Discuss Integrated appliances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tim

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Something me and a friend disagree on

What is the defination of an integrated appliance.

Is it an appliance that sits in a hole under a worktop or to be 'integrated' does it have to be fixed to the worktop and ajoining cupboards? Or do both mean it is integrated?

The question came up as according to the electricians guide to part p integrated appliances need to have an accessible spur, preferably above the worktop, but what is the defination of integrated.

Thanks in advance
Tim

For me an integrated appliance would be something that is built into a system and for a kitchen that normally means it's fixed to the surrounding cabinets and Incorporates a door to simulate the appliance as part of the cabinet work

The reason the guide suggests the use of an accessible isolation point above the worktop is in event of a fault on the appliance you can isolate it and re-activate the circuit, while you start to dismantle the cabinets to get it out to repair

If the appliance in question is a washing machine, not integrated, but heavy and the homeowners are elderly do you think that accessible isolation is require.

This is one of the really awful bits of the regs and I would say that NO applicance should have isolation hidden behind it, if the socket or FCU isn't accessible within an easy arms reach, without having to pull the applicance out.

If you are the designer do what you think is right.

Integrated as in forms part of, describes appliances fixed in place within units.

If it can be pulled out (even if it takes Arni to do it) it's not integrated.

Why anyone would NOT put isolation above or nearby for any unit is a mystery even if it's not in the regs.
I'm sure in the 15th regs it applied to all appliances under the worktop and they couldn't have 13amp plugs on.

Cheers for the replys, we were not disagreeing on wether you should put an isolation point above, just wether you have to.

As snowhead said theres no reason not to.

My interpretation was the same as the majority, that integrated means fixed, and that if you can pull it out it does not need a fcu, but its good practice to fit one anyway.

Thanks,
Tim

Integrated to me is as others have said 'removal of screws and dismantling requires', I would though consider it good practice to provide above work top isolation for all appliances.

Washing machines sold as integrated,ie they have a door fitted to the front to match the other cabinets are not securd to the surrounding cabinets but are free standing due to the vibration caused during the wash cycle, therefore they dont need tools to remove them-inegrated or not?

Washing machines sold as integrated,ie they have a door fitted to the front to match the other cabinets are not securd to the surrounding cabinets but are free standing due to the vibration caused during the wash cycle, therefore they dont need tools to remove them-inegrated or not?
Theyre intergrated in the sense they match in with the cupboard run, but yes, the machine is not fixed in anyway, and you can pull them out with the wooden door on, as its attached to the front of the washing machine itself

Theyre intergrated in the sense they match in with the cupboard run, but yes, the machine is not fixed in anyway, and you can pull them out with the wooden door on, as its attached to the front of the washing machine itself

Iknow that,thats what I was stating but does that make it integrated or not

Its sold as one, but id say its the same as under counter freestanding machines, as there is no tools needed to take out.
Sorry if ive repeated something youve already said, been lazy and not read all of the other posts.

my washing machine is not integrated, she comes out of the kitchen sometimes.

Reply to Integrated appliances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net