Discuss Feel like I'm being used in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cheers Digster. Guitarist, Murdoch and micky86 you not worth conversing with anymore, if your succesfull yourselves then fair play but I bet this is not the case (dont rise to this if its not the case just let it go) . I know matey boy was taking the **** but I just wanted to see what everyone else thought I should have fairly been paid, I was thinking along the lines of a £100. I thank my lucky stars that I dont work for or along side you guys as you sound as though you are cut from the same cloth as Pete . speak to you in 2 years :dita: where ill either have my own little busines or if I can get in with one of the companies mentioned in another post from one of the other guys about becoming a design engineer ill be studying for a HNC

x

Just To let you know mate, I have just finished my level 3 (this month) after 3 yrs at college. I am still learning off my boss, everyday is a learning curve. I get paid £60 a day. I have my own van, my own tools, my own power tools and my
Own tester. I worked seven days a week to get as far as I am now. I am 28 yrs old.
I've not met Pete but If he's cut from the same cloth as us he must be a decent bloke. Maybe your the problem???

I know you asked not to rise but I couldn't help it. You asked for advice and you sniggered to it all

ROME WASN'T BUILT IN A DAY

agreed!!! you cant buy experience and you should look at it as that, doesnt matter how much the guy was charging for you to do them works. The way i see that he has confidence in you to do what you were asked to do (dont agree with moving the meter though) also take on board any advice given on here as constructive this makes you a better tradesman in the future and yes i agree with you you probably will be a good sparky but tone down the eago until you can demand big wages as a subby. and then you will actually be ready for your own business, dont forget experience is the key!!

Its not wise to aim to offend anyone, I believe that whilst the responses could have been worded better, the points were valid and you should take them as constructive. I don't know anyone that has gone from apprentice to successful business owner in 2 years. There is just so much to learn. I'm not going to comment as regards who well I or anyone else is doing, as it is irrelevant to this thread.

When I was starting out 10 years ago (I'm 31 now) the bloke I was working with told me a golden bit of advice as I was a little cocky. He said "Keep your head down, do as your told and no matter what people say or how they say it, take it on board with a smile". I thought he was an idiot, but he was right, even when people seem to be having a go at you for something, there is probably a reason why and a lesson to be learnt from it.

lofty, I'm glad that you were only aiming to offend the 3 of us. After over 20 years as an electrician/electrical engineer, having undergone a real apprenticeship, I've seen lots of kids come and go, full of bravado and insults. As I said earlier, we were completely behind you until you started taking umbrage over some quite friendly jibes. I don't want to lower myself to your level, and I certainly wouldn't stick my middle fingers up to someone on a public forum, but I think your attitude is awful.

Well maybee I got the wrong end of the stick but my impression was you were being an arsehole and were one of those people people were afraid to ask help of of. Looks like I was wrong so honestly Appologies about that I was just sticking up for myself.

Part of your problem mate is that I dont think you have had anyone show you how to do the job,being a sparks mate isnt all about clipping cables and shifting crap,its a bit like being an apprentice no spark worth calling a spark ever lets anyone come on a job and go straight in at the deep end,thats irresponsible and dangerous.Now I want you to think very carefully about this next bit cause it,s gonna save you a heap of grief!You think you,re a bit hot headed right,well in my time I,ve punched out more people than goldilocks had porridge,where did it get me?nowhere!I cant judge you as I don,t know you but take the time and learn the craft with someone properly,before I retired I was a damned good spark and yet when I went working for a new firm they never let me go in at the top,ok after a couple of days they know wether your,e up to it or not BUT it takes time,there are obviously quite a few things you need to learn so get the books out and have a read,at least that way although you may not fully understand everything you will be able to have a decent idea when talking to other sparks.Anything worth having aint handed you on a plate,there are loads of sparks out there and you need to be aiming to be one of the best,or do other things beside sparking,alarms cctv,etc .Dont take anything I,ve said as a dig just think about it,you know it makes sense!

Well maybee I got the wrong end of the stick but my impression was you were being an arsehole and were one of those people people were afraid to ask help of of. Looks like I was wrong so honestly Appologies about that I was just sticking up for myself.

I admit that sometimes I am hard on people, but I was being quite gentle with you tbh. I trained under some pretty hard people myself, but I know that they had my best interests at heart. I have personally trained several apprentices over the years as an industrial electrical engineer and there is no room for mistakes. As phil has said, it takes time to get to know someone before you "let them loose" on the important stuff, and I am genuinely concerned that you don't have enough of the basics in place to go out on your own. That is not me being an a***hole, but just someone who has seen it all go wrong too many times when someone gets out of their depth. Unfortunately, we have lost most of the traditional apprenticeships where you would have started by making the tea and cleaning up (all good social development), then worked alongside a real idiot (to prove you had patience), then worked with the top guys (to teach you how little you actually knew), before finally doing it for yourself (where you would mess it up and get a clip round the ear).
It was a circle of life/pecking order kind of thing, rather than the "get trained quick" rubbish out there now, and our profession is poorer for it.
It's good to stick up for yourself. Just try not to make enemies in the process, and if you do, then make damn sure you know your onions or they'll eat you alive :)

im assuming you have all kissed and made up now!!

Please now close this thread MR MODERATOR!! OR your FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!! pretty please lol

Someone advised contacting my local council and asking for a schedule of rates for electrocal work I'm not sure if they give these out readily or I will have done well to obtain one. Either way I'm going to give it a go

- - - Updated - - -

Someone advised contacting my local council and asking for a schedule of rates for electrocal work I'm not sure if they give these out readily or I will have done well to obtain one. Either way I'm going to give it a go

Reply to Feel like I'm being used in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net