Discuss RCBO tripping out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stavros47

Hi, ive just fitted a crabtree loadstar RCBO to my split load consumer unit, to supply my smoke detector circuit. When detectors are connected to a MCB they work fine. When connected to the RCBO it trip one of the RCD's. Any advice please?

get your IR tester out. disconnect the smokes from circuit before frying them.

Verify the rcbo is wired correctly at the consumer unit
Does your installation not have a local lighting circuit?
Is the rcbo necessary for this installation and if so why

Verify the continuity of the circuit cpc by carrying out the R1+R2 continuity test with your low ohms meter

Insulation resistance test the circuit for the smokes,taking care that sensitive electronic equipment has been disconnected

Make sure you have verified polarity of the smokes before energising

If the circuit itself is sound,test the Rcbo with your Rcd tester to see if it is tripping within the parameters of a 30 m/amp rcbo,if that is the rating you have used

There that should sort it out

safety circuits on RCBOs.....what next...lol...
get them off that RCBO and put them on the lighting circuit....
fused spur under the board off the lighting MCB to feed em...
then theres a proper indication if the supply goes to the smokes/heats...

Can we start from the basics and can you clarify that you have a high integrity consumer unit and also confirm how everything is connected at the rcbo.

Ie where is your neutral fly lead from the rcbo connected to?
Where have you connected your Line and neutral cables to?

A photo of inside your consumer unit would make things a lot clearer.

Stafros you say you have just fitted a CU but if you have done all your cables tests as you connect them you should be able to pin the fault down.

Or is this one of these I have just chucked a CU in HELP!!!!!!!!! post ?

Hi, ive just fitted a crabtree loadstar RCBO to my split load consumer unit, to supply my smoke detector circuit. When detectors are connected to a MCB they work fine. When connected to the RCBO it trip one of the RCD's. Any advice please?

the neutral lead from the rcbo into the wrong neutral bar? anyhow as mentioned why stick a smoke detector/s on a RCD?

re-reading the OP. looks as if he's ballsed up the N connections as he says it's 1 of the RCDs tripping, not the RCBO. bet he's spotted the mistake and too ashamed to fess up.

re-reading the OP. looks as if he's ballsed up the N connections as he says it's 1 of the RCDs tripping, not the RCBO. bet he's spotted the mistake and too ashamed to fess up.

Or as always we will all end up talking a speculating amongst ourselves . I starting to think we should have a report/suspend button and if more than 5 clicks then the OP's account should be suspended until a explanation is forthcoming . Not trying to be hard here but this is the type of thing that wastes a lot of peoples time plus it educates the OP that they don't have to be responsable .

Happy to be corrected on this one

Thanks all for the advise, and thanks to the others hurling abuse. Ive just come back in from work and logged on to see some helpful info, I will have a look again 2morrow to see if I can identify the fault. and the rest of posts thanks for the negative S*** comments, no wonder some people don't want to ask question when you jump on them after not replying 2 hours after posting very friendly!!

Thanks all for the advise, and thanks to the others hurling abuse. Ive just come back in from work and logged on to see some helpful info, I will have a look again 2morrow to see if I can identify the fault. and the rest of posts thanks for the negative S*** comments, no wonder some people don't want to ask question when you jump on them after not replying 2 hours after posting very friendly!!
oh grow up will ya!!
IR test the circuit....disconnect sensitive loads first...
dont put smokes/heats on RCBOs....its a crap way of doing it for the reason i gave at #4

If it's not a so-called dual high integrity CU, then it's never going to work, it'll always trip out the RCD via it's neutral bar that the RCBO neutral tail is connected too!! lol!! As others state, a total waste of time anyway!!

If it's not a so-called dual high integrity CU, then it's never going to work, it'll always trip out the RCD via it's neutral bar that the RCBO neutral tail is connected too!! lol!! As others state, a total waste of time anyway!!
yeah and they will just persist with putting safety circuits on their own RCBO...and its a load of nonsense....

With only 2 posts to date you are obviously not aware of the quantity of numpty DIY bodgers and builders that come on here for advice, and hence why your "OP" was responded to in the way it was.

Develop thicker skin and stay around and you'll see what I mean. There are loads of very knowledgable sparks on here and they don't mind sharing knowledge and experience to people who demonstrate they know what they are doing!

Glen is right you do need to grow up big time I have said this before on this forum if people like you are going to throw your toys out of the pram because basically you cannot face real life the too bad. If its touchy feely you want then you are at the wrong place and if you continue to perceive that guys are having a go at you instead of trying to get you to put your brain in gear and start to think for yourself then you are a spoilt selfish little brat that cannot deal with real life plus when you throw a CU in and everything goes ok its not because you did a good job nope its because the spark who wired the house 30 years ago did a good job.

So next time you come on act your age learn humility and you might just learn something if not well here is one that one dingy your bleating posts

Reply to RCBO tripping out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net