Discuss Have a major problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm not an electrician ,I'm a builder.

a month ago we had an electrician in first fixing, after he left some capping fell off and i put it back on with a nail. turns out i nicked the cable but it wasnt live until yesterday when he second fixed the outside light and powered on and left. I wasnt on site but later the customers got a shock from the wall several feet from the cable, the whole wall was live , because it was damp from the plastering i had done (like 3 weeks ago) and i nicked the cable. so its all my fault i am told.

Should this not have been picked up on the insulation resistance test?
And why did the electrics not trip? i mean if i put the nail into the cable today would it trip or would the whole wall be live? i got a severe telling off for putting customers lives at risk but builders sometimes damage hidden cables and it always trips and never in my life have i heard of a whole wall being live like this was.

Please post honest opinions. i need to know if its my fault.

thanks
James

Hi guys, i'm not an electrician ,I'm a builder.

a month ago we had an electrician in first fixing, after he left some capping fell off and i put it back on with a nail. turns out i nicked the cable but it wasnt live until yesterday when he second fixed the outside light and powered on and left. I wasnt on site but later the customers got a shock from the wall several feet from the cable, the whole wall was live , because it was damp from the plastering i had done (like 3 weeks ago) and i nicked the cable. so its all my fault i am told.

Should this not have been picked up on the insulation resistance test?
And why did the electrics not trip? i mean if i put the nail into the cable today would it trip or would the whole wall be live? i got a severe telling off for putting customers lives at risk but builders sometimes damage hidden cables and it always trips and never in my life have i heard of a whole wall being live like this was.

Please post honest opinions. i need to know if its my fault.

thanks
James
This Electrician that did the first fix, was he the same Electrician who di the 2nd fix and testing and eventually livening up the installation?

If the problem only shows with the light in question switched on the fault is between the switched live and earth and if said switch was off [which it shouldn't have been] when he tested it wouldn't have shown up. But regardless it should operate the RCD - unless the nail has severed the CPC and there's no continuity on it back to the CU.

Reply to Have a major problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net