Discuss Niceic Assesment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sorry for the confusion guys . On the certificate there is reference method coloum but underneath it mentions the codes for types of wiring. That's why I was confused between "A" and "100". Please correct me. I do apologise if I am asking too many questions. Thanks

Sorry for the confusion guys . On the certificate there is reference method coloum but underneath it mentions the codes for types of wiring. That's why I was confused between "A" and "100". Please correct me. I do apologise if I am asking too many questions. Thanks
No apology necessary. We've all been there!

IF you go to electrafrom, you can do certificates at cost of £1 each, it has drop down menus and options for each box where required, might find it helpful rather than a editable document.
Bought a software from ebay with different colours (black,blue, green and purple)certificates and digital version of reg books.I also have hard copy of Regs book. Are these okay to use for time being until I get registerd with NICEIC ?Thanks

Bought a software from ebay with different colours (black,blue, green and purple)certificates and digital version of reg books.I also have hard copy of Regs book. Are these okay to use for time being until I get registerd with NICEIC ?Thanks
There are some unscrupulous folk on eBay who package up some freely available OpenOffice templates plus an installer for OpenOffice (open source and free) and charge for it. There are probably some legitimate options on sale too. Without more info it's hard to say but it will probably be fine. I think most assessors would take the long term view anyway that you will shortly have access to an online tool to create NICEIC branded certificates.

If it concerns you then I'd agree that Electraform is the no brainer choice, as for a minimal outlay of £5 for 5 credits you get a nice web interface (phone friendly too) to create certificates that are fairly decent.
There is also Megger Form Filler which is free but basic, adequate but the test results are quite small to read when printed.

I'd finish off the one you've started now though.

Electraform is worth using if you aren't doing many certs (and even if you are as well). Worth noting all costs are now +VAT though, hardly a deal breaker for its 5 credits for £5+VAT (£6)

I'd finish off the one you've started now though.
I managed to test and fill a certificate, which I going to upload. Guys please have a look and advise me if you find some mistakes. The consumer board has a SPD pre installed which I don't know how to test. I will use Elecraformin the end as this is temporary. Thanks in advance.

I've had a quick look through, you might want to take your name address and phone number off it, as well as the customers and post it again. A few comments:
Extent: I'd say "consumer unit" not fuse board, and maybe say "additional" smoke alarm circuit to clarify that's the addition.
Section 3.1 - very common mistake, RCD for fault protection should not be ticked on a TN system assuming all Zs values are within limits. ADS is providing fault protection, the RCBO's are providing additional protection.

Is the wiring all new colours? The IR results suggest older wiring, just wondered if it does need two colours sticker which you have as N/A in section 7.10

Add the serial number of your tester on page 5 in the finished version, so it can be proved it was within calibration if required.
The Zs at DB at top of page 5 should presumably be 0.2 not 20 ohms
The Zs of circuit 6 is significantly less than the R1+R2....which looks a little bit interesting. Any bonding or parallel paths you are aware of?
Circuit 7 the same to a lesser extent. (I'm wondering if there is some cpc link between 6 and 7 on the stairs lighting....random possible cause)

I don't like that the RCD column on that form doesn't specify whether x1 or x5 trip current.

Sorry for bit of a list! I haven't listed the many things you got right so don't be discouraged!

EDIT - what did you have in mind for section 6.1, class II equipment?

Last edited:
I've had a quick look through, you might want to take your name address and phone number off it, as well as the customers and post it again. A few comments:
Extent: I'd say "consumer unit" not fuse board, and maybe say "additional" smoke alarm circuit to clarify that's the addition.
Section 3.1 - very common mistake, RCD for fault protection should not be ticked on a TN system assuming all Zs values are within limits. ADS is providing fault protection, the RCBO's are providing additional protection.

Is the wiring all new colours? The IR results suggest older wiring, just wondered if it does need two colours sticker which you have as N/A in section 7.10

Add the serial number of your tester on page 5 in the finished version, so it can be proved it was within calibration if required.
The Zs at DB at top of page 5 should presumably be 0.2 not 20 ohms
The Zs of circuit 6 is significantly less than the R1+R2....which looks a little bit interesting. Any bonding or parallel paths you are aware of?
Circuit 7 the same to a lesser extent. (I'm wondering if there is some cpc link between 6 and 7 on the stairs lighting....random possible cause)

I don't like that the RCD column on that form doesn't specify whether x1 or x5 trip current.

Sorry for bit of a list! I haven't listed the many things you got right so don't be discouraged!

EDIT - what did you have in mind for section 6.1, class II equipment?
Thanks a lot! Wiring is of new coloursbut abot 10-15 years old. I will test these lighting circuit again with lamps removed. You are right about cpc link as there is 2 gang stair light switch (Two way),Is there a way to avoid this? Zs at DB also 0.21 as you correctly pointed out! about class ll equipment I was thinking hair dryer,electric beard trimmers etc, please advise me on that. I will keep in mind about your advice about section 3.1. What is your opinon on live to E insulation and SPD?
I will upload revised pdf file again tomorrow. Address and phone number will be removed. Thanks again for your valueable advice.

What is your opinon on live to E insulation
For 10-15 year old wiring the IR on the sockets (while a pass) is low in my view. If you have time it might be worth splitting the ring and and testing each leg - if one half is much higher then maybe hunt down the reason for the low reading by continuing to divide and test. This can be time consuming and might not be viable now.
I'm assuming it's one that connects to the bus-bar - I wouldn't worry about it. It can be tested using IR tests but I haven't seen this happen much in reality.
about class ll equipment I was thinking hair dryer,electric beard trimmers etc, please advise me on that.
This is more about a means of protection for the fixed wiring - not applicable to a dwelling according to regs. You aren't concerned with anything plugged into the fixed wiring for purposes of the report.
You are right about cpc link as there is 2 gang stair light switch (Two way),Is there a way to avoid this?
This is an interesting one that it would be good to get other people's opinions on too. Generally it's easiest from a testing and future work point of view if cpc on circuits are completely self contained. This isn't an absolutely requirement though, plenty of industrials use metal trunking as cpc for more than one thing.
Bottom line is that the back boxes need earthing if metal, and the cables need a cpc connected at least one end to protect them along their length.
My gut reaction would be to connect the back boxes to the respective cpc (upstairs to up lighting, downstairs to down lighting), and choc block the cpc at one end of 3 core, thus avoiding interconnecting the circuits.
(Alternatively circumvent anyone finding this curiosity and write down Zs as Ze+(R1+R2) by calculation for these circuits. Zs can be legitimately lower than R1+R2, for example a boiler connected to bonded pipes can cause this. )

For 10-15 year old wiring the IR on the sockets (while a pass) is low in my view. If you have time it might be worth splitting the ring and and testing each leg - if one half is much higher then maybe hunt down the reason for the low reading by continuing to divide and test. This can be time consuming and might not be viable now.
Thanks a lot! Some how if I Test insulation between live L to N , L to E or N to E it goes over 150 mega ohm but extremely low when tested between LIVE-LIVE joine togather to E. Don't know why.Thanks again

Interesting. Very random idea - did you put the L and N back in the RCBO during that test and does the RCBO have a functional earth wire that remained connected?

Interesting. Very random idea - did you put the L and N back in the RCBO during that test and does the RCBO have a functional earth wire that remained connected?
I used connecting block to join L +E together, cpc's were left connected in the earthing terminal in the cosumer unit. Thanks

Reply to Niceic Assesment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net