Discuss regs heights! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

eganelectrical

Just looking for experiences on the 450mm-12mm regs heights on rewire!!
I know we can keep to existing socket heights on rewire but if the house is totally gutted And a new massive extension going on then can building control throw their dummy out for not sticking to regs heights?
Even on extensions we can normally match the existing house measurements but all gutted!! Ripped out!!

I've never met a problem when I'm working to what the customer wants as they are paying the bill / me. Not the council. If its council owned property however..... But I could see an issue with 12mm (but then I know you meant 1200mm!)

Ring them mate, it'll be your best bet. make sure you get the name of the person you spoke to because if you're told the 450/1200 thing doesn't apply and an inspector pulls it you can then say well inspector such and such said it was ok.

I knowthat some Building Inspectors are prone to insisting upon things that aren't strictly required on the "Because I say so" basis, so watch your backside.

Often it you tell them (because your say so is not good enough) put that in writing so I can appeal will work, but you better make sure the rest of your job fully complies as it does pi@@ them off.
Ben

You don't have to do it to the regs it's only a recommendation you do it to what it says on the drawing or whoever designed the install as long as it's safe and functions well is the your main concern.

You don't have to do it to the regs it's only a recommendation you do it to what it says on the drawing or whoever designed the install as long as it's safe and functions well is the your main concern.

Don't believe that's the case. Part M, requirement M1 (the relevant section for the 450/1200mm heights) has the force of law. Or at least what will happen to you if you breach it does.

sure it does how many people have gone to jail for not having sockets and light switches at the correct height and how many recent jobs have you been on when there not at these heights ?

Ahhh, right. If nobody gets prosecuted and found guilty, that means there's no law against it. Got it now. Doubt the tariff for breaching Building Control includes getting banged up, but stranger things have happened. That horse becoming Pope, for one.

Was on a job where sockets where 350mm from floor last month what do you think I should do ring the police the building inspector did'nt even give it a second glance I'm still having trouble sleeping ?

Just looking for experiences on the 450mm-12mm regs heights on rewire!!
I know we can keep to existing socket heights on rewire but if the house is totally gutted And a new massive extension going on then can building control throw their dummy out for not sticking to regs heights?
Even on extensions we can normally match the existing house measurements but all gutted!! Ripped out!!

Refurbs are normal heights
newbuilds are building regs heights

Socket and switch heights ONLY apply to new builds.

For dwellings that's true, other than if there's a material change of use of part or all the building. So (as I read it) if you turned your garage into a shop, you would definitely have to meet the 450/1200mm in your refit.

Bit more complicated for non-domestic.

Part M Section 0.1 refers.

Yes but it only applys to new builds rewires don't count ? which if you go back to first post his is a rewire.

Yes, that's correct, I was just talking generally. But even so, beware the JabberBuildingInspector my son, the pen that ticks, the nits that pick....

I think I see what's happened. You said "You don't have to do it to the regs it's only a recommendation you do it to what it says on the drawing or whoever designed the install as long as it's safe and functions well is the your main concern" and you meant just within the scope of his rewire job. Whereas I (mis?)took your meaning to be much more general.

Reply to regs heights! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net