Discuss Multimeter suggestions in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jeez Lanky you must have had good bosses, I've always had to provide my own kit. Except one firm that let you use their gear on a job by job basis, had to be signed for & returned at the end of the day though.
What used to happen a lot was that a firm would provide you basic kit & then take a bit out of your wages each week to pay for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi PEG: Sounds good, any specs on it anywhere ?
Hi,yep,the detailed spec i have,is on a Megger Power On sales catalogue,given to me last year.
It describes the AVO800 series,which are two models,AVO830 and AVO835,the later being what caught my eye.

It was meant to be available in March,now i think it is June,but they seems a shroud of mystery around any further information. The spec,features and build look awesome (to a self-confessed tool------) and the rep assured me i would get one of the first sold,after offering to pay in advance,to prove my fervour...

If i find out someone has got one before me,i will be getting the catsuit,grapnel and glass-cutter,out of the sock drawer,and heading out in the early hours...;)

Yes mate they were bought out by fluke, always loved Robin test equipment nearly as much as Avo. Was always quality, reliable gear, first bench oscilloscope I ever owned was made by Robin & still works perfectly 30 years later.

I have a little Robin multimeter,with a mini DC fork current attachment,which must be 30 years old. I have seen an identical model,a few years ago,branded with another maker. It still works fine,and for fault finding on smaller plant/vehicles,is second to none,having paid for itself hundreds of times over :)

Seem to recall getting it from RS components as a gift,alongside a large order.

Lord, I had one of those for years. My mate needed a meter for doing appliances a few years back, so it ended up in his hands & he still has it.
Think nowadays they're branded Kyoritsu.

still can't beat one of these bad boys:

8mk5.jpg

note the 3000V termimal. beats your 1000V hands down.

what's wrong with the leads. at least they're red and black so's you know which is which.

i'd not put my fingers on the bare metal croc clips. that's a given. :(

still can't beat one of these bad boys:

8mk5.jpg

note the 3000V termimal. beats your 1000V hands down.
Nice, now there your looking at quality. I've still got a Mk3, Mk5 & Mk6. The six only goes up to 1Kv though, too heavy & expensive to carry nowadays though.
Even still got a couple of 7's knocking about on the back of a shelf somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree with you Rob, but years ago that's what we had & that's what we used.
The leads that came with the 8 were much better quality than the leads that come with meters nowadays.

Reply to Multimeter suggestions in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net