within the enclosure or cabinet and the escape of flames to the surroundings of the cabinet or enclosure or into conduits trunking or ducting is minimised, as intended by Regulation 421.1.201.
Good workmanship and proper materials must be used, and account must be taken of the manufacturerā€™s relevant instructions, if any."

NB. Diagrams also confirming this are contained within the said document (images removed due to copyright etc). :book:

That is still not the regulations is it!

the regulation is to stop people sticking thing inthe consumer unit ,l know mad , you can entry from the bottom or the back of the unit but not the top unless it in trunking or conduit paul

You can enter the top of a consumer unit without conduit or trunking. It is not to prevent people from sticking things into it, it is to maintain an IP rating such that an object of 1mm diameter cannot enter the unit and make contact with live parts. The other sides are required to maintain an IP rating such that a finger cannot make contact with live parts

Plasma Cutter
30571_2000x2000.jpg

Very quick & very clean cuts. :sailor:

IMO I still think most of these fires are down to inexperienced installers, did we have fire to the extent we have now before the onset of short training courses? I'll leave that for you to decide, as I said this is my opinion and mine alone I have no proof that my statements are true, just a gut feeling, there it's been said.
I think it's a bit unfair to blame training courses..it's common sense. In my experience they are fine but inexperience, yes possibly.. There again if installers follow the instructions that come with the DBs then all terminals should be checked for tightness. You don't need a training course for that..I would also comment that the old fuseboxes, with TWO screws per terminal are much better in this respect, particularly as you can't see what's happening within the MCB clamps in most cases..

what does not help is people using battery drill to connect consumer units up, seen a few set on fire because of this, get a new jigsaw to day many thanks for all the advice

IMO I still think most of these fires are down to inexperienced installers, did we have fire to the extent we have now before the onset of short training courses? I'll leave that for you to decide, as I said this is my opinion and mine alone I have no proof that my statements are true, just a gut feeling, there it's been said.

Consumer units are more likely to cause a fire when installed in the area covered by the LFB all the stats show that across the country London is the hotbed of flaming consumer units even the IET acknowledges this as all their presentations only include the LFB stats

I think it's a bit unfair to blame training courses..it's common sense. In my experience they are fine but inexperience, yes possibly.. There again if installers follow the instructions that come with the DBs then all terminals should be checked for tightness. You don't need a training course for that..I would also comment that the old fuseboxes, with TWO screws per terminal are much better in this respect, particularly as you can't see what's happening within the MCB clamps in most cases..

Part P is the biggest cause as it spawned all the in competent scams who seem to condone the use of a very basic level training as a minimum requirement of acceptance to carry out electrical work, then follows all the 17 day / 5 week training companies promising Ā£50K a year to keep the scams going with new members and there you have the recipe for a problem waiting to happen

What's a gimpiod, and how do they benefit from Amd 3?
Gimpoid ergo a scam boss who condones all the poor training
What's a gimpiod, and how do they benefit from Amd 3?
I can't say for fear of retribution from the CU manufacturers and scam bosses, think about it Amd 3 comes along, Manufacturers get to produce Non combustible CUs the Schemes get to run meaningless Amd 3 courses, that's my opinion

Last edited:

Reply to Cutting Slots In In Metal Dist Boards in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net