Discuss Eicr in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

1-2 bed council houses/flats. All same layout, rewired 07-08. Pendants only, no fancy fittings. Takes seconds to take out all lamps. Customer unplugs everything while we get started. We check while doing dead tests to ring circuits including figure of eight. Not our responsibility to plug in anything except fridge/freezers. Wander lead for bonding.

Well, does feel like you are insinuating something. I happen to take pride in my job and wouldn't put my name to something if I wasn't happy. Very short sighted view there.
Full sequence of testing done, properly

Well if you cant take a question or two without getting ratty il leave it there, no offense ment in any of my questions just trying to understand how you can test 5 properties properly in a day. Il keep remainder of questions to myself so as not too offend and question your work

Well if you cant take a question or two without getting ratty il leave it there, no offense ment in any of my questions just trying to understand how you can test 5 properties properly in a day. Il keep remainder of questions to myself so as not too offend and question your work
Starting a question with "so what.." induces a bad reaction. Take it from a female, attitude is our second language.
Which is why I explained how without replying direct to yours. Questions are fine if you genuinely want to know

Team of 2. 6-10 circuits
5 sites a day Ave 30 to 50 circuits in total as two person team, ridiculous. I can only suggest the Reports generated from those sites contain little content and probably don't reflect the condition of those installations.

5 sites a day Ave 30 to 50 circuits in total as two person team, ridiculous. I can only suggest the Reports generated from those sites contain little content and probably don't reflect the condition of those installations.
Why do you assume that?
Going for averages that's 3-5 circuits an hour.

I used to work with a bloke did 10 3 bedroom houses a day, mind you he did do them from the drivers seat in the firms van.

And what were you doing sat in the passenger seat all day, Pete? :D
Doing what I was told to do I was only about 16, he got the Spanish Archer after a bit, a terrible man he was, used to bully all the apprentices, this was in the very early 60s, testing those days was not the be all and end all as it is today.

I would agree with allowing 3 hours, including lunch travel snags and writting report i stick with the comment i wouldnt take on more than 3 a day. U said ur not allowed to move fridges what if u cant unplug fridge do you lim L-L on rings.? Disconect any ballast or transformers for L-L on lights.? Does each flat have a dno supply?

When I do periodics it is not practical to disconnect all lighting from the circuit, the most important IR readings are line/neutral to earth. Same with fixed appliances have them all switched on so all parts are included in the test. ELFI tests done from isolator to appliance.

I would agree with allowing 3 hours, including lunch travel snags and writting report i stick with the comment i wouldnt take on more than 3 a day. U said ur not allowed to move fridges what if u cant unplug fridge do you lim L-L on rings.? Disconect any ballast or transformers for L-L on lights.? Does each flat have a dno supply?
There was only one where couldn't access dno supply. Sheltered residential housing, no warden on site. Place was not looked after, had to report it, warden clearly wasn't doing her job checking. Poor old lady clearly couldn't shower or cook for herself :(
I was asked what lims were, not what I followed. Customer unplugged most at start, we unplugged the rest.
You're making assumptions on how you would do the jobs, we don't have lunch breaks. Self employed, no trackers. I've rarely had a lunch break in the past 6 years unless I'm feeling low sugar levels. All jobs for one day in same road/adjacent road, walking distance from eachother. No travel needed.
There's is no special "report writing" all done on a iPad, with two Bluetooth enabled testers. I bought the iPad specifically for this project, has its own SIM card to send reports straight to office on site. Including any and all photo evidence needed.
Address and client info filled in the night before. Software is all drop down boxes.
Technology makes work easier

Technology can make life easier and it can also make your mind switch off, this is my general feeling not aiming it at you. People laugh at me because I don't use a MFT, but my old bashed gear is calibrated and doing the same task. I rarely unplug from sockets unless I am getting faults, maybe you should give it a go so you ain't working 10 hours a day:smile:

Technology can make life easier and it can also make your mind switch off, this is my general feeling not aiming it at you. People laugh at me because I don't use a MFT, but my old bashed gear is calibrated and doing the same task. I rarely unplug from sockets unless I am getting faults, maybe you should give it a go so you ain't working 10 hours a day:smile:
More than anything have to worry about customer trying to false an insurance claim :mad: every job we had to get tenant to sign a form that states they were happy all was working when we left especially fridges and cookers.
Money more than makes up for 10hrs ;)

More than anything have to worry about customer trying to false an insurance claim :mad: every job we had to get tenant to sign a form that states they were happy all was working when we left especially fridges and cookers.
Money more than makes up for 10hrs ;)
Yeah we get people to sign something similar. There is this fear IR tests are going to destroy anything plugged into them, never caused damage in 25 odd years, or not that I know of:), no different to doing a PAT test (yeah I know don't say it). As a matter of interest is your poor colleague also working 10 hours+.

Reply to Eicr in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net