Discuss Outbuilding Smoke detector required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Any void greater than 800mm will require detection, BS standard, if you dont want to follow these rules, your choice. You are signing the cert..

If that's the case there's literally thousand and thousands of council properties without this. I've never been in a council house, or any property for that matter that has detectors in the attic.

Domestic premises dont require loft detection, not by bs standards, but by risk assement, as long as water heaters etc are not installed. This outbuilding cannot be classed as domestic....your call guys

Domestic premises dont require loft detection, not by bs standards, but by risk assement, as long as water heaters etc are not installed. This outbuilding cannot be classed as domestic....your call guys

Mmm, can see where you're coming from kind of but to me it just seems like it's something that isn't needed. Out of curiosity what would you class the building as? It's basically a little garage with 3 cupboards.......

Well Im trying to help and give you the best advice i can, but is seems to be going nowhere..... Domestic properties come under part 6, and is classed as a living dwelling, a garage linked to the property would be considered the same. Any building seperated can not be classed as a dwelling. its now a building. So will come under part 1.....Lofts in dwelling are not protected under assessments due to being low risk, if any heating or ventalation equipment were to be fitted into the loft, then detection would be requested. New council builds are fitting solar inverters and water heaters in lofts at present, so detection is now becoming more common in loft areas.............Your out building can only be classed as a independant building not a dwelling, garage or commercial premises...so part 1 will need to be in place here, again a risk assessment would need to be done to advise what is needed or at least fit a P1/L1 systems to cover....The main things you need to consider her is live animals, fuels, foods, construction of building wood/brick, the tractor itself...these are all risks of a protential fire. as suggested would fire fire control panel cheep 2 zone, with siren outside premises, and then consider what detection is going to suit this enviroment

Well Im trying to help and give you the best advice i can, but is seems to be going nowhere..... Domestic properties come under part 6, and is classed as a living dwelling, a garage linked to the property would be considered the same. Any building seperated can not be classed as a dwelling. its now a building. So will come under part 1.....Lofts in dwelling are not protected under assessments due to being low risk, if any heating or ventalation equipment were to be fitted into the loft, then detection would be requested. New council builds are fitting solar inverters and water heaters in lofts at present, so detection is now becoming more common in loft areas.............Your out building can only be classed as a independant building not a dwelling, garage or commercial premises...so part 1 will need to be in place here, again a risk assessment would need to be done to advise what is needed or at least fit a P1/L1 systems to cover....The main things you need to consider her is live animals, fuels, foods, construction of building wood/brick, the tractor itself...these are all risks of a protential fire. as suggested would fire fire control panel cheep 2 zone, with siren outside premises, and then consider what detection is going to suit this enviroment

Your input is appreciated, doesn't mean I can't give my opinion though. A fire panel etc just ain't going to happen, it was hard enough convincing him to put a detector in!! I've attached a quick plan overview, out of curiosity where would you say I need detectors?

30x9x03.png

Would suggest, you walking away and not get involved. Your head will be on the line if you sign this off. if the customer doesnt want to protect his premises...thats his choice, once you sign a certificate it becomes your problem. L1 would required detection in every room...Minimum would be tractor/workshop area.

Would suggest, you walking away and not get involved. Your head will be on the line if you sign this off. if the customer doesnt want to protect his premises...thats his choice, L1 would required detection in every room...Minimum would be tractor/workshop area.

Think what I'll do is take the drawings into the council offices and ask them what they will require, that way they can let us know what is the minimum required, this way if they say each room then he'll listen them, if it was up to me I'd cover myself and put it in each room but the guy won't want it. Can't walkaway from the job I'm afraid. Also when the ceiling is on, there will still be a gap of about 4 inches between top of each wall seperating the room and the ceiling.

Think what I'll do is take the drawings into the council offices and ask them what they will require, that way they can let us know what is the minimum required, this way if they say each room then he'll listen them, if it was up to me I'd cover myself and put it in each room but the guy won't want it. Can't walkaway from the job I'm afraid. Also when the ceiling is on, there will still be a gap of about 4 inches between top of each wall seperating the room and the ceiling.
Maybe the best idea, make sure all councils assessments are written, a keep copies yourself, cant stress enough the importance of this. There are a few landlords and electricians doing time for getting things wrong.

Maybe the best idea, make sure all councils assessments are written, a keep copies yourself, cant stress enough the importance of this. There are a few landlords and electricians doing time for getting things wrong.

Will do, thanks for your help.

If you are genuinely worried about it ask the local fire officer for advice, if you can.
It's the best kind of rear covering I can think of.

Reply to Outbuilding Smoke detector required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net