Discuss Feel like I'm being used in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You need your CIS slips to claim your tax back at the end of the financial year, if he hasn't get them then chances are he is pocketing the money.

HMRC are going to want their cut out of your already meager wages, the contractor will probably claim that you were responsible for paying your own tax, though I'm not sure how that stands legally.

A quick look at the HMRC website seems to suggest that the contractor should be registered with CIS and so is responsible for making deductions for subbys CIS, they are obliged to give you a statement of deductions and payments.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/cis340.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
My rate would be £300 + Materials + Fuel. Not sure what you have set up with this chap, he is mugging you. I have a rule, I only complete a job after a quote in writing has been accepted by the customer. It is the only way to work, everyone knows what they are paying and I know how much I am earning.

Why are you moving a meter? that is only a job for the Supplier. I may be assuming some points as not sure I have the whole picture, but sounds like you are breaking the regs & being paid peanuts for it. I dont touch the meter side for any amount of cash, I wont even pull the supply fuse, always get the customer to get their supplier to fit an isolater if required before I complete the work

sounds like this guys having you off big time,I,m sure if we are honest most of us have pulled a service fuse at some time, but you can be sure it wasn,t for such a small amount, plus breaking seal on meter (some dno,s look at this as worse than pulling a fuse) However one thing you can be absolutely sure of,if it came that dno/supplier decided to make an issue of this firstly they would contact the builder who then and I guarantee you this 100% would turn round and say"well the spark said it was ok to do it" and then its you who ends up in court,not going to criticise your work mate haven,t seen it however what I would say is I think you need to get a bit more streetwise.you are a very fresh fish in an ocean with a lot of sharks and if you aint carefull you,re gonna get a nasty bite! As I said I aint having a go just trying to clue you up a bit.

No I appreciate it boys I wont lie I've worked with so many sparks that just pull the main fuse I thought it was standard practice. Ive got a good mind to call up the guy who told me to do it. Basically to get around this you ask the customer to get there supplier of electricity to come out and fit an isolator so I am able to work safely on the install. What a cheeky *******.

ps how long would this usually take as 9/10 wouldn't the customer/builder just get another sparky who was prepared to do it to do the job because it was quicker then having to wait for the supplier to come out. If i was the customer I would wait and go with the sparks who said they needed an isolator to be fitted but if I was in a rush ......

I guess there's a big danger of blowing myself up pulling the fuse in and out, if no what the reason one cant touch it, am i putting the client at risk by taking it out and the putting it back in, especially once i have lefty and its further down the line?

You are basically taking 90% of the risks and getting 10% of the money

You need experience, but do you need it at any cost?

How much inspection and testing are you getting, how much fitting out are you doing? These are the things that make your trade and experience

ps how long would this usually take as 9/10 wouldn't the customer/builder just get another sparky who was prepared to do it to do the job because it was quicker then having to wait for the supplier to come out. If i was the customer I would wait and go with the sparks who said they needed an isolator to be fitted but if I was in a rush ......

I guess there's a big danger of blowing myself up pulling the fuse in and out, if no what the reason one cant touch it, am i putting the client at risk by taking it out and the putting it back in, especially once i have lefty and its further down the line?

1) If they do get another guy in who is prepared to pull the cut out fuse what have you lost? This guy is having your pants down mate so all you'll be losing is another screwing. Do you need another one? I'd reckon not
2) Yes there are dangers inherent on pulling the fuse, the DNO train their staff to do it safely. That's why we, the untrained, are not supposed to di it

Just looking on the direct gov website for a new job and there's not much on there for GU15 area. Surely I should risk going out on my own even if I am going to encounter moments when I don't know what i'm doing at least this way ill be able to learn fast although I admit it will be unfair if its at the clients cost but that's how it is i'm afraid. Hopefully a sorry look would get me out of most sticky situations. Its either this or change career. If I earn 25 000 a year it will be allot more then what i'm on now or what ill be on with a career change.

Dillb i'm not sure if your trying to wined me up but it's done now mate, all I can do is learn from my mistakes, although I wouldn't say it was a mistake I just put my trust in them and they proved untrustworthy. If he was to laugh in my face though it would be a different story but he wouldn't do that

Sorry didn't mean to rile you.

As for going on your own do you think it is fair to use it to gain experience. I know I wouldn't be best pleased if someome turned saying I will try and do it but promise I will. As has been said get in touch with local firms and see if you can buddy up with them first to gain more experience.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Just looking on the direct gov website for a new job and there's not much on there for GU15 area. Surely I should risk going out on my own even if I am going to encounter moments when I don't know what i'm doing at least this way ill be able to learn fast although I admit it will be unfair if its at the clients cost but that's how it is i'm afraid. Hopefully a sorry look would get me out of most sticky situations. Its either this or change career. If I earn 25 000 a year it will be allot more then what i'm on now or what ill be on with a career change.

Dillb i'm not sure if your trying to wined me up but it's done now mate, all I can do is learn from my mistakes, although I wouldn't say it was a mistake I just put my trust in them and they proved untrustworthy. If he was to laugh in my face though it would be a different story but he wouldn't do that

he is taking the **** mate,dont wait for him to laugh at you,just laugh at him when he tells you what he wants to pay...tell him your price or walk away..pride doesnt pay the bills,neither does what he's paying..

Sorry didn't mean to rile you.

As for going on your own do you think it is fair to use it to gain experience. I know I wouldn't be best pleased if someome turned saying I will try and do it but promise I will. As has been said get in touch with local firms and see if you can buddy up with them first to gain more experience.

I think i've got to take the bull by the horns taking on little jobs from start to finish gradually building my business up. I feel i'm just as capable as everyone else out there just a bit slower and less experienced but ill get there. I wouldn't take on something I didn't know how to do or at least feel confident in doing.

ps I know your not meaning to rile me up but the whole thought of him getting me to put my career at risk for such little money has really hit a nerve with me

Lesson learned. We have all had to learn the hard way at some point. So don't think this is a isolated incident and it just happened to you.

I admire your persistance ans if you feel confident go for it. At least then you can say you have done it.

Good luck for the future. Use this experence as a positive one and don't look back.

Reply to Feel like I'm being used in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net