Search the forum,

Discuss THE Quit Smoking Thread in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I quit in march 2011. I left a job I hated to somewhere else and decided that was the time to stop smoking & pleased to say I havnt touched one since. Hopefully I won't go back to it!

Haven't read the thead, cba...but i think i may be a minority here, i am on-site anyway WHICH IS NOT FAIR BTW...i've never smoked, ever in my life. Disgusting habbit lads you should all be ashamed :p

And why it isn't fair i hear you ask...you all get smoke breaks every half an hour, and muggings over here has to carry on working lol. :hand:

I've stopped smoking for 11 days now had major cravings initially but starting to forget get about them. I stopped because I was Ill I thought that was a good spring board.

I am not the most appreciated poster on here I know, I like a joke and stuff
But I feel one of the best thing I ever did was to give up smoking it was one of the hardest but most rewarding.
Its one day at a time if you fancy a smoke leave it a day then another think I have gone through this, if
I have one it’s for nothing.
You will find that you will find excuses such as “I am under stress, I have had a drink blaa blaa de blaa.
Its not it’s the addiction to tobacco.
Don’t have mini cigars you can have no tobacco, I have given up now for 35 years but if I smoked 1 smoke now I think I would start again

All the best to you, you can do it.

quit over 20 years ago (cold turkey style) it was very rough but i can tell you this.
your body will let you know when its time to quit.
i dont recommend quitting cold turkey because the stress it can cause more damage than smoking.
i generally recommend dropping amount by half every 2 weeks.
this is gradual enough to easily get used to.
also keep healthy snacks on hand like dried fruit, fresh veggies and drink a lot of water

this method is very successful

Yea , sounds pretty cool.
However, you can kick a habit but its a lot harder to kick an attitude.

I'll stick with my habit until I can kick the arse out of the attitude that makes me interested in the habit....

Cheers man this is actually the most sound advice I have ever heard on this subject matter. I might actually give this a go and if nothing else at the very least I will have halfed the amount I smoke and had some healthy snacks.

BUT in all seriousness I think I can do it if i follow your advice :D

Well done to him, all us smokers know how hard it can be.
I stopped for couple of months and saved myself a lot of money, all cold turkey. For some peopke it works for others it dont. Then my life got stresfull and started again, but admittedly, a lot less than before

My misses is on the e-smoke. Puts her own nicotine in, its a lot cheaper fair play and according to her it does not give you all the chemicals but just the nicotine. She did start it and have 4 smokes a day too, that soon went to two and now its none. Shes not quit, because she's still getting the nicotine (I haven't the heart to tell her is effectively a bong) but she feels like she is quoting and she is smoking that a lot less now and has no smokes. Think the kit cost her £30, looks like a smoke box and the smoke freaks me out because it looks real and she's touching the settee with it lol :)

Lets take a little turn or twist to the forum, because Smoking or Quitting smoking finally depend on the person who is intending to do it, the person determined to left his habit of smoking and to overcome it with a very strong zest in his mind and heart will definitely succeed in doing so, provided he has to keep himself away from it and continuously motivate self to stay away from it, because ultimately it will be difficult for the smoker to quit or not to touch cigarettes initially in starting days or a week so but if he is capable of doing so and not smoking even a puff in a week, he will than find the way ahead a bit easy to handle because he will then get the confidence to fully quit it permanently as well, but for getting this, the initial week or month is very important

Its not just the tiny thinking part of the brain that smokes but the massive subconscious. Yes most people will quit if told you are going to die because you now have this or that illness and if you stop you will live. Or you have been placed in a Thai prison, or kidnapped by a serial killer. My point is, quitting smoking is hard because of choice. Your rationale brain will try to act like one of the three scenarios ie I have no choice I have to stop. But the subconscius will win in the end due to wanting it and the choice ie opportunity is everywhere. Sometimes you will get a headstrong person just say no and quit and succeed but that is rare. The secret to quitting is firstly to fool the brain, do that and you can wean yourself off it, similar to a baby being weaned off a dummy.

I have had a 10motives e-smoke that was £5 from tesco.
bought last sat and ran out yesterday lasted a week. (Just bought another)

only had 2 smokes since buying. The 1st was while I was driving trying the open the packet of the e-smoke and the second I only had half of it.

would recommend for anyone.

sitting here now in the warm with it and a nice cuppa, while the misses it sitting out in the rain having a smoke lol.

anyone thinking of quitting or trying the quit. BUYONE and just leave the smokes at home after the first day you'll not need a smoke again.

I have had a 10motives e-smoke that was £5 from tesco.
bought last sat and ran out yesterday lasted a week. (Just bought another)

only had 2 smokes since buying. The 1st was while I was driving trying the open the packet of the e-smoke and the second I only had half of it.

would recommend for anyone.

sitting here now in the warm with it and a nice cuppa, while the misses it sitting out in the rain having a smoke lol.

anyone thinking of quitting or trying the quit. BUYONE and just leave the smokes at home after the first day you'll not need a smoke again.

Just read this post and I'll be back in 5 minutes lol

Actually, going cold turkey is often easier than trying to cut down gradually. As long as there is ANY nicotine present in your body, your body will demand it. You need to just stop. After three days your body will be nicotine free. Then it's just a matter of breaking your routine and the feeling that you 'need' a smoke at certain times and under certain conditions. It really is all in the mind. If you don't get the nicotine out of your system then you might as well forget it. I quit cold turkey and after three days my body didn't physically crave smokes, but social situations and my daily routine were harder to overcome. The hardest part was just saying no in the morning when I'd made a coffee and I was getting ready for the day ahead.

I tried patches once but I couldn't keep them a light, no seriously when I tried patches they used to fall off me in the night and they stuck on the wife and she lost her craving for the smokes and gave up

Be good aye to give up, me only bad habit left. I'm working on it.... I find when smoke smuggled tobacco you don't smoke as much.. But always go back to smokes before tobacco finished

I gave up smoking at christmas, only problem is I'm now addicted to ecigs and cos I'm allowed to smoke them indoors I have probably quadrupled my nicoteine intake since...

Not tried Vamo but just looked at the pics it looks like something the terminator would smoke! Are they any good? I currently use use the ones from 10motives dot com

They are nothing short of awesome. I got the full kit for around £50 with some more juice and other extras. I'd not use anything else now. I'm blown away. No more doggy cartomisers, that fry the battery. In fact I don't use them now and use a wick, its far better. What I like about it is you can adjust everything electrical to alter your taste and your throat hit. Its not the best thing to take out lol as you'll get some mad looks, but I just have one 510 ecig for that.

I got it from vaper train, they got a website its a very good price for the kits. As for juice I like the Tobacco Reds USA - Jac Vapour sell that, its about all they sell worth having :) The vamo is a great bit of kit especially if you use wicks to vape with it ie no more cartomisers :)
[h=2][/h]

looks good - and probably save me even money long term over the 10motives cartomisers I use - seem to be getting through them at a pretty fast rate...!

Yip I'm only using up the carts I got doing it direct is a lot cheaper and less hassle. Be sure to buy yourself a bottle with a needle for filling. They are only 90p and makes the job so fast and easy :)

Chap in my office has just gone over to an ecig and loves it. I told him not to 'smoke' it at his desk, so he spends even longer outside now!

I finds they make me cough more then the real deal and you don't know when to stop, The '40 smoke' cartridge last me about 10 lol There a good idea mind, if they keep getting popular then they will hopefully develop them more and more. At the moment they got nothing on cowboy killers though! I swear philip morris puts something more addictive then nicotine in Marlboros!

hi guys, I would like to quit, a good friend of mine quit, not smoked for 5 months now only problem is he has piled on the weight like a lot of people who stop

Just like to weigh in with another shout for ecigs/vaping. I bought one about 3 weeks ago, wasn't even considering giving up smoking, just thought I'd give them a try.

Bought one of those that is about the same shape as a cigarette first, then bought another battery for it.

Soon realised that they don't really cut it so got a Kanger protank and an ego twist.

I had one cigarette today because all my batteries were flat or charging. I had one cigarette three days ago for the same reason.

I reckon I'm probably consuming more nicotine, but that's fine, it's a pretty cool drug after all, that's why cigarette addiction is so insidious. I don't want to smoke a "stinky", I'd rather use my cool looking gadget.

I've also got arriving via ebay a selection of flavourings and glycerol so I can make my own eliquid.

So, get into the vapes, its more like smoking than smoking!

The E smokes are pretty good.
I'm (was) a 40 a day man, but since having the ecig, reduced my weekly consumption a good 30-40% without getting stressed out about it.

Just noticed my post above... Still working! :)
Time to go for less than 20 a day...:39:

Had my last smoke in Feb (about 30 a day for years before then), been on vapourlites e things since and am now down to 0 Mg nicotine so just gotta break the habit rather than the addiction now. Probably put on 2.5 stone in weight though but I can shift that after the glow in the dark fake smokes have gone.

I like the e-cig thingies, 10 months without a real smoke ............my all time record...........That reminds me must get the old electronic smoke PAT tested soon it's nearly a year old lol

I've just gone past the 20 day mark without a real cig., my all time record in 40 years by 20 days.
I'm permanently attached to my e-cig though! Going through about 15ml of juice/week.

@40/day, that's 800 smokes I haven't smoked...

Yes.

Started back in April on the ciggie looking ones, only managed to cut down about a third.
A few weeks back, after some geezer let me have a toke on his refillable, decided to get one, haven't had a smoke since I got it.

I'm very tempted at giving them a bash, but there seems to be so many to choose from, sizes, colours, shapes, it used to be tipped or rolls ups, now so many choices lol

Juice separate, yes.
I didn't get the next kit up because I already had the mains charger from the previous jobbies.

So, with juice, £40 delivered and they give you a time it's coming.

Q for you ex smokers, did you go through a phase where your lungs clear themselves out, coughing up goodness knows what?
I've heard it happens around 6 weeks, or is it just an Urban myth?
I'm getting slightly chesty/gurglely at the moment after 3 weeks, nowt of any significance though.

Reply to THE Quit Smoking Thread in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net