Discuss micc on rcbo in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am asking if the neutral core is connected to the RCBO and not to the neutral bar, as if you have been swapping back and forth MCB to RCBO this could get missed.
If the light fittings are class II then there cannot be an earth fault there so there must be something else causing the problem.

That is my thought as well especially if all the ir tests come back fine. I didn't mention it because he/she has ignored all my questions.

Don't know if this has been asked and I can't be bothered to look back, what voltage was the IR test done at?

with the ciircuit connected to MCB, get an earth leakage clamp meter on the job. IR test can sometimes be inconclusive.

Used MICC in Council new build flats in the 60s (1960s for the comedians out there)

Yep, the old council spec was mostly either steel conduit or micc both for the flats and communal areas on the local authority where I used to work.

Nowadays its thrown in, cheap and work that a bloke pulled off the street could put his hand to in a day. :(

when back to day to look at the job.on to test the micc the reading went mental on IR
looked at the bathroom enclosed light the bowl was full of water & the base
the only thing was missing a gold fish . found out the flat above had a leek
went to the flat below

yes pete999 tested line to earth >999 neutral to earth >999

when back to day to look at the job.on to test the micc the reading went mental on IR
went to the flat below

Now I'm really confused!

went to the flat below

Translation probably something like:

Went back today to look at the job again. Ran IR test on the MICC but the reading was low. Found a bathroom light that was full of water from the flat above causing the fault. Problem solved, thanks for your input everybody.

I think hightower has probably got it spot on there. Daz

So the RCBO was doing the job it was designed for I wondow how long the MCB would of held before it went bang!
Surprised that the IR test didnt reveal leakage I am surpised re the readings (IR)that were posted!

Thanks for the translation Hightower !!!

So the RCBO was doing the job it was designed for I wondow how long the MCB would of held before it went bang!
Surprised that the IR test didnt reveal leakage I am surpised re the readings (IR)that were posted!

Thanks for the translation Hightower !!!
Must agree the IR must have been low anyway, init.

Jeez this is alarming. Wouldn't you investigate the said lights on the circuit? Maybe open them up for a visual at least. From my experience with Pyro i guarantee the OP has taken a initial IR reading and has not left the meter on long enough to establish a stable reading. MICC can jump sporadically. Then stabilise with resistance going higher or slowly moving gradually lower which would concern me if it fell below the required value.

Reply to micc on rcbo in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net