Discuss regs heights! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There's little point in having to conform to Part M for socket heights unless the rest of the refurb also has to comply.
And that means ramps, wheelchair width access in doors, downstairs WC, etc etc.

There's little point in having to conform to Part M for socket heights unless the rest of the refurb also has to comply.
And that means ramps, wheelchair width access in doors, downstairs WC, etc etc.

That may be true. But for Joe Sparky that is all an S.E.P.*

(*Somebody Else's Problem)

Eek! I spent the best part of November breaking the law! Least the client was happy!
What sordid things you get up to in your own time is no concern of ours, please stick to discussing electrics! ;)

PS: If I put sockets 12mm from the floor I put them upside down so the plug flex sticks up and doesn't jam on the floor. On a serious note, is there any reg against this? I know its unconventional, but doesn't derate the IP rating, so why not?

The regs only apply if its a new build or change of use. An extension is not classed as a new build. So as long as it was a house before and will still be a house, you go with whatever the client wants.:smiley2:

PS: If I put sockets 12mm from the floor I put them upside down so the plug flex sticks up and doesn't jam on the floor. On a serious note, is there any reg against this? I know its unconventional, but doesn't derate the IP rating, so why not?
Had this today on a domestic install. Couldn't get to the fixing screws for the conductors. Bloody annoying!

theres even a clash between building regs and wiring regs, one says above 400mm and one says above 450mm??!! so better split the difference to be safe..lol

There's an interesting thing here that no one seems to have mentioned;

I was just about to respond with a 'you can't retrospectively apply new regs to old buildings' kind of comment when its just occurred to me that when you have a TOTAL devastion/dereliction rebuild then the new regs are adhered to, or if you're building an extension on an old house you can't just skip putting a dpm down because the existing building doesn't have one.

The bottom line here is BCO and most of them don't seem to care/know anyway.

Ones that don't know aren't the problem. It's the ones that know for a fact what they don't actually really know at all you have to worry about.

Reply to regs heights! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net