Search the forum,

Discuss Thank you scheme providers. You are destroying a once respected trade. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I’m getting fed up with my own voice on this subject.

The only way for this trade to redeem it’s self is by a national register. It would take government intervention to do it.
A reasonable minimum level of qualifications before you are licensed to practice you’re trade.

It would kill the scams off over night. No more selling accreditation, if you’re not on the register you can not trade alone.

It will never happen, there would be a flood of Electrical Trainee’s queuing up at the job centre the next day.
Part “P” was an ill thought out knee jerk. It hasn’t raised standard, it’s another “cash cow” to be milked.

A national register works very well in other countries, why not here? Profiteering could have something to do with it. The scams and training organisation would be greasing politicians pockets to stop it.

The C&G needs a bomb under it along with the IET. Nothing but money grubbing leaches. Maintaining standards? All they are doing is maintaining their living standards.
The standard of examinations has been lowered to suit the pass rate.

Training is a farce as proved by the thread on the AM2 course. A three year old can play “join the dots!”

I’m retired from heavy engineering as are a lot of my counterparts, what is being done to replace us. Train more useless DI’s.
This country needs manufacturing not house building!

I was once proud of this industry, it makes me ashamed now.

If you’re upset with what I say you must be amongst the ones not qualified for a national register.

I’m getting fed up with my own voice on this subject.

The only way for this trade to redeem it’s self is by a national register. It would take government intervention to do it.
A reasonable minimum level of qualifications before you are licensed to practice you’re trade.

It would kill the scams off over night. No more selling accreditation, if you’re not on the register you can not trade alone.

It will never happen, there would be a flood of Electrical Trainee’s queuing up at the job centre the next day.
Part “P” was an ill thought out knee jerk. It hasn’t raised standard, it’s another “cash cow” to be milked.

A national register works very well in other countries, why not here? Profiteering could have something to do with it. The scams and training organisation would be greasing politicians pockets to stop it.

The C&G needs a bomb under it along with the IET. Nothing but money grubbing leaches. Maintaining standards? All they are doing is maintaining their living standards.
The standard of examinations has been lowered to suit the pass rate.

Training is a farce as proved by the thread on the AM2 course. A three year old can play “join the dots!”

I’m retired from heavy engineering as are a lot of my counterparts, what is being done to replace us. Train more useless DI’s.
This country needs manufacturing not house building!

I was once proud of this industry, it makes me ashamed now.

If you’re upset with what I say you must be amongst the ones not qualified for a national register.

Very true. But most of the leaches aren't even fit for domestic work.

Makes me ashamed, too.

and a prime example of this was the old 2391.....
time n time again when you look at the chief examiners reports for this exam its all about wrong terminology, no understanding about choice & setting of OPDs, no concept of earth paths.....ect ect...
clearly many candidates that were being accepted to take this exam were simply not at the level (at that time in their development) to stand any real chance of success.
thats when you get cross and start to realise its all about getting arses on seats....not about the quality of the candidates they turn out or the chances of success of said candidates...
dispicable...it really is....

It's dEspicable Glenn ....... with an "e" ........it's important to use the correct terminology!! ;)

and a prime example of this was the old 2391.....
time n time again when you look at the chief examiners reports for this exam its all about wrong terminology, no understanding about choice & setting of OPDs, no concept of earth paths.....ect ect...
clearly many candidates that were being accepted to take this exam were simply not at the level (at that time in their development) to stand any real chance of success.
thats when you get cross and start to realise its all about getting arses on seats....not about the quality of the candidates they turn out or the chances of success of said candidates...
dispicable...it really is....

Terminology is a very moot point.

Unfortunately gone are the days of the examination adjudicators knowing the subject.

They would check you’re calculation method, give you an extra point if you got it right.

Engineering principals was a swine of an exam, add advanced mathematics, test methods and reliability, technical drawing. All in the space of a fortnight!

I felt like I’d been run over by a steam roller!

its just the scenareo thats all...
the scams inform HMRC about any notifyable jobs....probably half the reason they were set up in the first place.....
but as you says Murdoch...its them thats doing cash in hand stuff, thats not certing their work and that claim their registered with a scheme.....when I know they damned well arn`t....they are the ones who are pisin me of...
you know who you are....[/QUOTE]

Time to call HMRC???

So the year is 1972. You are working for a large engineering company who have there own electrical department.
They take you on as an apprentice and you work along side time served qualified electricians, who are many years your senior.
You attend day release at college and cover a C&G 236 three year course in electrical intallations. At the end of that time you have covered a wealth of practical experience, mainly by men you respect, and know the trade profficiently.
You decide to attend the C certificate course two evenings a week for a further two years and recieve technicians status.
Later in life other courses come up 16th edition, 17th edition, and then theres the 2391.
As a JIB member you apply for and recieve the JIB gold card at approved status.
And then theres your schem providor saying your the qualifying officer.
Your responsibilities through the years have also resulted in a JIB platinum sight managers card.
40 years later, and you your asking yourself what was it all about ??
Because after all that your not a Part P electrician.
Just sharing where and what I am. And wondering even now what makes these guys qualified ???????????

its just the scenareo thats all...
the scams inform HMRC about any notifyable jobs....probably half the reason they were set up in the first place.....
but as you says Murdoch...its them thats doing cash in hand stuff, thats not certing their work and that claim their registered with a scheme.....when I know they damned well arn`t....they are the ones who are pisin me of...
you know who you are....[/QUOTE]

Time to call HMRC???
i`m that close Murdoch...i really am....
and like i says...i doubt he`s got any public liability either....
carrying out works in/on other folk`s property without the necessary insurance to cover it if it all goes arse up....grrrrr..

So the year is 1972. You are working for a large engineering company who have there own electrical department.
They take you on as an apprentice and you work along side time served qualified electricians, who are many years your senior.
You attend day release at college and cover a C&G 236 three year course in electrical intallations. At the end of that time you have covered a wealth of practical experience, mainly by men you respect, and know the trade profficiently.
You decide to attend the C certificate course two evenings a week for a further two years and recieve technicians status.
Later in life other courses come up 16th edition, 17th edition, and then theres the 2391.
Your responsibilities through the years have also resulted in a JIB platinum sight managers card.
Just sharing where and what I am. And wondering even now what makes these guys qualified ???????????
a `part P` card makes em qualified.....well in the eyes of johnny public anyway...
but making someone feel qualified.....and them actually being qualified..are 2 different things bald....
its disturbing when the self esteem bandits are let loose isn`t it....

Pretty much sums it up......replace '72 with '79, apprenticeship with NIC contractor....'C' course in my own time.....15th-16th-17th....2391.....and technically I cant legally replace my own CU without coughing a wedge to a scam.

Think its found in any trade really..you'll get the competant and professional and you'll get the workday w**nkers who think they're worth the money it says on thier van..I'm relatively new to the trade myself and admit I'm still wet behind the ears or as my old boss says I've still got a hole in my A**e we all started somewhere, although I do disagree with the fastrack courses that are in place 13 weeks and you're a qualified sparks ? Wrong!! I took the correct route and 5 years later I'm still learning... Complacency and over-confidence in your ability is the rub...I may have my bit of paper but I know my limits :)

Think its found in any trade really..you'll get the competant and professional and you'll get the workday w**nkers who think they're worth the money it says on thier van..I'm relatively new to the trade myself and admit I'm still wet behind the ears or as my old boss says I've still got a hole in my A**e we all started somewhere, although I do disagree with the fastrack courses that are in place 13 weeks and you're a qualified sparks ? Wrong!! I took the correct route and 5 years later I'm still learning... Complacency and over-confidence in your ability is the rub...I may have my bit of paper but I know my limits :)

Well said sir.
But sadly your talking from the mind set of a proper electrician. Knowing your own limits !!
Now in my book. Thats a competant person right there.
The man who knows what he DOESN'T know. Thats what makes you competant.
You say 5 years later and your still learning. I tell you now, 40 years later and I'm still learning.
But again we are talking about those who take pride in there trade.
I still feel the JIB card is probably the nearest thing to proving competance and qualifications.
It scares the hell out of me when I see the kind of idiots people are letting through there front doors.
That said less than a year ago we attended a data centre at two in the morning that had lost its servers supplies. The genny had not kicked in, and the UPS had run flat after 20 minutes. Some twit had fitted a 400A MCCB after the genny change over panel, when an identical OC unit was fitted further down stream.
The original had been correctly calibrated. New one had not ???
How the hell was the genny ever supposed to see the supply had been lost.
Again unskilled persons not thinking about what there doing. And believe me, the down time cost the company a LOT of money. And I mean A LOT.
So its not just domestic stuff is it lads !!

old....the person in question is claiming openly on a public forum that he is a scheme member....when he isn`t.....
and you think they wont do owt about it.....
Well that's different because they will jump all over him yep as I said morals and ethics mean nothing but even a scheme does not give anyone a free ride

That was an interesting Friday afternoon read.
There are some particularly good points such as companies using sub-contractors in the mid-eighties. I think that this is where it all began to go pear shaped in the industry - a sort of deregulation of the skilled workforce.
and what about the continuing blacklisting of certain trades persons ?

However....... When I applied to do an electrical apprenticeship, having come out of the electronics industry, back in those times (30 years ago) as a 'mature' person, I was laughed at and told there was nothing available, that still ****es me off. So it doesn't really surprise me that deregulation has happened , its sometimes feels like a battlefield........

Just been flicking through June's edition of Professional Electrician and 2 things struck me on page 5 Viewpont the editor is questioning if Part P is any longer valid as it has been trimmed and on page 79 NICEIC are advertising their online courses with 95% pass rate free for all springs to mind

this is a proposed licence in the north of Ireland The proposed SparkSafe licence to practice initiative is for qualified electricians, electrical workers and apprentices in the construction industry.
Qualified assessors using agreed criterion will help determine a fair and appropriate licence type for each applicant based upon qualifications, skills and experience.
Three licence types are envisaged, these are Qualified Electrician, Restricted Electrical Worker and Apprentice Electrician. SparkSafe LTP | About SparkSafe

We could ask another question here where do the schemes get off by trying to make us justify ourselves to them plus there is no going back they have flooded the trade with quick trained people who on paper are qualified but are on here via their smart phone posting HELP!!!!!! the RCD or the CU or the Earthing threads.

As for Northern Ireland yet again someone is flying an idea so lets trial it in NI a bit like Thatcher when she said roll out the Poll Tax in Scotland and see how it goes and that was only because her civil servants were saying this just aint going to work.

As for Northern Ireland yet again someone is flying an idea so lets trial it in NI a bit like Thatcher when she said roll out the Poll Tax in Scotland and see how it goes and that was only because her civil servants were saying this just aint going to work.

to be honest I think it is a good thing, all ni's sparks are apprentices passed by the electrical training trust, we would be the only people entitled to the licence's [unless your one of the old brigade with years of experience or a pre 1997 4 year apprenticeship from your local regional college]

to be honest I think it is a good thing, all ni's sparks are apprentices passed by the electrical training trust, we would be the only people entitled to the licence's [unless your one of the old brigade with years of experience or a pre 1997 4 year apprenticeship from your local regional college]

Yep its the similar in Scotland but I look at England with dismay and hope we never go the same way thing is in England the genie is out of the bottle

i'm in the same boat I am 2 years out of my 4 year apprenticeship and I also have my 2391, and I still reckon I am nowhere near good enough to know it all, I come on to this forum not so much for advice but more of a nosey as to see how others would do things, but sometimes you realise it is a bit of the blind leading the blind

Yep its the similar in Scotland but I look at England with dismay and hope we never go the same way thing is in England the genie is out of the bottle

OT, I look at the entire electrical industry and despair.

Being retired it makes no odds to me now. I just get wound up about everything!

Later in the year I’ve got to have EICR done on my place. I feel sorry for the poor schmuck that gets it to do.

OT, I look at the entire electrical industry and despair.

Being retired it makes no odds to me now. I just get wound up about everything!

Later in the year I’ve got to have EICR done on my place. I feel sorry for the poor schmuck that gets it to do.

Why don't you do it?

We could ask another question here where do the schemes get off by trying to make us justify ourselves to them plus there is no going back they have flooded the trade with quick trained people who on paper are qualified but are on here via their smart phone posting HELP!!!!!! the RCD or the CU or the Earthing threads.

If a licence scheme was brought in there would be many arguments as to where the level or levels for a graded system would be set this would upset some but lifting the standards and level of training back to somewhere sensible must be part of the object of such a licence if it was brought in

Labours part p is something akin to the tories poll tax ill thought out and not fit for purpose and it's about time it was put out to grass with all the schemes and these pathetic training companies

Never go, there's too much face to loose & too much money being made. Here to stay I think.

Given that most of these schemes are run by commercial managers with little or no electrical knowledge who have more face than Big Ben

You could be right !!

Why don't you do it?

Insurance.

They want a scam member …………………

Read in to that what you will, but god help the bloody idiot that walks through my door.

Biff, I’d be more than happy for you to do it, but it has to be one on their list. I could rag doll you in person!

Insurance.

They want a scam member …………………

Read in to that what you will, but god help the bloody idiot that walks through my door.

Talk to them a lot of these insurance companies back down done work on many occasions where I produced qualifications to prove I was qualified to do the work while not being a member of their preferred scam. Over the years I've found they don't like the confrontation and being questioned about their choice

Talk to them a lot of these insurance companies back down done work on many occasions where I produced qualifications to prove I was qualified to do the work while not being a member of their preferred scam. Over the years I've found they don't like the confrontation and being questioned about their choice

Yep agree, any time I ever questioned it, it evaporated

and whilst were on the subject of the industry descending into chaos check out this bucket of shyte I got called out to today:

Picture 051.jpg

Picture 052.jpg

Picture 054.jpg

Picture 058.jpg

Picture 059.jpg

Picture 060.jpg

Picture 061.jpg

Picture 062.jpg

Picture 064.jpg

Picture 065.jpg

Picture 067.jpg

chuffin idiot that did this decided RCDs didn`t feature in his world....so pushed em to one side...
theres a neutral-earth fault on one of the lighting circuits...so i will see to that in the morning
the bloody smokes havn`t been wired rite either....there not linked for a start and i think they`v been crossed n all...i`l get a better look at them in the morning...
first port of call was a Ze...0.11 on a TN-C-S.....so happy enough with that..
then make a start getting that board compliant:

Picture 070.jpg

and here`s how he thinks you clip cables:

Picture 071.jpg

Picture 072.jpg
Picture 073.jpg

Like you I started as an apprentice in a large company. Quarrying was a rough and ready industry but strict! In addition to the IEE regulations we had the M&Q regulations to contend with.

The JIB played no part in our progression. When I started it was a closed shop, the union was the arbiter in everything.

I served my time with some excellent trades men and teachers. If I needed something for my IETB log book, the company would find it. If it meant going to another works so be it, pack you’re bags and off you went.

Out of you're time you went on shift with “Jim” as you’re partner. He was a HGV electrician.
The engineer said when he handed over my papers to my father “he’s going to start learning now.”
He wasn’t bloody joking, Jim was a lovely guy. Great on the wagon fleet, no help on a plant fault where we were “it” out of the day shift hours.

Did I learn? I had to fast! It was the steepest learning curve ever.
No amount of tutoring by the “old hands” during you’re apprenticeship prepared you for the foul tempered plant manager. I dropped lucky, one of the plant managers took me under his wing to teach me process engineering.

New apprentices were getting few and far between, but I was made an approved trainer a few years out of my time.
The best thing ever, an apprentice makes you think even more. I was then looking for the “phase tests” for their log book.

The company sent me to learn HV cable jointing with the then MEB, HV system management came next.
I got a reputation on the heavy power side of things so got roped in to contract management. Followed by engineering planning.

Being a good faithful servant of the company.
I cleared off in to production management in the food industry. That didn’t last long, despite studying man management I can fall out with myself. I’d got several couples on my shift, on a good week I would be splitting up fights between couples of various types several times.
Sod this I’m off!

That’s how I found myself in the iron industry. There I got hijacked in to R&D and the fun and games started.
I had to learn PLC programming flying by the seat of my pants.
With the able assistance of a production engineer we caused chaos, all with the blessing of the company.
Finally I went back in to engineering planning.

40 years of being blown up, knocked out and getting kicked up the arse.
Do I regret it?
What do you think?

I’m now retired even though I’d rather not be.

Don’t think I’ve ever stopped learning at any point.

well anyway...a quick report back from that mess...
gets in there today to find the owner`s `worker` in there....he tells me the electrical nonsense was down to:
yerp you guessed it....mr poland.
so anyways...after i had spent over 3 hours sortin out yarric`s mess..i then overheard a heated argument going on in the front room upstairs....turns out the owner didn`t like the price Delroy was giving him for the remedial work he had agreed to us carrying out..including:

sorting out yarric`s total abortion of a dis-board...

replacing all the twin in yarric`s trunking with 3 core for the smokes....as yarric had just seen fit to use the CPC as his link wire...

upgrade the main bonding as yarric didn`t think there was anything wrong with the existing corroded and undersized G/Y...

making good the several appaling attempts at a joint box that yarric left us with...

locating and carrying out remedial work to the neutral-earth fault that yarric tried to hide...

so as it turns out the price that delroy had given the owner was initially OK...but as the work progressed smoothly all of a sudden it was more than the man thought he should pay...
now, i dont go on much about pricing in here but this guy was attempting to take the pis...

so after much heated discussion (all of which was going on in the front room above the cellar where i was working in)....the conclusion was to return it all back to how yarric thought it should be done...

method here:
dont work for crappy customers....they are often just as bad as the yarric`s of this world...

I did however make sure all the CPCs were left in the earth bar, the bonding was present & intact and there was a good earth....

The reason for the heated discussion was the owner was angry with himself and for looking like a fool and yep Yarrick & Darrick have a lot to answer for I got called out twice by them their spark had a neon screwdriver and there's me standing with a voltage pen, a voltage tester, a multimeter, a amp probe and a 1553 and as he put his hand out towards my 1553 I barked NO touchy touchy . The other one was you are the 3rd electrician we have had in the other two said the mains cable is not big enough can you tell us what to do . I said no but I can tell you where to go and anyway you don't need little old me to confirm what the last 2 told you . So now I just dingy them

Glenn,
I hate that trunking on the smokes. Looks like the house is being 'refurbed' (very loose useage of the word), why couldn't they have run the cables properly?
Having said that, it made your job of rewiring it a lot easier!

well....before we got goin this morning we went to the wholesalers who knew this fella
said he kept buggin sparkys in there for advice on how to do this, that and`t other...
quite well known for it actually

this guy had his `worker` goin round upstairs cutting out patterns in lining paper to repair torn sections in the walls...lol...
there were loads of `snippits` everyware where he`d been...lol..
the man is going to rent this out....so i`m keeping that address....and when he has started renting it...(and i`ll know when he does)......then i`m goin to shop this tw&t...
caus that install won`t comply...i just know it...
it isn`t over isn`t this one...
i`m not working for neigh on 4 hours for nowt (i could hardly take money from Del could I when he hadn`t earned owt today)....

Glenn,
I hate that trunking on the smokes. Looks like the house is being 'refurbed' (very loose useage of the word), why couldn't they have run the cables properly?
Having said that, it made your job of rewiring it a lot easier!
didn`t get that far with it archy....
but Del n I had been looking upstairs yesterday when I took the pics....plenty of boards had been up....so there was no excuse for that crap....

Thing is, they look at the money; you are the only one thinking about the value!
well...i`m sick of these tite arsed landlords...
i mean just the other day we had to argue the ---- with 3 brothers who run a garage...they have some properties between em up harehills in Leeds....
now, i`v done quite a bit on these houses up there.....most of em are wired to the 15th...but have had board upgrades....some to the 16th...others on the current ed....
anyway...these guys were arguin over 20 measly quid......
i mean who the hell wants all that hassle....not me i can tell you....
they got a good price as it was....it`s just relentless....

Another true story for you guys. Relates to our euro friends.
Several years back we had a contract sub contracting through an electrical consultancy firm.
It was to fit out new build on a well known german chain of stores.
I remember when the German top brass turned up. We got away with a modest snagging list (Unlike some of the other trades)
A) The emergency fittings in the offices had green led's the main store and warehouse had red. They wanted them all the same colour.
B) Some of the lights were supplied by Tamalite CEF. The union jack labels had to be removed from every single fitting (I kid you not)
Anyway, I digress.
We lost the contract due to being way undercut on price. Profit margin was cut to the bone, and we had a spec to work to, so hands were tied.
A polish electrical contractor won the follow up tender, so bye bye. Or so we thought.
We were called back to several stores because the circuit details on the composite panel did not match up with the circuits they were supposed to control.
A two stage lighting arrangement was also used and contoled from a lighting management panel giving 60 percent less light during non trading times. Plus a modem link up was used so that the lights could be contolled from there head office.
All the above was messed up.
Power circuits were tripping out (they had been connected to lighting circuits) and vise versa.
It was a mess. And to top it all. The spec called for tray work, conduit installs with trunking (all in galv) and armoured cables to feeb lighting track bus bars.
The polish guys had wired the whole install in flexi armour. And it was chucked across the ceiling void in all directions.
I kid you not, a spaghetti bolognese is more tidy.
We sorted it out, but the crazy thing was the polish mob had all gone back home packed and paid.
No wonder they undercut our tender.
Crazy !!!

Reply to Thank you scheme providers. You are destroying a once respected trade. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net