Discuss Quote and questions help pv installation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i live at the back of the house and when the roLEC guy came round he commented that they were Chinese cheap crap copies and something to do with the colour being black and not blue

Obviously didn't have much of a clue. You can't tell the quality of a panel from whether it's black or blue! (It may be a mono and he's more familiar with polys but probably he was looking for an excuse to demonstrate his technical "expertise").

Some Chinese panels are amongst the best - about 75-80% of panels installed in this country were made there!

i live at the back of the house and when the roLEC guy came round he commented that they were Chinese cheap crap copies and something to do with the colour being black and not blue
I've been a spark for 30 years but I've never had anything to do with solar (much as I'd like to ) and even I know that that's ball hooks

Black / Blue ... Wer'e just doing our contracted Spring Maintenance visits and panel washes, and even using Canadian Solar panels (chinese made, clever branding ...) we see poly panels varying from almost black to pale blue from single colour to highly flecked - all from the same container delivery and sometimes even from the same pallet.. Mono's tend to be less varied. What has suprised me is the wide colour range from one supplier and ome specification of panel. As these are commercial installs, the only important factor is output, and we can't detect any noticable difference in performance.

In the meaintime make sure you keep a copy of the email confirming your cancellation - normally you are supposed to sent notice of cancellation in writing by post - I would do it that way as well if I were you. (Some salesmen get desperate at the prospect of losing commission ..)

I agree with what you write most of the time Moggy, but i think your wrong about the Rent-A-Roof guys, in my eyes its great for those who are never going to have the capital to buy a system, take my parents for example, they don't have the capital to buy and never will have, so whats wrong with benefiting from a 4kwp on the roof? and an immersun? according to "shade greener" there contract is approved by mortgate lenders and if you have a problem they will buy your house of you! A Shade Greener is Mortgage Friendly
Thats why I said 'unless you really can't raise the money'

As you say If it's the only option then fine, at least it's something, but it's not the best option for a lot of people who were strong armed into signing contracts with excessively expensive buy outs and which have caused difficulty with property sell on. Regrettably these people were often the old and the vulnerable. can you believe some firms were even charging people to put panels on their roofs!!!

The rent a roof sector was one of the most abused in our much abused industry, and still is. Go in with your eyes wide open, and get a solicitor to look through the contract.

I know all about a shade greener, A guy I did some project management for tried to pursuade me to go to them with him.very nice promotional material, shame they tried to persuade my mate I was installing a lesser system by quoting figures for obsolete equipment rather than what I actually intended to use!!

Will they still buy your house in 10 years time when they are no longer in business and all their assets and roof stock have been moved on to a shadow company?

Black / Blue ... Wer'e just doing our contracted Spring Maintenance visits and panel washes, and even using Canadian Solar panels (chinese made, clever branding ...) we see poly panels varying from almost black to pale blue from single colour to highly flecked - all from the same container delivery and sometimes even from the same pallet.. Mono's tend to be less varied. What has suprised me is the wide colour range from one supplier and ome specification of panel. As these are commercial installs, the only important factor is output, and we can't detect any noticable difference in performance.

In the meaintime make sure you keep a copy of the email confirming your cancellation - normally you are supposed to sent notice of cancellation in writing by post - I would do it that way as well if I were you. (Some salesmen get desperate at the prospect of losing commission ..)

i get that they were talking rubbish about Chinese copies and colours now thanks, I'm learning a bit more about these now,
in their right to cancel section it states you can send the slip attached in or write a cancellation email and it gives the email addy to send to, so should be covered I think

As you say If it's the only option then fine, at least it's something, but it's not the best option for a lot of people who were strong armed into signing contracts with excessively expensive buy outs and which have caused difficulty with property sell on. Regrettably these people were often the old and the vulnerable.

The rent a roof sector was one of the most abused in our much abused industry, and still is. Go in with your eyes wide open, and get a solicitor to look through the contract.

I know all about a shade greener, A guy I did some project management for tried to pursuade me to go to them with him.very nice promotional material, shame they tried to persuade my mate I was installing a lesser system by quoting figures for obsolete equipment rather than what I actually intended to use!!

Will they still buy your house in 10 years time when they are no longer in business and all their assets and roof stock have been moved on to a shadow company?

fair point

what maintainance?

As you say If it's the only option then fine, at least it's something, but it's not the best option for a lot of people who were strong armed into signing contracts with excessively expensive buy outs and which have caused difficulty with property sell on. Regrettably these people were often the old and the vulnerable. can you believe some firms were even charging people to put panels on their roofs!!!

Fair point - ive got nothing to with ASG for the record - but even they are moving on, ever lasting boilers is the new one and free Biomass for commercial it looks like. yes i know some firms have taken the biscuit, and bacon sandwich in this sector, but from what i can see they look like one of the better ones.

An earlier post suggested Green Deal as an option and using it for PV solar, solar thermal and windows doors..the cost of which would come to well over £10,000.

Before doing this I would weigh up the effect having this loan tied to my property would have should I decide to sell.

This loan passed to the buyer....would it put them off. Certainly would me if i had to take responsibility for a huge loan I never took out in the first place. Irrespective of the method of repayment I would still have to take the responsibility of repaying. And what if the Golden Rule were not being net in reality.

Nationwide are offering Green deal type loans at under 3% so of check them or your existing mortgages first...

Reply to Quote and questions help pv installation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net