Discuss Seperate Circuit For Fridge/freezer !! in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i don't rcd freezers on new work

i'll be keeping the fire risk from fridges and freezers at the back of my mind anymore when installing smoke alarms
Danfoss warns UK public of fridge and freezer fire risk
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jul/05/beko-fridge-freezer-fire-warning

don't know if the 30mA would protect on any of these faults-apparently they go up like a bonfire

Thanks for the link. Believe it or not I have a Hotpoint fridge that we bought in 1990 that is still in the kitchen today and still works a treat. I pulled it out and low and behold a yellow danfoss sticker on the compressor. I have sent them an email and hopfully it will get sorted (a nice new fridge would be nice but i wont hold my breath) dont worry i have smoke alarms and an RCD protected circuit.

The use of the FSU would do away with the requirement for the RCBO / RCD protection - makes sense.I was on a RECI course recently and a few of the sparks were giving out about having to use a RCBO for the freezer, the RECI guy was kindda insisting it was a reqirement under the ETCI regs.

no they're mistaken phil

ET 101:2008 page 308 (irish rules)

in order to improve the reliability of the supply to freezers and similar appliances,either of the following 2 methods of supply may be applied

1-a fixed outlet from a circuit not protected by an rcd

2-a dedicated socket-outlet circuit protected by it's own separate rcd

Last edited by a moderator:
cut the plug off the freezer and wire it into a connection unit. Therefore no one can moan about the socket being used for other purposes. Put the freezer in the dedicated freezer house outside the main house. Get the owner to sign sommat to accept that he is now an "instructed person" and accepts full responsibility for management of the freezer room and it's use :)

Yeah but then you void the warranty of the appliance

i looked at a website a good while back -where they stated removing plugs voids warranty

suppose they'd have to back it up in court

i'll see if i can dig up the link again

" A Comet approved engineer"

He'll be nowt more than someone who may have done the 2377.

I hold with contempt the way 'engineer' is bounded around so loosely by all and sundry these days!!!

I think if you fought the issue in a court,you will win,we can cut them off,however, here are some views I found that gives a negative opinion

Comet
Removing a moulded plug from an appliance will void any guarantee, warranty or Service Plan held on the product.

Appliance engineer opinion

This will could invalidate the warranty, legally the plug, being moulded onto the appliance lead, is part of the appliance, and it could be argued successfully that you are modifying the applicance and thus in breach of the warranty as you are

1: Not qualified to do so.
( I cant see this applying to sparks)
2: Not authorised to do so.
3: Changing the appliances electrical designation in law.

Good question which should be known ,but isn't clear cut
Ah I see the comet one was already posted
I am staying with my opinion that its a load of bunk

Last edited:
scaremongering!

I'll carry on cutting them off!

BTW has anyone ever seen or heard of this phenomenon being substantiated? As in a warranty being voided because the electrician cut the plug off.

ya i reckon they can't back it up in court

but could be messy if one of their engineers:19: calls and initially claims the electrician has invalidated the warranty

I'm with Dave here, I'm sure I would not want to put this to a test on perhaps a 1k television or something as I'm sure the nice people of comet when told, well the electriciansforum said it is ok, they will hold their hands up and say fair enough.

I can see the exact opposite to be honest.

Let's take that 1k LCD TV as an example. You have cast in wall conduits to run all leads from behind your wall mounted TV, so as not to have an unsightly mess of cables hanging down the wall.

Is it not reasonable to cut that moulded plug from the lead in order to pass that lead thru the provided conduit and replace with a standard plug top?? Of course it's reasonable, i doubt if any warranties have been voided in the real world by cutting a moulded plug off a lead. There legal dept would wouldn't be happy fighting such a case either!!!

Wasn't there a member here who's wife deals with this type of law, and has often quoted her about this would not void any such domestic appliance warranty?? Just can't remember who it was now!!!

YES....you're right, there was.

I'll have a search.

paul.m :D

You don't invalidate the warranty if you cut the moulded plug off. The only way you can invalidate the warranty is if whatever you did to the appliance that caused the fault. Cut the plug and fit an unswitched fcu as above. Ps my wife deals with warranty claims for a world wide company so my info is correct.

Reply to Seperate Circuit For Fridge/freezer !! in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net