Discuss Feel like I'm being used in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cheers for all the kind words boys I doubt I'll b workin or him again anyway... Well hes agreed to up my pay to 75.00 a day which is an extra 50 quid. In fairness I'm still to do my am2 but have got my 17th and 2230 plus a few years decent experience now. What annoys me most is he always calls me up for a rewire and all I get to do usually is take part in the first fix never the second so usually I'm in the loft rollin up the insulation and feeding down cables. It's put me of being a sparky tbh and I'm thinking of getting into recruitment or something. Just out of curiosity howw much do u think I should be on I don't mind blowing my own trumpet and saying I work harder then any pole you will find. Can u see eh. I say it makes senswnsr for me to get part p registered and go out on my own even if I do say charge myself out at 15-20 an hr to get the work I will make more money each Weekk. U always get someone saying u cant survive on that and I should say 30ph but this way Thrre is some lee way for my lack of speed and 100 percent knoledge. I also think I'm gonna learn more like this as as I say so far all the extra skills he's given me is how to roll up insulation

Lofty if you're self employed you need to be looking at at least 25 per hour. Depending on where you are this could be more.
Remember though your hours don't start when you're unpacking your tools they start when you leave home.

blimey mate if you spend that much time in lofts go get a job doing insulation,no tools ,no qualifications and more money Imo he should pay for your part p he sounds likes he,s certainly taking it!

Your or sparky (or best part of one) so charge sparkys rates not labourers if you accept that kind of money you are just encouraging him all the more.

Just to clarify are you employed by this bloke or do you sub.

There is a difference but thats still no excuse for paying you first year apprentice wage.

If I go out on my own I'm unlikely to be able to ask these guys for there help in pricing jobs and what to do if I get a bit stuck on something or am asked to do something I've never done before which is bound to happen do you think I can ask you guys? I live in Surrey so I'm not sure how this affects my hourly rate but having been ripped of I don't won't to go and do the same to someone else I just want to do a good job and be paid fairly for it so I can live comfortably and make then happy. Im not gonna let him put me of although having worked with him a fewtimes before they've done a bloddy good job of making me want to change careers, telling me there's no money in it etc etc. When I do go out on my own I just need to get a tester and registered could I ask you guys for help and advise

I don't think we're getting the whole story here!

Lofty, what is your position in this organisation and what is your relationship to 'Pete'? Also what level are you at, career wise?

I guess I work for him as he's usually always there but I was left to do that job on my own so that time I was a subby. He does say its best to be a subby but I don't know if he's spinning me a yarn

- - - Updated - - -

I don't work for him all the time just when he had a job come in which isnt that often which might say something

Pc If you want to add anything please feel free mate. Admitably I've become wound up by people saying I've been well and truly used. I'm annoyed with how I've been treated as I'm basically being paid as a labourer only getting to do the rubbish dirty parts of the job. To date I am 2230 and 17th eddition with a couple of years decent experience in the domestic sector.

I liked peter and his mate the were really good to work with but there comes a point when u think hang on and getting £57 a day for doing all that (and being ttold to move the meter, which is apparently illegal) was it . now I just feel like I have been beig used for cheap labour as and when I was needed because I'm a reliable enthusiatic hard worker. Its not as tho i have learnt anything new other then how to roll up insulation and haven't been able to do anything other then the dirty stages of first fixing where I would rip out all the old cables which probably cover my wages anyway.

Quite a lot of the time, these clowns who advertise for sparks to sub out to them, either under quote their jobs to get the work or don't have a clue regards a proper rate for a subbie. They're sat in the world of what you pay them is their take home pay.

They want to pay you an equivalent rate to an employee but don't want to have the responsibilities of all that goes with employing people.

My last enquiry regards subbing out to someone highlighted that they were paying 120 a day CIS. Then they told me I was having to pay my own tax too.
I was always under the impression that with CIS the contracter was to take 20% for your tax. This just goes to show that most of em think they are big boys in the electrical contracting world, where really they ain't a clue.

God only knows how they manage to get by with regard HMRC etc.

Your "position" re wages and tax sounds very dodgy. If the HMRC come knocking, a defence of "ignorance" will not be one they will believe - be warned.

For Surrey your rate is FAR too low.

lofty, if you moved a meter without knowing it is illegal then I would say that you really aren't ready to go out on your own at this time. You will not always be able to ask on the forum when on a job, and trust me, there will be many times when you will need to call on experience to make a decision. I think the builder realises this, which is why he is giving you such a pittance.
Maybe there is an electrician in your area who would employ you to work with him at a decent, but reduced rate.

To be honest Lofty , Guitarist just beat me to it .
At least you are getting paid , all be it poorly !
Their seems to be a fair few , far more qualified on here that can not even get one job in a month at the moment ! So it maybe best for you to just bite your lip and push for more money as and when you can ?

Reply to Feel like I'm being used in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net