Discuss SWA and adaptable box in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RyanCheetham

Evening gents, hope everyone is having a good evening. Forgive me if this a stupid question but i would rather be safe than sorry.

At my fathers house he has asked me to provide power to his 2 seperate garages. Both will be ran in 6mm swa on 32a breakers. What i want to check is if it is ok to terminate both SWAs into one 4x4 adaptable box or should i be concerned about eddy currents? I think it would be ok but asking for help as i am starting the job tomorrow

Evening gents, hope everyone is having a good evening. Forgive me if this a stupid question but i would rather be safe than sorry.

At my fathers house he has asked me to provide power to his 2 seperate garages. Both will be ran in 6mm swa on 32a breakers. What i want to check is if it is ok to terminate both SWAs into one 4x4 adaptable box or should i be concerned about eddy currents? I think it would be ok but asking for help as i am starting the job tomorrow

Eddy when down the pub as it's Friday, not a problem if your quick :D

Put them in one box it won't be a problem.

use a plastic box. then no problem. currents don't flow in insulating materials. but you'll need to fit banjos or earth nuts.

The only thing to be aware of, if you have connections within the box is can you ensure any later meddling will understand there are 2 circuits or are you simply using the Wiska to gland off the SWA?

I have bought a 100m drum of 3core swa ready and always fit banjos as standard. I prefer to use galv boxes as it just looks 'right' to me. Thanks for easing my mind guys, its always nice to see a helpful answer every now and then lol

The only thing to be aware of, if you have connections within the box is can you ensure any later meddling will understand there are 2 circuits or are you simply using the Wiska to gland off the SWA?

No the adaptable box will be used as a pass through into the CU. I will label the box to make aware of 2 supplies

When glanding into a plastic box or isolator with an armour I always like to use a galv coupling.
Gland into the coupling and lock the banjo metal to metal. Using the brass bush just to hold it to the box/isolator.

Circulating/Eddy currents, are only a concern when using single core cables. So using 2 x 3 core cables will not have any affect on your installation. Just be sure that the tails of your two cables exit the galv' adaptable either through a single hole, into the CU/DB or two holes, each containing all 3 cores of the two separate cables...

Really neat job Ryan! Good to see!

Thankyou, i would photo the board but i havent tidied it yet. Is all RCBOs so theres cables everywhere inside lol. Im rewiring his house in stages. Today was powering his two garages, a joyous day of about 95m of swa, ran under the floor. Was fun trying to cleat to the underside of the joists

Thankyou, i would photo the board but i havent tidied it yet. Is all RCBOs so theres cables everywhere inside lol. Im rewiring his house in stages. Today was powering his two garages, a joyous day of about 95m of swa, ran under the floor. Was fun trying to cleat to the underside of the joists
Why did you cleat it to the underside of the joists?

Why did you cleat it to the underside of the joists?

Because my dad is a perfectionist and would crucify me if i let the cable rest on the slab, he hoovers the cavity everytime i lift the floor, he also levels all the bearers and fits new boards after i am done (he is a builder)

Reply to SWA and adaptable box in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net