Discuss Green Deal & Eco Funds in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That's not good news Gavin a lot of the guys on the gas forum I go on are installing as many as 5 boilers a week and I doubt many could could wait 90 days for payment.
that's if they get paid at all, sounds likethis firm is just bumping each new fitter that comes along, then dangling the carrot of 5 installs a week in front of the next mug...

should have had the same emphasis on short maximium payment terms as has apparently been going on in the public sector in recent years - one of the stupid things about out sourcing it all to the private sector so that normal public sector procurement rules such as this don't apply (although obviously those same procurement rules are a complete nightmare in other respects).

Was talking to someone I know who is a private landlord with quite a few tenants in receipt of benefits. He will get new boilers FOC for a number of his properties under ECO but delivered through large organisations. He knows that if he had to pay himself, the same work would be a whole lot cheaper. So these companies are playing it both ends. The whole programme stinks. It is time to get rid of these middle men and get their ugly snouts out of the trough.

Total revision of the Green Deal is the only way to sort this.

This sounds bad news all round. I am pas aproved but am unsure now. Is there no company that is good to deal with provider wise or are they all a shower of bad stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
The £20m community GD fund launched made me laugh today. Innovative new ideas of going street by street in an area, cos that's never been done successfully before has it! Lots & lots of talk about "blending" ECO & GD giving some credit to what Worcester was saying a couple of weeks ago about the GD & ECO being merged. The best bit was that you are measured on GDP take up on the one hand but on the other it's not all about GDPs. Total mess.

The blog about why the last report released from DECC about house prices and EPC's being linked was even more shambolic. I'm glad we're not involved but I really feel for those who took the plunge & spent time and money getting ready for it.

the late payments mentioned are down to the utility companys not sorting the backlog quickly enough
most installers will suffer from this.

Yup that's what they've been saying since 1998 when they started having to pay for this sort of thing under SOP. You'd have thought they would have got that backlog sorted by now! Just remember where the power (and cash) lies. As long as you have the cash to bankroll the utilities (tail wagging dog) then you've got a chance of outliving those with little or no funds.

Ive just got off the phone with the energy saving trust and they say ECO only covers gas boilers and insulation. Is that right?

no. Though that could be right in your circumstances maybe as tehre are different strands of funding that different situations are eligible for or not

ECO consists of three parts.

1. Carbon Emission Reduction Obligation (CERO) which is for insulation of solid wall and hard-to-treat cavity wall properties or connection to a district heating system (in association with the insulation). Available to anyone with an eligible property as determined by a chartered surveyor.
2. Carbon Saving Community Obligation (CSCO) for people who live in specific geographic locations (there is a list of these) and covers insulation and associated connection to a district heating system. Part of this obligation is for people who are members of the Affordable Warmth Group.
3. Home Heating Cost Reduction Obligation (HHCRO) is to provide measures to homeowners who are in receipt of specific welfare benefits (including members of the Affordable Warmth Group).

A full list of the eligible measures for each part is available here: http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Sustainabil...st of Measures and Additional Information.pdf

Under HHCRO virtually all of the measures are eligible where they result in cost savings for the homeowner or improve their ability to affordably heat their home. Being a homeowner is critical for HHCRO; it is not available for tenants. CERO and CSCO are available to anyone who is a domestic energy user.

Thanks Fellas.

If anyone covers the North West of England and fits boilers etc could you send me a message and I'll pass on the details.

Not having a lot of luck trying to get a decent rate from providers that are accepting new installers. Off for a meeting with Green Deal Central tomorrow so I hope a good deal can be made.
If not then I don't know what to do, we currently have 5 jobs ready to roll and around 30+ jobs pre qualified ready to survey and EPC.

Not having a lot of luck trying to get a decent rate from providers that are accepting new installers. Off for a meeting with Green Deal Central tomorrow so I hope a good deal can be made.
If not then I don't know what to do, we currently have 5 jobs ready to roll and around 30+ jobs pre qualified ready to survey and EPC.

Pm me matey

Just as an update - we are now getting funding through Green Deal Central fitting 2-5 boilers per week. Were having to turn some jobs down due to low funding though.

Thanks Eco Deal, Just HHCRO - boilers I'm dealing with at present. Off out on a solar pv install today, pm me your number and I'll try and remember to give you a ring tomorrow.

DECC consultation on changes to ECO closes 16 April - https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/the-future-of-the-energy-company-obligation

One of the main changes that could help homeowners will be the inclusion of loft and cavity wall insulation under CERO.

Crucially it is clear that standard insulation opportunities can, at the moment, deliver carbon
savings at lower cost per tonne in ECO subsidy than harder to treat measures. In the context of
immediate concerns about the overall costs of ECO and its impact upon consumer bills, it is
more difficult to justify a policy which excludes these measures. The Government therefore
proposes that loft insulation (including both virgin and top-up loft insulation) and standard cavity
wall insulation measures installed from April 2014 should be eligible as primary measures under
CERO. Therefore, the current differentiation between hard-to-treat and standard cavities would
be removed, with all forms of cavity wall potentially eligible for treatment under CERO

We would propose that the eligibility rules, as set out under the current legislation, on measures
under CERO would continue to apply to the new primary measures. So to qualify under CERO
loft and cavity wall insulation will have to:
a. be a recommended measure;
b. improve the insulation properties of the premises; and
c. comply with PAS 2030.

For loft insulation as a new primary measure Government recognise that a de-minimis level for
the depth and area of the insulation is appropriate to ensure optimal treatment prior to triggering
secondary measures. We therefore propose that to support the ‘secondary measure’ status of
another measure loft insulation must be:
a. installed in lofts which currently have less than or equal to 150mm of insulation (to a
level of at least 250mm of insulation); and
b. installed to at least 50 per cent of the total area of the loft.

For cavity wall insulation as a new primary measure we propose that a de-minimis level for the
area of the insulation is appropriate prior to triggering secondary measures. We therefore
propose that to support the ‘secondary measure’ status of another measure cavity wall
insulation must be installed to at least 50 per cent of the total exterior-facing walls of the
premises.

Reply to Green Deal & Eco Funds in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net