Search the forum,

Discuss THE Quit Smoking Thread in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Reaction score
Right lads and ladies?

We've had a guy quit smoking on tilersforums and he made it look easy. He's done 9 days now and has his sense of humour back already (he'll chuckle if he reads that).

TilersForums.co.uk | Tile Forums | Tiling Forum

So we've made a thread on tilersforums. We're quitting! (well, some of us are!!) and we're not waiting for new years either! (not many resolutions get stuck to apparently).

I was originally waiting for Mike (mikethetile) on TF to quit and if he did it I had in the back of my mind I'll give it a go myself.

So if I quit for 9 days, I want somebody else to quit then. If they don't, no pressure, soon enough there will be somebody else who's quit for 9 days and you can give it another go then perhaps.

So far I've got 2 other tilersforums members, and one is bringing his wife into it and she's well up for it.

We're all quitting on Monday 22nd November when we wake. And the aim is to help each other out a bit. If, sorry, I mean WHEN we manage it and have quit for 9 days, hopefully the 1st December will be the next chance for somebody to A) see that others can do it and B) give it a go themselves.

Hopefully in a few years time we're professionals in support with this haha - and maybe we're all quitting a few at a time.

I wanted to give you the chance to either do this with us, or at least follow us to see how we're doing.

You can join in on TF if you want to (feel free to create an account if you haven't got one already) though I'll pop by here too if you guys want to do it between you.

So stick your name down if you want to give it a go, and wish us luck if you don't smoke or don't want to quit yet.

Still chance to get some free NHS stuff through the post from Smoking? | Advice to help you stop smoking | NHS SmokeFree

And I've requested a call back from my local place, which is what I think Mike (the original 9 day quitter!) did and it helped him he's said.

Free patches and stuff from your doctor too apparently so I'm giving them a bell. But nowt's better than a bit of will power, a reason to do it, and doing it with somebody.

So good luck if you join in. :D

Edit: here's the plumbers thread: http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/general-off-topic-chat/14595-quit-smoking-thread.html#post94207

Last edited:
Right lads and ladies?

We've had a guy quit smoking on tilersforums and he made it look easy. He's done 9 days now and has his sense of humour back already (he'll chuckle if he reads that).

TilersForums.co.uk | Tile Forums | Tiling Forum

So we've made a thread on tilersforums. We're quitting! (well, some of us are!!) and we're not waiting for new years either! (not many resolutions get stuck to apparently).

I was originally waiting for Mike (mikethetile) on TF to quit and if he did it I had in the back of my mind I'll give it a go myself.

So if I quit for 9 days, I want somebody else to quit then. If they don't, no pressure, soon enough there will be somebody else who's quit for 9 days and you can give it another go then perhaps.

So far I've got 2 other tilersforums members, and one is bringing his wife into it and she's well up for it.

We're all quitting on Monday 22nd November when we wake. And the aim is to help each other out a bit. If, sorry, I mean WHEN we manage it and have quit for 9 days, hopefully the 1st December will be the next chance for somebody to A) see that others can do it and B) give it a go themselves.

Hopefully in a few years time we're professionals in support with this haha - and maybe we're all quitting a few at a time.

I wanted to give you the chance to either do this with us, or at least follow us to see how we're doing.

You can join in on TF if you want to (feel free to create an account if you haven't got one already) though I'll pop by here too if you guys want to do it between you.

So stick your name down if you want to give it a go, and wish us luck if you don't smoke or don't want to quit yet.

Still chance to get some free NHS stuff through the post from Smoking? | Advice to help you stop smoking | NHS SmokeFree

And I've requested a call back from my local place, which is what I think Mike (the original 9 day quitter!) did and it helped him he's said.

Free patches and stuff from your doctor too apparently so I'm giving them a bell. But nowt's better than a bit of will power, a reason to do it, and doing it with somebody.

So good luck if you join in. :D

Edit: here's the plumbers thread: THE Quit Smoking Thread

Well done to him indeed!

I have just one question though......if I quit smoking, what the hell am I going to do with all this coffee?

Well done to him from me though! Takes guts and a better man than me to quit.

Watch how we go on the tilersforums mate. We have 4 so far starting to quit Monday. If we quit for 9 days, I'm hoping it'll encourage others to give it a go. And if they don't manage to, there will always be another chance to.

I'm hoping we get good at this and end up with loads of advice about it. Every few weeks there should be another chance to give it another go. I'm hoping that in a few months we have that many quitters that the smokers still smoking see how easy it really can be.

All the products you need are free from NHS now. No prescription charges or anything.

And you can order loads of free stuff here: Stop smoking start living - Online materials

I do mate. Checkout my posts on all the threads on all the forums. I've already written it loads lol.

Watch us triers first. Then watch the next batch. And then give it a go when you're ready. But I'm going to try, and there will be loads more chances. I may not quit this time. But we have 4 people so far quitting monday. 1 of us has to. And if I fail, I'm trying again when they have quit for 9 days straight! Call it a '9 day quit game' if you will lol

Quitting isn't easy, so I don't want to just have one chance for this. But I'm hoping smokers will keep seeing others quit and there will be an opportunity for them to have a go every few weeks (every time a quitter does 9 days, we set another date for others to try if they want to).

If you want to quit, you need loads of reasons why. I'm sure they'll outweigh your single reason of liking it.

And I'm sure if you manage to quit, you'll find having the odd one with a beer or whatever doesn't get you back in full pace unless you let it. So if there are loads of other days chances to stop again, then it'll be a regular reminder to make sure you're at least cutting down.

Inevitably it's your choice and your will power. But I'm hoping if a few try each time we have lots of support and can follow each other and share tips on what's working best etc.

Worth considering matey.

i stopped before for 18 months and found it really easy to do so. for me its when i no longer enjoy a cig that the best time to stop is. unfortunately i got laid off from a previous job a couple of years ago and like a plank i thought i would have a little cig to de stress. just the one i thought on a night time after the kids went to bed. yeh right, i must admit it did do me a little good stopping as instead of banging 20 a day down the airways it`s down to say 7 or 8 now. i am doing the leeds half marathon in may again for the take a heart campaign so i will need to have stopped by the end of jan at the latest as i will be in training to beat the previous time i did the marathon in. which tbh won`t take much :D everyone said i could not and would not be able to do it. well i did :D even after a 3:30 am finish and a slip off a ladder that did my neigh in :) even got a medal and a t shirt :D so if there is anyone in west yorks or even anyone that fancies travelling up in may we could do it together. good luck to dan and all the rest that are going to embark on clearing their lungs :D

ive stopped for 5 days now i was on nearly 20 a day alot more if i was out drinkin during the night ive quit for the kids me stopping smoking is saving over 5 quid a day do the maths for a year

1 word champex ask your doc or nhs its basicall 1 pill with your brekky and 1 with your tea it even stops te cravings and makes the cigs taste disgusting

ive tried twice before on patches and inhaler and got to day 3 before giving in but champex works the best for me

Well done to him indeed!

I have just one question though......if I quit smoking, what the hell am I going to do with all this coffee?

Well done to him from me though! Takes guts and a better man than me to quit.

Drink it lol , ive been lucky never took up the habit but ma mate of mine did and he quit over night but put the money in a large whiskey bottle ,did this for a year and then went on a three week cruse around the med with what he saved so to you smokers give it a try you could get a nice holiday out of it

Last edited by a moderator:
ive stopped for 5 days now i was on nearly 20 a day alot more if i was out drinkin during the night ive quit for the kids me stopping smoking is saving over 5 quid a day do the maths for a year

1 word champex ask your doc or nhs its basicall 1 pill with your brekky and 1 with your tea it even stops te cravings and makes the cigs taste disgusting

ive tried twice before on patches and inhaler and got to day 3 before giving in but champex works the best for me

Well done Jonesy! I salute you, sir!

I'll ask the doc about that pill. Heard somebody else say they heard of a pill but never found out who the original guy was to ask about it. Still yet to see the docs but am going cold turkey myself (had one ciggy today in two halves, and will have another in two halves later)

Well done Jonesy! I salute you, sir!

I'll ask the doc about that pill. Heard somebody else say they heard of a pill but never found out who the original guy was to ask about it. Still yet to see the docs but am going cold turkey myself (had one ciggy today in two halves, and will have another in two halves later)

Yes - but make sure you ask for Champex Stop Smoking - there is another champex solution which is for reducing faecal and mouth odour.....

Here's an article on it.

Doc should know the stuff.

I plan to cut down between now and new year then it's my resolution to stop. I only spend £7.50 on tobbacco a week, but that money can be put away towards my travel and accomodation when I do my first 2 practical weeks. I worked out today the accomodation alone will come to £180 a week, then there's travel and evening meals. Really need to start saving up!! Plus there's tools to start buying. Best incentive I've had in a long time to quit!!!

Right good luck and well done to anyone who's giving this a go.

I started smoking when I was 12 and quit 4 years ago (25), just before I quit I was on 60 a day and 80 on weekends, so if I can do it, anyone can! I'll tell you what worked for me, it may help you.

I did a week of only having half a smoke every hour, to be honest I think this was my hardest week and it may be a good idea to just stop, but even just lighting a smoke and having one drag per hour would give you that little bit of endorphins you need! If you do this, you have to be really strict with yourself, and ignore your brain trying to trick you saying 'well, I'm not meant to have a smoke, but this or that just happened so I can have one'.

After a week, I got my missus to keep a pack of smokes and leave a half a smoke for me each morning, and that was all. You have to have the whole half in the morning too, no saving it through the day anymore. Do this for a week, then you have to quit, just like that, full on no more smokes ever.

TOP TIPS I tried to quit loads of times before and came off the drink as well. It always went well till I had a beer after a week or two, then I was straight back on the cigs. So the time I quit properly, I went on the beer on night one, and kept drinking what I usually would have done normally. The first night or two was hell, and then you get little twinges when you have a beer, but it does vanish pretty quickly.

Lozenges and patches - your docs will give you patches, and you can buy the lozenges (not the chewing gum). I started doing the lozenges on the week i cut down, and used them for the real tricky times, and went on the patches after a week or two. I was still doing the occasional lozenge when on the patches - they tell you not to but let's be honest, smoking is going to give you cancer so a bit of a head rush now and again is worth it, isn't it.

Picstacio nuts! I swear by them! Peanuts and cashews are OK and do hit the spot, but with the picstacio you get to shell them with your hands which gives you something to do. I went through literally pounds of the things... don't mess about with the little bags of KP, get down your local Asian supermarket you can buy big kilo bags for about three quid. Sweets, crisps, good old chewing gum, ice cream, cheese on toast, anything like that, get those snacks in! Worried about your weight? You can go on a diet when you're done. You can't get rid of an aggressive malignant tumour with exercise and diet! And I don't care how many snacks you have, they ain't going to cost you the 10-20-30 quid a day the cigs cost you.

How easy is it not to do something? I've failed at trying to do things, but I can't see how you could fall off if you're trying not to do something! Honestly I was a big time smoker and, although I did have my stressy moments, after about a week I found it a piece of pee. But you HAVE TO keep in mind that you are quitting and you are never going to smoke again. If you have another cig, you WILL fail. Avoid them at all costs.

Good luck, gentlemen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard or read that the first couple of puffs on a ciggy is about all the body NEEDS to suppress the cravings.

So, if thats the case it seems you need to stop FULL STOP.

Tis only what i had read though.

Don't know if this thread is continuing but I've decided to give up on the sixth. I've been smoking for about 18 years now and I go through 30 a day. I'm going to try the inhalers again, I had some success before with them and gave up for 5 days until I went to the pub and thought one cig won't hurt, that was 7 years ago and I'm still smoking! No more from the 6th, I'll keep you up dated. Thanks for the advice

Good Luck Paul! I'm right behind you on the 10th, gives me first 4 days on my own, so I won't be biting anyone who comes near ;)

Well done guys!

Firmly sitting on the maybe fence at this moment. Jury is thoroughly out on whether it's a good idea or not - I'm fine with it, everyone else is not, so far....

In a randomly conducted poll today, with complete anonymity not assured, promised, or given, I've sacked, um, everyone, today (at least twice) for saying I'd be worse than the living dead if I quit. It seems that there are two things my staff make sure I have before they even think of talking to me.....a cigarette and a large latte/other coffee.

The poll was unanimous - with the most popular response being "hahahahahahahaha".....which I found mildy hurtful :(

Apparently, I don't approach being human before the fifth coffee, and the sixth smoke. And even then......

You can tell my staff really appreciate me, and all the well meant guidance I give them each day :D

Against that, 41 in a few days time, one cardiac arrest under my belt, not much hair, fat gut, empty wallet, shocking dress sense, failing eyesight, a 20 hour a day work habit, c/o my parents for the moment......wow! I just realised how great my life is! LOL! Where's that FML site?

Who knows.......definitely maybe.

I wish you guys the very best of will and luck, and I may yet see you on the former smoker side yet...... :)

Well done both of you! Good luck.

Bill probably not on your mind at the moment but 25 year old chicks don't dig smokers. Just putting it out there....

I like smoking
I may eventually pay a price for doing so,I average 20 ish a day for the last 50 years and can still monkey around an attic with the best of them (and I have a full head of non grey hair) :)

I wish anyone who gives up, all the success in their efforts,but I liken my smoking to that attic monkey above
Would you want him outside the forest not swinging on the trees he so loves, or, swinging away, even with the danger of falling out of one of those dangerous trees :eek:

I'm not on here defending the habit,but its not the "cast iron solid" monster it is sometimes made out to be
Expensive,yes.
Health hazard,most probably
Positives,none for a person who has never smoked.for the avid smoker,there are some

By the way/I am the only one in my home that does,so I am the proverbial leper as well

Outside puff puff shiver puff shiver ah that was nice :)

Quit today at 11am. Havent felt the urge at all allday which is quite surprising when I average 25 a day. Heres hoping I can stick at it. Good luck to the rest of you guys.

Well done both of you! Good luck.

Bill probably not on your mind at the moment but 25 year old chicks don't dig smokers. Just putting it out there....

LMAO! Staying away from 20 somethings! The x just turned 27...... (yeah!) ......so looking for someone more mature now - at least 27 1/2!

You're right though - it's not a good look any more - suppose I'd better stop wearing tank tops, flares, and mo's too lol!

It may well happen yet.....not, I quickly add, because I want a 25 year old lol, but it might just be the difference between the Onkyo AV receiver I fell in love with last night while online window shopping.......a mere £2k worth.......Home Cinema Heaven - will go verrrry nicely with the KEF 3005's I've long decided on.

Quit today at 11am. Havent felt the urge at all allday which is quite surprising when I average 25 a day. Heres hoping I can stick at it. Good luck to the rest of you guys.

VERY well done you mate - keep at it!

Remember, you've made it this far since the last one, so you CAN do a bit more. Easily.

Well done fella!

Guys,

I'm off the smokes 3 years this march. I promise to all of you that the first 48hrs are the hardest, and after the 2 week mark it's all purely psychological !!

Keep at it!!

i paid £150 to get hypnotized with a 2 year guarantee ,which worked fine for about 8 months ,I even started training for the marathon which is unheard of , I went back a few times to get reprogrammed which worked briefly. Its the new year now and i have not smoked or drank for 3 days, I always thought I could never give up as I have been smoking big time for easily over 30 years. I could not believe how easy it was to give up after being hypnotized. It is defo just in the head after the cravings have gone, Can I wish everyone all the best in packing up the dreaded weed, One Day At A Time Works For me

Still going strong here from Tueday. I know it doesnt seem much but it is the longest I have ever went.

Have had the odd urge, like yesterday after dinner I went out the back to have a smoke then wondered where my cigs were:p

its Friday night I would usually be in the pub now and outside smoking , neither has happened tonight , i still have a soar throat and a cough from xmas, Good Luck All

I kicked it using the 'champix' tablets. Last febuary the 1st. i smoked for 25 years.and to be fair ( on my wife and kids firstly )its the best decision as an adult i have made so far.
I never new the smell of 'old' smoke , on the breath , smelt SO rank... How i think cancer/or death smells..
anyone giving giving-up a go..then good for them AND there family/friends. All the best x

it has been about 8 months for me but i will admit a few puffs in between when i was pareletic ,this was my forth atempt after 20 years smoking,
i now cant stand smokers and hold my breath blatently when i go past them, why should i have to imbibe the filthy stuff.
apart from the drinking i have become a bit of health freik now and love my local gym and pampering my lungs after the batering they have been under over the years.
so hopefully it wont be cancer that kills me in the end but probably liver failure as i now have more money to get hamered when i want to.
ps i know you no it but you smokers smell awful.

day eight and no problems so far bar the f ing and blinding etc , decided I will knock the beer on the head for a few weeks. I dread to think how much i spend in the pub each week, I treated myself to a new fluke 116 since I am no longer a smoker, I have also decided to lose the belly, so I went for my first run of the year about 3 miles on sunday and yesterday about 50 minutes of swimming ,today I went to the dentist for a check up and she asked was there any problems to which i said no , i then mentioned when brushing my teeth last thing at night when i spit I get a tad of blood, She took a few xrays and was relieved when she twigged that I had stopped smoking within the last week and this only started since I stopped ,Apparently smoking closes the blood vessels , Stick with it ,good luck all

, i then mentioned when brushing my teeth last thing at night when i spit I get a tad of blood, She took a few xrays and was relieved when she twigged that I had stopped smoking within the last week and this only started since I stopped ,Apparently smoking closes the blood vessels , Stick with it ,good luck all

Never knew this. Gave up last week and since then my gums have been a bit sore and bleeding while brushing my teeth.

been going grand so far still staying off the beer and not going to the pub so there is no temptation. All my teeth have fallen out not really, It will be 2 weeks on monday off the smokes, Strange thing I have to go to a mates funeral on monday who died suddenly from a breathing issue.
Stick with it,good luck all

Ive recently been working with a fella, a right nice fella, who loves to (and i mean LOVES to ) cough up his lungs so heavily after every smoke his ring came up. Fella also complaining of blood in spit after the phlegm-up ! Funny how smokers accept all aspects of smoking..all the bad stuff.
I dont smoke, but also i dont sniff glue, do 'monoxide' or 'H'. I dont smell Rank.
Good Luck To All Giver - Uppers

well day 20 without a smoke or a pint . I also liked a few pints 4 days a week so decided to knock that on the head to avoid the temptation of smoking. Its really weird because the only time I need cash is when I go to the pub , I suspect I have saved easily a few hundred pounds no problem. I have taken up jogging and swimming also Happy days,
Good luck all stick with it

Reply to THE Quit Smoking Thread in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net