Discuss Multimeter suggestions in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Totally agree with you Rob, but years ago that's what we had & that's what we used.
The leads that came with the 8 were much better quality than the leads that come with meters nowadays.

We had AVO8's when I started out in quarrying.

Yes the meters themselves were build to last, a lot more robust than anything on the market now.

I'd say the modern leads with my fluke are superior. Yes, a lot of them now are cheap crap. I remember having to re solder my AVO8 leads a couple of times, never had to do that with the ones I have now.

Can't comment on Fluke leads overall, but the leads that came with my Fluke 10 weren't particularly impressive.
In comparison the leads that came with my Mk3 Ago 8 have stood the test of time, the case sadly is another matter.

Hi Steve: Wasn't the original 117 made in the USA ?, then production changed to China. Or am I confusing it with another model ?.
I Honestly don't know.
Its a meter that has served me well, and mentioning it in a now historic post, was slated simply because it is apparently made in China, and does not carry the Fluke lifetime guarantee.
I've never had any problems with it.

Just an update on the Megger AVO835 ,they contacted me today,regarding release date,and it is now August. Compliance issues,apparently...i feel like Charlie,waiting to unwrap that ruddy chocolate bar...

Thanks for the update PEG, hopefully you'll get one eventually. By the time it gets here you could have it as an early Christmas present :)

Hi: How do you mean they're own branded stuff ? Di log kit is sold by loads of people, take a look at TLC Direct they sell them.
As for using them: Yep had one & gave it away, didn't like the thing at all & to me it had no feeling of quality or that it would last. Amprobe do some nice trms & they're made by fluke nowadays apparently, but a lot cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the fluke 117 but I just don't have the budget for it so I'm going to have to buy something cheaper for the short period.

I'm looking at one of these. Anyone used one? It's cef's own branded stuff.

TRMS Digital Multimeter | City Electrical Factors - http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/1120733-trms-digital-multimeter
can't go wrong with this:
Megger AVO410 Digital Multimeter - AVO 410 Multi Meter from Megger - https://www.test-meter.co.uk/megger-avo410-digital-multimeter/

Amprobe or Extech or Megger are equally as good as fluke & have better prices.
The meter in my avatar for example is the Amprobe 34 xra, cost something like £129.00 10 years ago & still works perfectly.

Yeh I know. I just can't afford the price of the fluke. I need something that ticks the boxes won't maybe isn't all singing all dancing
why not contact test-meter. sometimes they have discontinued lines at reduced prices.and you get 5% forum discount.

I've not used their Multimeter's but if they're anything like the other kit they do, they'll be good.
I've had a Metrel clamp meter, Insulation tester, Loop / RCD tester & Installation tester. Never had a minutes trouble with any of them.
Come to think of it, I've still got the clamp meter here somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Multimeter suggestions in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net