Discuss SWA and adaptable box in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I wasn't sure if it would interest anyone but i took some 'in progress' shots of the work this thread relates to that we did this weekend. The trench is a 70m run and 1m deep. In the trench we have our 2 supplies to the garages and 2 conduits containing coax and cat5e (coax for cctv and cat5e because wifi struggles in the garden). The trench was dug out by hand by my dad and me on saturday then cabled and filled in today by us. Also started one of the garage installs today. Hope everyone else enjoyed there weekend, i am sunburnt to hell!

Attachments

• 20130629_125703.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 20130629_195930.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 20130630_153348.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 93
I wasn't sure if it would interest anyone but i took some 'in progress' shots of the work this thread relates to that we did this weekend. The trench is a 70m run and 1m deep. In the trench we have our 2 supplies to the garages and 2 conduits containing coax and cat5e (coax for cctv and cat5e because wifi struggles in the garden). The trench was dug out by hand by my dad and me on saturday then cabled and filled in today by us. Also started one of the garage installs today. Hope everyone else enjoyed there weekend, i am sunburnt to hell!

Nice job with the adaptable box and the SWA glanding.

The trench does look a little shallow, we normally spec 600mm as minimum depth but the UK might be different. It would be a nice idea to put a layer of sand under the cables in the trench, maybe a bit overkill for a light traffic area but the ground looks a little rough.

In the trench we have our 2 supplies to the garages and 2 conduits containing coax and cat5e...

Too late for this job, but for anyone else doing this, I'd have put the co-ax and cat5 in some polythene cable duct rather than lengths of PVC conduit joined together. It would be more robust, easier to lay and give a smoother run for pulling the cables in. If you can't find the proper black cable duct, blue underground water pipe would do, providing you have the 'electrical cable' warning tape above.

Good job overall I think, I like the new method of cpc identification, I always thought the sleeving went over the cable not tied round it, but is does save all that tedious disconnection:tongue3:!
Digging trenches is no fun so well done on a 70m run.

Reply to SWA and adaptable box in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net