Discuss Prices for things in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a quick question, been to a house this morning which needs to have a fair bit done including rewiring both light circuits as has no CPC and wants a new consumer unit but wants to have his metal fittings everywhere, so he needs this sorting first.

Its a 4 bed house, and the loft is empty, but fully boarded and screwed down with interlocking boards.

1. How much would you say to charge to remove the board and replace? Thats kind of one job on its own, he wants a price so ill give him one, I was thinking, i know its easy ish to remove them, but its a pig getting them back down again in the right order etc... so was going to say something like £175 to remove and replace boards on top if he doesn't do it.

2. The light circuits, its all floorboards, so not chipboard, not really sure how much to tell him, i have never had to just replace a light circuit before so dont really know what would sound too much?

He needs both light circuits doing, so ignoring the removal of loft boards, would you say to £250 - £300 labour to rewire the light circuit or does that sound too much?

Is there conduits in place? What about rewiring the downstairs lights, you need upstairs floorboards up for that. Do you reckon you can rewire and 2nd fix all that for £300?

i have not got as far as testing anything as he only moved in yesterday and the place is full of boxes, but as he wants brass fittings for switches and all shiny new metal fittings on every light, its going to need every point doing.

Currently its all metal fittings with no earth..

The house is approx. 1965 at a guess, ancient fuse box, there's loads of things he wants doing such as extra sockets everywhere, down lighters everywhere etc...

Hi,

Just a quick question, been to a house this morning which needs to have a fair bit done including rewiring both light circuits as has no CPC and wants a new consumer unit but wants to have his metal fittings everywhere, so he needs this sorting first.

Its a 4 bed house, and the loft is empty, but fully boarded and screwed down with interlocking boards.

1. How much would you say to charge to remove the board and replace? Thats kind of one job on its own, he wants a price so ill give him one, I was thinking, i know its easy ish to remove them, but its a pig getting them back down again in the right order etc... so was going to say something like £175 to remove and replace boards on top if he doesn't do it.

2. The light circuits, its all floorboards, so not chipboard, not really sure how much to tell him, i have never had to just replace a light circuit before so dont really know what would sound too much?

He needs both light circuits doing, so ignoring the removal of loft boards, would you say to £250 - £300 labour to rewire the light circuit or does that sound too much?
what!!!! so a days wages then? what about materials and 2 days to rewire, then reconnect to all lights then testing lol, 800 is more like it

Is there conduits in place? What about rewiring the downstairs lights, you need upstairs floorboards up for that. Do you reckon you can rewire and 2nd fix all that for £300?

I dont know, i think its going to take a day and a half to do it properly factoring in time wasted on things etc, what would you say?

what!!!! so a days wages then? what about materials and 2 days to rewire, then reconnect to all lights then testing lol, 800 is more like it

This is why im asking your opinion, I dont normally just rewire light circuits... 800 sounds a lot, im only charging £350 for a board change inc board.

what i`m saying is work out the cost of your materials....

and offer him an option...one that is financially advantageous to yourself on the quiet..

I know roughly what I need in materials, accurately enough to work it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Good idea this. If they have class 2 switches then you need only do the fittings aswell.

He would like class 1 everywhere...

okay so lets say 2 days work, thats 400 plus vat, plus lets say 80 quids worth of cable, then misc another 50 ish, so if you don't have to rip up all the boards and put back then maybe 530 plus vat, that would be 600+, so okay 800 a bit OTT, but 250 is just a silly price.

Good idea this. If they have class 2 switches then you need only do the fittings aswell.

well...theres 2 things spring to mind here:

1) are the switch drops in a metal conduit?...if so then the containment can be utilised for R2...

2) before leaving switch outlets without a means of earthing i would be asking the person ordering the work what their future plans were regarding switches...

do you know what UKsparks:

get the lot meggered...

have a good look around (all finals)...

if its shaged then you may just offer to rewire it for him....lay it on with the advantages of him having it done now...before any decor goes up...

well...theres 2 things spring to mind here:

1) are the switch drops in a metal conduit?...if so then the containment can be utilised for R2...

2) before leaving switch outlets without a means of earthing i would be asking the person ordering the work what their future plans were regarding switches...

he has made it very clear to me that he wants class 1 brass fittings everywhere and metal light fittings. I am not sure if its in metal conduit as didn't look that far, to do a proper job, its just as easy to chase the wall out and stick a new bit of cable in.

okay so lets say 2 days work, thats 400 plus vat, plus lets say 80 quids worth of cable, then misc another 50 ish, so if you don't have to rip up all the boards and put back then maybe 530 plus vat, that would be 600+, so okay 800 a bit OTT, but 250 is just a silly price.

I guess you are right, I think i have nasty habit of doing things too cheap.

Agree with Glenn, from what you have said UK it sounds almost a complete job now lol, 3k plus vat for a 4 bed, no fancy lights in that though.

£800 for board change and rewire of lights seem fair? I'd charge more but that's my opinion

as for the boards in the loft tell them to get a joiner in. Would be cheaper and nothing can come back to you

Reply to Prices for things in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net