Discuss Power point in external glasshouse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Client wants 2g socket in greenhouse, obviously IP rated,will be supplied from Rcd, the greenhouse consists of metal frame work on the ground.
Does this require MPBC

Client wants 2g socket in greenhouse, obviously IP rated,will be supplied from Rcd, the greenhouse consists of metal frame work on the ground.
Does this require MPBC
I would say so because the metal frame does represent an extraneous conductive part. (411.3.1.2 item v)

At least now the bonding doesn't have to be 10mm^2

Last edited:
Deemed as a Special location this Power Point now becomes an expensive item.
To comply it will need a TT earthing system for the greenhouse to accommodate MPBC

Why, what size cable are you taking to the glass house???

If you take 6mm^2 then that would meet the minimum x section.

Use the CPC of 6mm^2 as bonding for the seperate building.
It‘s a 2.5mm from local ring main
The MPBC size relates to the existing earthing system isnt it

The key part is the second paragraph:

"Where an installation covers more than one building, a main protective bonding conductor shall be selected in accordance with the characteristic of the distribution circuit protective conductor for that particular building."

(Min 6mm^2; max needed 25mm^2 of course)

Agree to disagree here, you say use the cpc of the 6.0mm for the bonding, cpc & bonding are 2 different functions.

You can use the cpc for the supply to the remote building as both a cpc for that sub board and bonding provided it meets the minimum cross section for both aspects.

You could use 2.5mm^2 for the circuit, but as it wouldn't meet the minimum for bonding, would require an additional 6mm^2 for bonding; or use a 6mm^2 combined circuit and bonding conductor.

Edit

Third choice would be a 2.5 or 4mm^2 - 3 core swa, which combined with the swa armour would give a combined x section greater than 6mm^2

Haven't got tables to hand, but pretty sure both sizes will give more than 6mm^2 combined.

Edit 2:

Even a 2 core 1.5mm^2 swa has an armour of 15mm^2 so would actually be ok for both the CPC and bonding (though I prefer 3 core for a "proper" cpc)

Last edited:
The key part is the second paragraph:

"Where an installation covers more than one building, a main protective bonding conductor shall be selected in accordance with the characteristic of the distribution circuit protective conductor for that particular building."

(Min 6mm^2; max needed 25mm^2 of course)
You can use the cpc for the supply to the remote building as both a cpc for that sub board and bonding provided it meets the minimum cross section for both aspects.

You could use 2.5mm^2 for the circuit, but as it wouldn't meet the minimum for bonding, would require an additional 6mm^2 for bonding; or use a 6mm^2 combined circuit and bonding conductor.
In many cases we’ve been told that supplying a remote garage from a Tncs supply a 10mm bonding must be installed if there are extraneous conductive parts in that area.
In many cases the easiest option would be to convert to a TT System & install a 6.0 mm

Reply to Power point in external glasshouse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net