Discuss Fusebox being fed by a ring main in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

is it a good design - course not.
is it normal practice - nope
is it dangerous - not really

no matter what you add to the ring and however its wired its still limited to 32A.
if you replaced the remote CU with 3 spurs to feed those sockets and lights no-one would bat an eyelid.
the only downsides are uneven loading of the ring legs and no dicrimination between the mcbs.

must dash now , tels pulling a fast one in our chess game lol..........

is it a good design - course not.
is it normal practice - nope
is it dangerous - not really

no matter what you add to the ring and however its wired its still limited to 32A.
if you replaced the remote CU with 3 spurs to feed those sockets and lights no-one would bat an eyelid.
the only downsides are uneven loading of the ring legs and no dicrimination between the mcbs.

must dash now , tels pulling a fast one in our chess game lol..........

Sorry Biff but I HAVE to disagree. You could easily overload the RFC with such a configuration and it needs to be reviewed/improved. Anyone adding further sockets/breakers to the DB needs their bumps felt.

Sorry Biff but I HAVE to disagree. You could easily overload the RFC with such a configuration and it needs to be reviewed/improved. Anyone adding further sockets/breakers to the DB needs their bumps felt.

what happens when you overload a circuit protected by a mcb thats correctly rated for the job ?
it trips.......

If, as I read it, the RFC feeding the sub-board is taken directly from the CU main switch, then it IS dangerous, as there is no protection for that pair of T&E other than the main fuse. If, on the other hand, it's as I sometimes see it (An RFC from a 30 amp fuse feeding a sub-board), then as Biff says, it's protected and safe (however rubbish it might seem).

I have seen this happen before, when kitchen fitters have been around they do it so that the sockets etc within the area they are working comply with the regs as far as being protection via Rcbos.

Like others have already said it protected via 32amp so no overload to worry about

I would say that this spur off a RFC has now got out of control. You can't just keep adding to this spurred off CU, which may have been all well and good originally, just to supply a couple of sockets and a bit of lighting. Up to you, but i'd personally decline supplying any more sockets to this spurred CU, ...enough is enough!! lol!!

You could end up running the RFC at 32 amps constantly, a RFC is design with diversity in mine i.e. it will not run 32 amp all the time I have seen a RFC
installed to supply 3 heaters, T&E had over heated and gone brittle when I check current draw it was between 30 and 34 amps

I would have thought the major problem with this design is the size of the spur cable. If 2.5 T & E then this would almost certainly be overloaded. If the board was spurred off the RFC via an FCU with 13A fuse fitted then it is still a poor design but not dangerous. If the the spur is 4mm then not quite as bad but poor design due to loading in one section of RFC.

You could end up running the RFC at 32 amps constantly, a RFC is design with diversity in mine i.e. it will not run 32 amp all the time I have seen a RFC
installed to supply 3 heaters, T&E had over heated and gone brittle when I check current draw it was between 30 and 34 amps

cant believe this post hasnt been pulled........

2 x 2.5mm T&E legs combined is good for around 50A clipped direct so i dont see how
32A is going to trouble it in any way ?
and i guarantee if you were to test the cable to destruction it will probably carry double that before the insulation is toast.
absolutely no design issues arise when running a properly installed circuit to its max mcb rating , hence the cornerstone principle of In > or = to Ib.
diversity doesnt even come into it IMO.

Reply to Fusebox being fed by a ring main in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net