Discuss Feel like I'm being used in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lofty84

Just a quick question really how much is the going rate for connecting a shower up (the cable was already run so I just had to terminate it) installing a bathroom light and pull cord and wiring up a switched fused spur for a towel radiator, next was putting in an earthrod to earth these 2 new circuits and then installing a new 2 way board for the circuits, I had to move the meter do new tails and take a new earth to the water pipe, I just wondered how much one would charge for that ad I got the handsome sum of 57 pounds which when I minus my petrol money a 60 mile round trip probably leaves me with 50 quid if that. How much would he have charged do u think min

Thankyou

Certainly alot more than that is what I woild charge. Did you not agree a price befoee hand or inform the customer you would be charging by the hour?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

you've been robbed. i would have thought £200 + materials.

Peter if your reading this cheers mate ill continue to live on fresh air not pay my bills and rent cos I don't have any and just pick my tools of the tool tree down the end of the garden. As long as u get ur holidays tho mate aye

Just a quick question really how much is the going rate for connecting a shower up (the cable was already run so I just had to terminate it) installing a bathroom light and pull cord and wiring up a switched fused spur for a towel radiator, next was putting in an earthrod to earth these 2 new circuits and then installing a new 2 way board for the circuits, I had to move the meter do new tails and take a new earth to the water pipe, I just wondered how much one would charge for that ad I got the handsome sum of 57 pounds which when I minus my petrol money a 60 mile round trip probably leaves me with 50 quid if that. How much would he have charged do u think min

Thankyou

Did you ask them to pay you what they wanted or is that what you actually charged them?
Agree with tel. Probably £200 + materials from what you have described. If you are working on an hourly basis then a minimum £50 to cover going out plus a decent rate after that.

Edit. Just re-read and sounds like you are working for a builder....

I don't know if this effects the price but I put in a henly block and met as well. He's always saying you won't get rich being a electrician, yeah not at ur rates

You can't allow yourself to get into situations like that. I always know before I start a job the minimum I will make from doing it. If the client ain't happy then they can find someone else. Don't work for nothing!! I used to fall into the trap of doing jobs for friends, friends of friends etc., saying I'll give them a good deal, and basically getting shafted. Not any more!

Regardless of whether or not you are a subby, you must have your rates. You can't simply do a job then take what he thinks you are worth. Feel like I'm missing something here....

If i have read and understand the op correctly , i would say that you were well and truly shafted ?
But at least that £60 should buy you a good bit of snout when they catch up with you for moving ( i think ) a company meter !:sick:

next time he calls, ask for the job spec in writing, then confirm your price to him in writing. If he doesn't use you then it may be a good thing.

A days work for £50.00 is well below the minimum wage

I've had a guy ring me before telling me what the job was and the rate he would pay. Told him that I set my rates not him and he hung up on me, last I heard of him he was using DIY Dave.
Pay peanuts, get monkey.
Lofty, tell him to go away mate he is using you as per your title

Reply to Feel like I'm being used in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net