Discuss sky remote control / hidden box in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kiers1970

Hi Guys

Customer wants to hid his SKY HD box, will a magic eye do the trick, or is there a better option to relay the IR commands?
He has 3 sky boxes at the mo. Wondered if the magic eye option might interfere with the system?

Thanks in advance

As long as no other sky boxes can see the remote signals there should be no problem connecting a magic eye to the rf2 output so that that is all that is showing.
Assuming you remember to enable power on the rf2 output of course!

oh, forgot to say, this will be the HD box, and will be connected directly to the dish... sorry Mharries!
is there some IR reciever/transmitter that isn't wire less? maybe just a wired 'eye'that then goes to the ir receiver on said skybox?

Have you confused me or me you!!!
The sky hd box still has a uhf input and two uhf outputs (they may well be referred to or marked as rf in/outputs). These are separate from the feed from the dish. If, for example, you wanted to hide the hd box in a cupboard all you need to do is have the magic eye visible and connect it to the output labelled rf2/uhf2 and away you (nearly) go. If the magic eye lead is not long enough plug a bit of coax into output 2 to achieve the desired length. Next thing to do is in the sky box's menu where you have to enable power on output 2 in order to power the magic eye.
Magic eyes are not connected to the box's ir receiver as such but will ultimately internally be connected to the same control circuitry.
Remote extenders are the other option whereby the transmitting end sits in front of the box ir receiver and just duplicates the ir signals received at the receiving end from the remote.

Reply to sky remote control / hidden box in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net