Discuss Fairly making money by sub-contracting - New Business Startup in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You'd be better off building a "rogue customer" website that we can all subscribe to and share details behind secure login

We can rate them on :

1. Changing their minds
2. Changing the dates
3. Questioning the work
4. Meddling
5. Late payment
6. "short" payments

We can rate them on :

1. Changing their minds
2. Changing the dates
3. Questioning the work
4. Meddling
5. Late payment
6. "short" payments

I think number one should be frequency of hot drinks provided. I did a 6 hour job the other day and got 6 drinks ! discount is already set for their next job !

I think number one should be frequency of hot drinks provided. I did a 6 hour job the other day and got 6 drinks ! discount is already set for their next job !

I was concentrating on the "painful" clients.... so a "positive" side would be good too .....

Most of my customers wouldn't touch your "type" of business with a barge pole!

if you have any doubt, that's a resounding NO from me!
This is the point i was trying to make earlier. The OP just does not understand what the customer really wants. Word of mouth, recommendations, local, reliable tradesmen. None of my customers would touch them with one either, and why would they? Sorry, I hope it falls on its face as well, it will be a bleak day when it flourishes.

15% is unreal ! All that is going to achieve is making it a nailed on certainty that the customer will have to pay more for using your service as the shortfall in the contractor's pocket will be passed on directly to the customer.

Are you aware of the business overheads currently experienced by contractors and the margins they work to? If you are you should know that asking as much as 5% and still expecting the contractor's quote to be competitive in the local market is bordering on the unrealistic.

A customer of mine is building a similar service and has the right idea. It's free for contractors and customers to use. They take voluntary donations from satisfied contractors.

Its a no from me,im out!!!!

I bet if I have said there will be no fees, all sarcasms would be dropped, you'd raise from the childish responses to manhood responses, huh?

Can we all just erase x% fees for now? Your minds are not seeing the website's model and how it will (not would) work. While I agree that customers do not normally know what they want, if when they do once the work has started they may want a change. I am not creating a website not know the ins and outs of this business. I was in it but with temp contracted work. I know what I want.

Normally when someone has an idea they expresses it with minimal and once we have an MVP (Minimal Valuable Product) we will show the world for better feedback. There, the idea can be scrapped or praised.

Things to note: The website will not have a registration button for subs, only for customers. Thanks to:

No I think I got it. You are planning to waste customers time and your own time by allowing the customer to select a budget that you then have to tell them is unrealistic. Why not have a system that allows them to pick what they want e.g. number of sockets, type, number of light fittings type, details about the house etc etc and then tells them a price range final price to be confirmed following contractor visit?

I shall create such website so that at the end, a set price is given. Either I have my own guys go out to finalize the work (pricing) then have a sub carry out the work. If you have missed it, once a price is given, on the website, the customer can decline or agree so once we visit, the work is already sure.

For the curious, I have put ÂŁ50 on a google advert and I have gotten voicemail on my mobile phone for work. Work is out there you only need to know where and how to find it.

I could easily create a website that has electrician post their business etc, profile etc but too many out there. Since money is important let me clarify. There will be a fee taking from the net profit. A job cost ÂŁ3000, materials and gas for ÂŁ2000 (assuming here), I will take x% of ÂŁ1000. So please stop singing on the 15%.

Before you visit the customer, you'll know what house type, inside of the house with pictures, videos, type of work needed, when to start, empty or occupied house/flat etc, materials needed, direction to, distance and travel time, your money is sure.

How will I find these subs? I'll ask the mods on here to advertise then we will meet in person at your business and we take it from there. Since I live in Birmingham then a Birmingham sub will be needed first.

Before you visit the customer, you'll know what house type, inside of the house with pictures, videos, type of work needed, when to start, empty or occupied house/flat etc, materials needed, direction to, distance and travel time, your money is sure.

Do most customers really know what materials they need? They just know that they want a tv in the corner. They may forget about the sky/cable box, DVD player, xbox/ps, ethernet connection.
You will only truly find out what materials you need until you visit and chat with the customer.

A sparky round my way spent loads of ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ on getting to the top of the Google rankings, it worked a treat, if you put in "electrician in xxxxxxxx" or almost anything else he was top of the list. Guess how many enquiries he got in the first month? 2 and no jobs. This guy just doesn't get it so you are all wasting your breath. The replies have not been childish, tongue in cheek yes, but essentially realistic. It won't work and people don't want this type of faceless service.

Last edited:
How will I find these subs? I'll ask the mods on here to advertise then we will meet in person at your business and we take it from there. Since I live in Birmingham then a Birmingham sub will be needed first.

Hum... beware all you Brum guys!

Do most customers really know what materials they need? They just know that they want a tv in the corner. They may forget about the sky/cable box, DVD player, xbox/ps, ethernet connection.
You will only truly find out what materials you need until you visit and chat with the customer.
Materials? They dont but I should have mentioned that once a contractor has visited then I will have that information. In regards to an automated home, I have that covered ;)

A sparky round my way spent loads of ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ on getting to the top of the Google rankings, it worked a treat, if you put in "electrician in xxxxxxxx" or almost anything else he was top of the list. Guess how many enquiries he got in the first month? 2 and no jobs. This guy just doesn't get it so you are all wasting your breath. The replies have not been childish, tongue in cheek yes, but essentially realistic. It won't work and people don't this type of faceless service.
I live on the internet so I know things that I wont put on here so I know how to get customers so let's leave it at that. But a clue is, when a customer visits your website, you have 2 seconds to catch their attention or else they're gone but I'm not debating on "getting jobs/customers" that's my job. If you say it wont work then I'm eager to find out.

You know what's funny? I say you that "hey Jim I can get you some work and this is how I will get them". You turn around to say "nahhh mate that wont work". Instead y'all just could have said "ok mate, you may could change this up a bit, add this and remove this but here's my number so when you get a customer, hit me up".

Hum... beware all you Brum guys!

Sorry for your bad experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Materials? They dont but I should have mentioned that once a contractor has visited then I will have that information. In regards to an automated home, I have that covered ;)

You know what's funny? I say you that "hey Jim I can get you some work and this is how I will get them". You turn around to say "nahhh mate that wont work". Instead y'all just could have said "ok mate, you may could change this up a bit, add this and remove this but here's my number so when you get a customer, hit me up".

Again, most customers don't know what they need. You are putting a quote out on what they input to your site. Then you guy turns up, chats with the customer and then adds loads of material to the quote. Price goes up by quite a lot.

It's great that you always look on the bright side. We have some managers here that do that. They can suggest something and when you tell them that it can't work they say they you are "being negative" or just brush your comments aside. Then down the line there is another meeting about why is this project not going to plan...... We can all stick our heads in the sand and think everything is fine.

After reading your last post my 'manhood response' would be you have delusions of grandeur. I'm starting to believe this is nothing more than a wind up.

I dont have any "mental illnesses". But I'll stop here and create the picture (have the website up) so you'll see.

I dont have any "mental illnesses". But I'll stop here and create the picture (have the website up) so you'll see.

Do you have one of those tacky '--- many people have visited this site' on it? It could be a good way of getting your count...

Again, most customers don't know what they need. You are putting a quote out on what they input to your site. Then you guy turns up, chats with the customer and then adds loads of material to the quote. Price goes up by quite a lot.

It's great that you always look on the bright side. We have some managers here that do that. They can suggest something and when you tell them that it can't work they say they you are "being negative" or just brush your comments aside. Then down the line there is another meeting about why is this project not going to plan...... We can all stick our heads in the sand and think everything is fine.

Let's set aside my project for a bit and reflect on a real world scenario. I have done many data cabling installations in my past from the age of 18, Im 31 now. When quoting you need to price exactly what the customer wants without adding anything else. Customer wants 4 computers into a room. You the quote exactly for that. Now you needed really are two quotes: Your other quote would derive from asking what data transfer are they doing etc. Then you may say you may need CAT6 and backup why you say CAT6 and those extra wall sockets and/maybe UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) and explain why they would need it. Now the customer builds confident in you and it's up to them to choose what they want or what is best.

The person doing the quotation MUST have experience in that field and professional at it. I maybe a kid but I know my data cabling in and out.

Do you have one of those tacky '--- many people have visited this site' on it? It could be a good way of getting your count...

I use other technologies for such service. I even know which website you were coming from, time spent on what page etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

The thing is, (and I've glanced over the thread so forgive me if I'm wrong) I don't think anybody has called you on the technical side. Nobody has said you weren't able to design such a system, so creating 'the picture' proves nothing.

What people have called you on is the business model - that is, whether you will get subbies to do the work, whether you can compete with a local spark who doesn't pay a x% markup, whether your customers really would trust your business front end over "bob who lives around the corner and did a cracking job rewiring my mates house".

I've no doubt you can create an all singing, all dancing website or app. Making it perform as a business with a business model like you propose is where I have doubt. It's going to take a little more than ÂŁ50 on Google adwords to get it off the ground even. That is why I said you have delusions of grandeur - you seem to have the blinkers on and still can't take on board what seasoned sparks are telling you, that a) decent sparks don't need your service and b) customers won't (for long) pay for services from not-so-decent-sparks.

Reply to Fairly making money by sub-contracting - New Business Startup in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net