Discuss Full rcbo boards???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The only thing I don't like about RCBO's, is there's no obvious sign as to whether it's the rcd or mcb element that has tripped. I understand most user instructions suggest trying to reset 'once', and sparks flying out of the thing might give the game away, but you'd think the manufactures might of developed some form of visual indicator (someone's gonna tell me there is). Seem to recall the early MK RCBO's tripped to the half way point, if it was the rcd?

Think the regulation is every connection shall have adequate mechanical strength and be suitable for the terminal or something along those lines

Regs don't require ferrules be fitted.
They require the fine stranded wire be protected against damage from the screw terminals which can be satisfied by twisting and then doubling over the strands.

The requirement is that the conductor ends be suitably treated, which as usual is as clear as mud.
But, twisting and doubling over does not provent the strands from being broken when the screw is tightened, if you undo the screw and take the conductor out you will find a number of broken strands.
Ultrasonic welding and ferrules are the two commonly used methods which actually work.

I believe that regulation regards fine wire only.
It's upto the installer to be satisfied that the connection made is electrically sound and is suitable terminated.
If worried about crushing then use a torque screwdriver to manufacturers instructions

Regardless of which rules and regulations they fall under I'm talking about fine stranded flexible copper cable tightened with a screw terminal and without further 'treatment' , and with absolutely no ill effects.

Yes there are a lot of fine stranded cables terminated in screw terminals with no ill effects, but there are also a lot which have failed as a result of it.
I find it hard to believe that you have never encountered a flexible conductor which has been damaged by the tightening of a screw terminal.

any plug fitted by a manufacturer or supplier of appliances will have ferrules used on the flex, all of the equipment which we get new with a fitted flex has ferrules on the end ready for connection.
The standards which apply to equipment building, panel building etc all require ferrules.

Should we all just stick our heads in the sand and resist simple changes which make things just a little bit better?

In my opinion and experience fine stranded conductors when twisted tightly and even doubled can become much more rigid and tightening under a flat or rounded bottom terminal screw doesn't cause any significant damage.

I believe that regulation regards fine wire only.
It's upto the installer to be satisfied that the connection made is electrically sound and is suitable terminated.
If worried about crushing then use a torque screwdriver to manufacturers instructions

And flex is a fine wire conductor.

Applying the correct torque won't prevent the fine strands of flex from being damaged, that's why the regulations require that ends be suitably treated

Yes there are a lot of fine stranded cables terminated in screw terminals with no ill effects, but there are also a lot which have failed as a result of it.
I find it hard to believe that you have never encountered a flexible conductor which has been damaged by the tightening of a screw terminal.

any plug fitted by a manufacturer or supplier of appliances will have ferrules used on the flex, all of the equipment which we get new with a fitted flex has ferrules on the end ready for connection.
The standards which apply to equipment building, panel building etc all require ferrules.

Should we all just stick our heads in the sand and resist simple changes which make things just a little bit better?

No I'm all for changes which make things better Dave and actively try new products and methods but ferrules aren't always necessary and could be seen as another attempt to make something 'idiot proof'.

Take 1mm I double it up when terminating especially in db terminals mcb etc but take it out and it looks damaged regardless yet I'd say this is a fine wire that requires no specific treatment to it.
Most cases a doubled over flex is a better connection in my opinion.
I'm not convinced by that regulation perhaps connecting flex to copper say in a connection block then it may apply more id say.

Reply to Full rcbo boards???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net