Discuss Niggling bad feeling. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Ed Turner

I've just taken on a block of flats as the regular sparky. They're new(ish) build at 2007 and I've been asked by the landlord to carry out an EICR on each flat (20 in total). Before I've even started I've seen that none of the boards (2 per flat, day and night storage heating) have RCD's. My initial thoughts were either stick RCBO's on socket circuits or swap main switch for RCD. Discussed options with landlord and he went for the single RCD option. Now's the kicker. The boards are all Memshield 2000AD and, according to my wholesaler, are obsolete.

Now I know you're supposed to fit the same make breakers etc as the board manufacturer, so does anyone know where I can get hold of about 20 80A 30mA RCD's to fit?

I've explained to the landlord that they don't look to be available and that, worst case, it could well be a new board goes in each flat. Understandably he's not too keen on this and has asked if a standalone RCD can be fitted, in it's own module outside the board. I've not replied to him yet as I've got a bad feeling about whether or not this is a legit option. Getting the tails out of the main switch into an RCD module will be a pain in the arse and messy. Pulling fresh tails isn't an option.

Any suggestions? (apart from walking away)

Cheers
Ed

Is there any chance of anyone in the flats using any equipment outside? Why don't you just note it on the eicr? An upfront single rcd won't comply anyway so really your solving one problem and creating another

Off the top of my head I can't remember. I'll guess at 2, but flats are different sizes (some 2 storey). I think there are elec showers as well. All flats have got an elec towel rail in bathroom.

Reply to Niggling bad feeling. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net