Discuss Feel like I'm being used in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Before you walk away from this joker you need to write a letter to him requesting payslips and confirmation that the CIS has been paid, or as others have suggested, you'll be paying again.

I've text him already and he said ok, I think he knows hes been a C word, finally i've woken up to it tho so thats one positive form the whole situation. The annoying thing is I thought he was a really nice bloke but money makes people greedier and greedier the more you've got the more you want.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts etc

I did another 2 days after this job with him, mainly rolling up loft insulation and dropping cables for a rewire and he has said 3.5 days at £75.00 less tax is 210 so what does that work out at

210 / 28 = 7.5 ph after tax, what is it before tax is it 262.5 / 28 which would be 9.37 ph

still he could have made it a tenner if he was decent

I just wrongly assumed that because I had done the hole of instillation I would be paid accordingly, he has chosen not to be decent about it though so sod him ive now seen his true colors and as far as i'm concerned and i'm better of out of there and having a go for myself. fair enough he brought me lunch but ive still got to pay for my own national insurance etc .

I wouldn't worry the OP about testing and such like. I think he just needs to get over it and leave it.

Yes it should be tested and maybe Part P notified. But it seems he has tried to do the right thing and far worse goes off by people who don't know or care about such things.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

This is the biggest problem of the training situation we have now. We are training people in college and sending them out as qualified sparks. I have just completed my level 3 at college and I have an apprenticeship. I learn far more from my boss then I did at college.

Tbh lofty I would be looking for a job as an electricians mate if I was you

No I never tested it becasue I dont have a tester, If I had been left one I would have done so tho, Unfortunately I cant survive on mates rates so it sort of limits my options. Electricians mates just do the rubbish jobs like ge tthe insulation out of the way from my experiemnce, once youve done that once your pretty much clued up in it

thats almost like going backwards, I think the best thing to do is register as part P and start of with jobs i know I can do, get some happy customers and go from there. I cant be going backwards

you could start off with small jobs, non-notifiable, build up, then join a scam when you start getting enquiries for notifiable jobs. don't forget, for industrial/ commercial, part p don't apply. intruder alarms, CCTV, good earners with no part pee.

thats almost like going backwards, I think the best thing to do is register as part P and start of with jobs i know I can do, get some happy customers and go from there. I cant be going backwards

You will not be going forwards though unless you have a plan in place and your eyes wide open. You will need funds for test gear, a job for your part P registration, public liability, funds for getting registered in the first place, funds for advertising, let alone all the other gear you will find you haven't got. Also allow for making a loss for at least the first year.
You have demonstrated that there are huge gaps in your knowledge, and that worries me.

Funds are in place for a tester as well as joining part of a scheme (scam), but as telectrix points out I could start of with small jobs that wouldnt need to be notifiable and then as I start to outgrow these smaller or am being asked to do larger part p required jobs I could either pay to make them notifiable with building control or just join a scheme. Jobs wise I have a full rewire that I did with a college mate for a friend that I can use or a board change that is waiting to be done at my parents. As I underdstand it a simple additional socket will meet the requirments the assesor would be looking for to gain acess tot he scheme. Granted haveing the luxury of all the tools in the world is not there at the moment it simply means I will have to re invest most of my profits (wages) back into my business with all the little bits and bobs one needs the same for public liability. 9/10 im sure you get the job depending on wether the customer likes you on first impression and I think 9/10 they will. That just leaves me to worry about public liability the one thing im unsure of how much it will cost but that is just a phone call away and I doubt it is thousand a year but I could be wrong. Surely if you honest trustworthy reliable and do a good job word of mouth is going to be how I earn a living. I might need a few business cards to start with but after that word of mouth is what im looking for as well as a few builders

A DB change at your parents would be a good start, that's what I did for my firs assessment, as it also gives you time to look over it before hand to ensure everything is correct.

People aren't exactly queuing up at the minute to have work done so unless you have some lined up don't expect the phone to start ringing straight away, also it is worth remembering that you will be competing against "Fred" from down the pub quite a lot who doesn't have the same overheads as you.

Public Liability is about £70 for they year, mine is with AXA and that is up to £2,000,000. If you start doing PAT or EICRs then you will also need Professional Indemnity insurance too.

Adding a socket will not be enough for an assessment. As Dillb says, a CU change is usually the minimum they are looking for with all certificates, and what most of us do. Mine was a CU change and new shower circuit/install. Go onto Elecsa's website for a list of requirements.
Most builders will already have their "preferred electrician", though no harm in asking a few.

Reply to Feel like I'm being used in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net