Discuss Feel like I'm being used in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Alright gaulty whilst I obviously dont agree with what you saying fair play for saying what you think so I know 100 percent that with a bit more experience my business would be a great success. The business side of it is in the bag its just the slight lack of knowledge in some things on the electrical side but I've only got to be shown things once for them sink in.

Not wishing to pick a fight, but if you are being "used" as you describe what make you think that "the business side is in the bag"??

Running a successful business is more tricky than saving up enough money to buy a £800 tester. I'd start by doing a business budget and see how much you really need to spend to get up and running and I suspect it'll be north of £5000

I run my own business, there are lot of people out there who is willing to use people to suit there means, in time you will learn from what they tell you, I always on my guard now i take what ever they say with a pinch of salt. the reason i am still trading is always be upfront with people/client if they try to screw the price down they can find someone else it is better not to do the work then to do it out of pocket.

Dont worry Murdoch as I say we will see where I am in a few years time. I will build my kit up and continue to gain the necessary experience before timing it right for a launch. I am 110% certain that I will be a brilliant sparky with a sucessfull company and if I end up taking anyone on then they will be looked after and treated properly.

How can either one of you be proven right? I think it's perfectly feasible to be bringing in that amount depending on what work you're doing so I think it's bad form to be throwing that word about.
Just my twopennorth

That's a bit aggressive digs.
Oh come on Micky, Sedgy is throwing around figures of 1500 a week to a lad who is asking for advice on a 55 quid day rate. Lofty is asking for advice not a kick in the balls.
I've been quietly following this thread, taking in what peole are saying, but i di meet tradesmen who loudly proclaim they command such and such a day. They get short shrift from me face to face too.
I just don't think his comment was helpful to an obviously intelligent lad.

Oh come on Micky, Sedgy is throwing around figures of 1500 a week to a lad who is asking for advice on a 55 quid day rate. Lofty is asking for advice not a kick in the balls.
I've been quietly following this thread, taking in what peole are saying, but i di meet tradesmen who loudly proclaim they command such and such a day. They get short shrift from me face to face too.

Didn't he relocate a DNO meter?

Dont worry Murdoch as I say we will see where I am in a few years time. I will build my kit up and continue to gain the necessary experience before timing it right for a launch. I am 110% certain that I will be a brilliant sparky with a sucessfull company and if I end up taking anyone on then they will be looked after and treated properly.

You said the business side was in the bag, i.e. now, not in a few years time!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I think all the helpful comments have been ignored. He clearly isn't competent and needs to be taken under someone's wing. He believes that all apprentices/mates do is move insulation. Can't fault lofty for his efforts but maybe if his efforts were aimed at other things electricians mate for decent company) he might be better off in the long run.

cheers Digster. Guitarist, Murdoch and micky86 you not worth conversing with anymore, if your succesfull yourselves then fair play but I bet this is not the case (dont rise to this if its not the case just let it go) . I know matey boy was taking the **** but I just wanted to see what everyone else thought I should have fairly been paid, I was thinking along the lines of a £100. I thank my lucky stars that I dont work for or along side you guys as you sound as though you are cut from the same cloth as Pete . speak to you in 2 years :dita: where ill either have my own little busines or if I can get in with one of the companies mentioned in another post from one of the other guys about becoming a design engineer ill be studying for a HNC

x

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers Digster. Guitarist, Murdoch and micky86 you not worth conversing with anymore, if your succesfull yourselves then fair play but I bet this is not the case. speak to you in 2 years :dita:

Typical. Someone says something you don't want to hear, regardless of how knowledgeable or experienced those people are and it's middle fingers up. You have no idea what you are doing, no test gear and no experience. We all started out supporting you and understood how frustrated you were, regardless of how limited your knowledge was, or how you felt compelled to carry out work illegally and without proper testing. Now I am just sad that I fell for the sob story....

cheers Digster. Guitarist, Murdoch and micky86 you not worth conversing with anymore, if your succesfull yourselves then fair play but I bet this is not the case (dont rise to this if its not the case just let it go) . I know matey boy was taking the **** but I just wanted to see what everyone else thought I should have fairly been paid, I was thinking along the lines of a £100. I thank my lucky stars that I dont work for or along side you guys as you sound as though you are cut from the same cloth as Pete . speak to you in 2 years :dita: where ill either have my own little busines or if I can get in with one of the companies mentioned in another post from one of the other guys about becoming a design engineer ill be studying for a HNC

x

If you want a successful business in 2 years then do a business course, if you want to be an excellent sparky, do that instead. Experience is key mate, learn all you can from people, don't have a go at people.

Betting that people aren't successful is slightly immature of you and just gets people's backs up. An attitude like that and you honestly wouldn't last a week working with a lot of people. Me included. Confidence is an admirable trait but over confidence gets you nowhere

I can't believe I am seeing this thread dragging things down to the level that was present on the Screwfix forum, before I left it.

Could we all be nicer to each other?

I know lofty is a bit green about the ears, but we were all there once before.

I have had hassle getting back into the trade after 8 years in another profession, so I can see where people are coming from. I am time served and I got comments like 'not a real electrician' as I had carried out a management function in a non electrical industry.
It stood me in good stead as I learnt recruitment, employment law etc.- not many sparks know a bit about that

Lofty- I wish you all the best, but you may have to take a lower rate (than normal) to work for a decent firm until things pick up. I was talking to someone today who knew of an apprentice that took a 50% pay cut to keep his job and get his time out- he knew his employer was struggling and couldn't afford to keep him on full time.

Look at the bigger picture- it's better to work for less and learn lots, rather than have a McJob that pays but you will learn little.

I agree mate and I'm happy to do that it's just with these guys it was always the same thing (remove the insulation clip the cables , and do the fist fix chasing the later I enjoyed but there was never anything more then this so I was never able to learn, except for on that job where I was paid 57 for doing the whole thing which I thought was a **** take. I've luckly got a job with a new guy who pays on time with a fair day rate and I don have to wait or chase up my tax vouchers. That and the fact that he lets me do lots of different things electrical shows that there are decent guys to work for out there, and I thank my lucky stars he got in touch from a call a year previous.

Reply to Feel like I'm being used in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net