Discuss New Consumer Unit Installation - L&N Reverse at the sockets in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Pete999, here is a partial screenshot of a page of the doc.
Clipboard01.jpg

The only one i can see on the report just above the testing schedule info I sent, Measured Ze: 0.65. The other parameters you describe are not included on the report that i can see, other than on the testing schedule info I already uploaded. What I mean is there isn't any box into which any of these test values could be written, unless I'm just overlooking them. Are you sure that this particular form requires a test result rather than just confirmation that a test was or was not done? I can't see any boxes for these values, it's not that the electrician has left them empty.

Other values I can see:
Nominal frequency: 50Hz
External earth fault loop impedence Ze (2/3): 0.57
Prospective fault current (2/3): 0.5

the report also states that he used for testing equipment, a Kewtech KT64 (might be 84, hard to read)

When changing a consumer unit I would expect to test and record R1+R2 values for radial circuits, r1, rn, r2 and R1+R2 values for ring final circuits. Insulation resistance for each circuit. Zs for each circuit and RCD trip times for each RCD/RCBO on the board.

These prove continuity of the protective conductors on the circuit (R1+R2) and go a long way to proving the correct polarity of the circuits, end to end continuity of ring final circuits (r1, rn and r2), give an indication of the condition of the cables and demonstrate there is nothing on the fixed install that might trip the RCDs (IR), demonstrate that the circuit can meet the requirements to achieve the maximum disconnection times required by BS7671 (Zs) and that the RCDs will operate in a manner that should save your life (RCD trip times).

Without these tests you can't say the installation is safe and in my opinion, he should not really have signed it off.

Other values I can see:
Nominal frequency: 50Hz
External earth fault loop impedence Ze (2/3): 0.57
Prospective fault current (2/3): 0.5

the report also states that he used for testing equipment, a Kewtech KT64 (might be 84, hard to read)
file:///C:/Users/Pete/Downloads/BS_7671_2008_AMD3-2015_Model_Forms(3).pdf
Nothing akin to this see download

I would be very surprised if the RCD trip times were .2ms and .3ms as those results suggest. Especially as it appears the result show 5 circuits, but there appear to be 6 in the board spread equally across 2 RCDs.

Vol, do you have a snap shot of the 'Circuit Details' and the 'Test Instrument Used'?

PS good that the dangerous fault has now been rectified. Its a shame your electrician didn't do all the form filling in and testing in the first place.

Last edited:
Just been looking at a forum on the ------.org website. Some bright spark says that the average pass rate is 60%? Not sure about the significance of that except I guess that not all electricians are right all of the time and then they forget! This has been a case in point! My electrician needs a refresher course!
Thanks for all the help I did get. Many of the early answers were right on the button and were as I thought: not overly dangerous except in specific conditions and probably the meter tails had been swapped over. I actually emailed over the weekend to British General, the manufacturer of the CU, and this morning they answered saying much the same.
I've tried to show willing in response to the help I did get by showing as much info from today's resolution as I could. I'm done now. Obviously not perfect, but then again, who is?
As for those that jumped on this bandwagon started by Midwest "Are you thinking what I'm thinking and probably what everyone else is thinking, or am I being just too cynical suspicious", please adopt a more constructive, more friendly approach next time and please change your motto from Guilty Until Proven Innocent! :) Cheers!

There we go, you naughty boys & girls. Consider yourselves duly chastised, You must try harder to be Friendly & Helpful in future.
Forget the fact that over the course of a year, you freely give up your time to help probably hundreds of people and do so in a Friendly, Courteous & often Humorous manner.

Oh yes: Stop being so Cynical and Suspicious :p:D

Vol, I am glade after all this time this has been resolved for you however I must say that on the electrician discovering the reverse polarity after installation of the consumer unit being that the meter tails are so easily seen this would and could of been spotted immediately and would taken a couple of minutes to rectify its the fact that you was left for over a week like this. I hope we have all learnt something from this.

I simply don't believe that ANY BODY practising as a Spark can "miss" reversed polarity on the testing - I always test the old board then the new board and my Metrel won't conduct the Ze test with reverse polarity.

Dare I ask how much you paid and whether you received an invoice?

Reply to New Consumer Unit Installation - L&N Reverse at the sockets in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net