Discuss Full rcbo boards???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I got a Ra of 4 ohms the other day tho I used the structural steel as the electrode.
All bolted together about 10 lengths of steel into the foundations.

I know the kqi Schneider rcbo instructions tell you not to bundle the neutrals together but can cut to length.
They recommend if the functional earth is cut then a bootlace is fitted due to crushing of the fine strands when tightend in the terminals
Temporary supply mate, might be in a month max. Probably try blag the company to give him the cable and gear back since they won't use it :D did on the last tempory supply we did haha

Boss does the testing, I took a Zs at the board after I finished. That's what I was referencing

Does your boss not include you in the testing process? Did you see him set up temporary electrodes and test the earth rod at any point in time?

Your Zs measurement almost certainly did not include the earth rod. You will have been testing via the cpc straight back to the star point via the N-E link at the generator

With a generator fed installation the earth electrode is the earth reference of your TNS system. In comparison to a normal installation the generator is equivalent to the substation transformer.

Wonder if it actually makes a difference or it's just them putting their tin hats on.

Duely noted though.

Yes it does make a difference, cables bundled tightly together get hot. I've replaced a couple of rcbos with overheated neutral tails over the years, some from bundling up and some from a lack of ferrules. It's always been on the larger sizes of rcbo where the neutral tail is seeing it's full rated current.

Does your boss not include you in the testing process? Did you see him set up temporary electrodes and test the earth rod at any point in time?

Your Zs measurement almost certainly did not include the earth rod. You will have been testing via the cpc straight back to the star point via the N-E link at the generator

With a generator fed installation the earth electrode is the earth reference of your TNS system. In comparison to a normal installation the generator is equivalent to the substation transformer.
Yeah the rod doesn't form part of the earth fault loop impedance path so an earth electrode tester is the only way to test the electrode.

I was given a value of below 200 ohms which is also mentioned in the on suite guide for installing generators over 10kva.
I know the supply electrode at the transformer end in a substation set up is normally quoted at 21 ohms max.

Ze Seams high tho if the generator is a TNS which they normally are.

Last edited:

Hardly if ever. Going to ask soon since I'm going into my forth year in July.

I didn't see him do that. Haha looks like he's been caught out.

Main supply is coming in soon, the company wants it connecting upto that once it gets put in.

I always shorten and ferrule the Neutral and Functions Earths. That's if i'm not installing the SBS compacts as Lee mentioned. They are a joy to work with!

Board1.jpg

Hardly if ever. Going to ask soon since I'm going into my forth year in July.

I didn't see him do that. Haha looks like he's been caught out.

Main supply is coming in soon, the company wants it connecting upto that once it gets put in.

There are a scary number of electricians who don't seem to understand the subject. A lot of electricians don't go near independent generator supplies and so never have the need to think about it.

Reply to Full rcbo boards???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net