Discuss **Show Us Your Installs!!!** in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

CBC71916-B66A-4992-B1FE-06FC1A1A3C3C.jpg4AC38371-4D12-49FD-A9CA-F811C9ED9D98.jpg8848C476-2D76-4540-B4C5-9F778043ED18.jpg

A couple of dbs & their glanding ive done recently on commercial job.

Attachments

• 1588E308-B177-4585-881C-C66B353A0DB5.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 373
Hi Mark ... neat job and only minor notes from me..

-You have singles entering the board and seem to have ID'd the L & N but your earthing is not it would seem, any following Electrician is going to need to follow the earthing to the jungle of SWA glands to confirm.
-As noted above cut all the ties in the trunking to allow dissipation of heat.
-Also hard to tell but swa grouping should be no more than 3 per group to allow good heat dissipation ...you may have already done this but its hard to tell as I said.
-Lastly I don't see any main earthing link to the bottom power switch section, these boards are only slotted and tapped together with a few screws, you should not rely on this to make an effective earth route.

Other than my minor comments, I commend you on a neat job.

-You have singles entering the board and seem to have ID'd the L & N but your earthing is not it would seem, any following Electrician is going to need to follow the earthing to the jungle of SWA glands to confirm.

But all of those earths are all terminated together at each end, how could any one of them possibly be attributed to any one circuit?

You’d be looking for a new job if I saw you running separate earth bonds for each cable. It’s a waste of materials and confusing.

All our panels with small SWA’s like that would have two banjo’s per gland and a single 16mm[SUP]2[/SUP] bond to the EMT. The banjo’s on the outside so there was brass to brass contact.

Earth%20tags_zpsx877cywc.jpg

But all of those earths are all terminated together at each end, how could any one of them possibly be attributed to any one circuit?

I see your point and was half expecting this comment but as the OP hasn't done a global earth tap to the trunking or first banjo and chose to run individual tails they should be marked up in the board regardless of the common bond at glanding. This is my opinion and could be argued about interpretation of the regs... but pointless marking L and N but not Earth when they all enter in singles.

Had the SWA’s been terminated to a non-conductive enclosure I’d agree with you. In this case the various glands are connected by the containment making individual leads back to the EMT pointless.

Had the SWA’s been terminated to a non-conductive enclosure I’d agree with you. In this case the various glands are connected by the containment making individual leads back to the EMT pointless.

Just to clear a few things up mains to db's hadn't been terminated @ time of photo which is the reason no main earth carried to earth bar. Any two circuits adjacent to each other which enter same board when glanded have banjos pushed together and 1 brass bolt for flying lead to reduce amount of flying leads & space required making iding earths difficult, although I can't honestly see where any electrician could ever be confused coming across this setup, I've personally seen this setup numerous times. I am of the opinion that when metal db"s trunking etc used its fine to put just a global earth wire & serrated washers or banjo. Have come across many historic installs where old swa cables just been glanded to top of db with serrated washers (no flying lead) and when carrying out testing have never had a problem, addition of flying leads (for every gland) is just purely cosmetic in my opinion but would never omit myself, as I have had to fit banjos and flying leads retrospectively to a db which tested fine but was deemed not up to standard by an inspector. Never seen two banjos on the one gland before can't see much benefit in it although don't have a problem with it. This also comes in paperback.

You’d be looking for a new job if I saw you running separate earth bonds for each cable. It’s a waste of materials and confusing.

All our panels with small SWA’s like that would have two banjo’s per gland and a single 16mm[SUP]2[/SUP] bond to the EMT. The banjo’s on the outside so there was brass to brass contact.

Earth%20tags_zpsx877cywc.jpg

That looks like it will be much neater, can i ask what determines the size of the bond? you state 16mm2 but is that by calculation or just experience?

essex-electrician-14.jpg
This is one of my more recent jobs. She could not stretch to a panel heater so I said I would loosen off the neutral so she could have a consumer unit / heater combo.
OBVIOUSLY, THAT COULD NEVER HAPPEN IN A STEEL CU, COULD IT? :ack2:

Not directly an install but made me laugh when I saw this in a mess room.

94bcb7708600bfd03414cdddba542c4c.jpg
that's the combustible CU problem solved. fit a tap above the CU with a temperature controlled valve. soon as the temperature reaches 85 deg. C, tap turns on, extinguishes fire. nationwide that'll be 5000 firefighters made redundant, or demoted to getting ----- cats out of trees.

That looks like it will be much neater, can i ask what determines the size of the bond? you state 16mm2 but is that by calculation or just experience?

At one time M&Q specified 7/064 /16mm[SUP]2[/SUP] as minimum and I’ve always stuck with that. Our stores would usually have a couple of 100m of it and I’d rather have my fingernails pulled out than try to get them to order anything different. Looks a bit silly when you have a 1.5 2c SWA with a 16mm run to it, but it’s what they wanted

Reply to **Show Us Your Installs!!!** in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net