Discuss Switchboard very close to cold fill outlet and sink - pics provided is this Legal? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mitchelcostello

Hi,

I recently moved into a flat and i can't fit my washing machine into the gap....

ImageShack(TM) slideshow

after asking my friend who is a plumber on what i need to plumb it in a new locaton. My other friend caught wind of it and says it looks electrically unsound and i should get it inspected. He is an industrial electrician and so ins't up to scratch on the liabilities the landlord has etc.

Basically what i want to know is : Is this setup ok? what is the minimum the landlord should be required to do to legalise it?

The main unit is a switchboard, the next unit is for the storage heaters timings, the unit above the sink is the water heater that does the shower, bathroom tap and kitchen sink. there is an additional switch that i can turn off the water heater.

taking note of the proximity of the light switch to the sink also....

Now i know common sense says this isn't right but i need specifics like : law states a main switchboard has to be 2 meters from any kind of water outlet under section blah blah in legislation X.

Thanks in advance!

Mitchel

Re: Switchboard very close to cold fill outlet and sink - pics provided is this Legal

I suggest you ask your landlord for a copy of the electrical & pat test cwetificates

Re: Switchboard very close to cold fill outlet and sink - pics provided is this Legal

All i will say is this I am a fully qualified electricain, and I hold plumbing qualifications. I know that soner or later, as a rsult of the amount of call outs that I get, that that CU is gonna get a dose of the wet stuff. Before you get any answers on here, get it boxed in ( use no more nails unless you know where the wires runs ) Water will get into MCBS easily, however you see how long it takes to dry them them out as they are basically sealed units !!

thats mint!! lol.. cant see what would be wrong with moving it up 2meters...!! or why it was never put there in first place!!

Totally agree !! As I say due to the amount of call outs I get, I am suggesting emergency protection for the CU !! As you say, the only real protection is to move it !! What a place to put a Cu !!

And another amazing thing I find, is the amount of CU on a wall, directly below the toilet on an upstairs landing, probably because of the attractivness of following with ones wires, the 110 mil cold soil pipe through the building. Drip drip, equalls trip trip ............... usually cured with a removal, or about two tubes of silicone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Switchboard very close to cold fill outlet and sink - pics provided is this Legal? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net