Discuss I get it, FAST TRACK courses are more than frowned upon.......BUT; in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm with @Vortigern. Just get on with it. This reminds me of a previous life in the RAF where going through training, 3/4 years on site as mechanic further training and then as technician. They introduced Direct entry (DE) where you could just join as a technician and it upset the world, well all the other mechanics - someone with little experience can easily be made to look a fool by those with it - that doesn't make it right. Would I be a better driver if I did a 40 hr week intensive or over weeks / months? No. Passing the test is when you start to learn. Get the qualification and then never forget to start learning... again.

I am livening proof, done my gas safe training in 2017, 16 weeks got my ticket at the age of 53. Do I feel qualified? no not really because I have not done a full apprenticeship in this field experience etc , however 40 years in the electrical industry yes have the confidence to say yes this is my game.

Times have changed, my point is as above the world has changed so push on.!! ( cannon fodder)

I was 26 when i started my level 2. 3 kids and a mortgage. I did level 2 2 days a weel and worked part time in a non electrical role...so basically i gave up full time work for it. After my first year i got an apprenticeship and 2 years later i passed and im now reaping the benefits.
On my first ever job with the company who took me they also had an agency worker help me and the electrician who had done a short course he was early 50's...utterly useless, couldn't wrap his head around loop in loop out lighting (didnt even know switch fed) or how to wire a ring circuit as it was too confusing to him (i wish i was joking) and this man actually advertised himself out to the general public.

As well as the experience and knowledge you gain from being an apprentice its also the reward of gaining that qualification at the end.
To many people are too quick to find the fast route around things nowadays and dont wanna put the hard work in.

Short courses serve a purpose and I believe if you are a good trades person then you can benifit from these short courses, and will probably work to a good standard.
My main issue is that many people that take these short courses dont care, they will just go out and advertise themselves electricians after 6 weeks, some work outside their comfort zone. The short course only gives the basics needed to work on domestic installations, and it can be a really good way of getting your foot in the door but unfortunately its open to abuse. If your thinking of trying to get a job working for a good wage on a company after completing a Part P course it might be harder than expected as people advertising for electricians are after electricians (not domestic installers) so its worth bearing that in mind. Many people are forced to go self employed after taking the course because the training centre's did not explain this to them properly.

Articles like this really get my back up, especially the final thoughts...
Electrician: Domestic Installer - https://electricianqualifications.info/electrician-domestic-installer/

Good luck whatever you choose.

And here's me thinking Part P is a Building reg, didn't realise it was a Domestic Installer competence test;
(ignore the their competent which should be their competence or that they're competent , it's not the only error as Tel spotted)

"Under current government regulations anyone who does this kind of work must prove their competent to do so, this is called the part P scheme."

And here's me thinking Part P is a Building reg, didn't realise it was a Domestic Installer competence test;
(ignore the their competent which should be their competence or that they're competent , it's not the only error as Tel spotted)

"Under current government regulations anyone who does this kind of work must prove their competent to do so, this is called the part P scheme."
well spotted that man.give yourself a 18th edition cigar .

Personally, it’s not the people taking the courses that bother me, it’s the people offering the corses.
Statements like “Everything you need to turn professional”.
Followed by this list of qualifications:
Part P domestic installer,
Building Regulations for electrical installations in dwellings,
Pat testing,
18th edition wiring regulations,
Fundamental testing and inspecting,
Initial verification,
Periodic inspection and testing.

To my mind, the first 3 qualifications are a complete waste of money.
The Part P domestic installer qualification is intended for plumbers and kitchen fitters who may want to wire up a boiler or add a couple of sockets in a kitchen.

Who needs a qualification to read the Approved Document Part P?

What has testing Portable Appliance got to do with electrical installation?

The 18th edition is an update course intended for electricians who were trained to earlier editions.
Electricians trained to the 18th should not need updating.

Fundamental inspection and testing should be part of your core electrical training, as should be initial verification.

Periodic inspection and testing is intended for experienced electricians trained to conduct periodic inspections.

Apart from the fact that there is no core electrical qualifications being offered, there’s also no mention of AM2 or NVQ3.
From what I understand, the NVQ3 is required by the schemes as well as the JIB (which also requires the AM2 to be graded).
The trainees only find out that they need the NVQ3 after they’ve completed the courses and then try to register with a scheme or the JIB.

Reply to I get it, FAST TRACK courses are more than frowned upon.......BUT; in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net