Discuss Things that make your blood boil... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

People who play Devils advocate on forums instead of either
1. Giving an informative and well thought out reply using their knowledge or valid opinion
2 just reading the threads and accepting that someone else is better suited to reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
People who don't know when to shut up and watch/listen!
Not trying to get everyone raving about Electrical Trainee but....
Got a new bloke at work (industrial/controls) did a 4 week course last summer, ok he's not bad on his theory for domestic and basic stuff. .....
But he's just one of those people who thinks he knows it all! got all the gear yet is asking basic questions and challenging anything he's told to do!

Told me I was doing several things wrong last week even though he's got zero experience in any kind of electrical job other than odds and sods he's never wired a real circuit! and before last week had never touched anything other than single phase
Just got the wrong attitude full stop , can't see him lasting here which is a shame because he's not stupid just a complete idiot in his ways!
Rant over

Next time you strip a twin and Earth by yanking the cpc up through the outer sheath, compare the length of the cpc to the live/neutral. IT WILL SOMEHOW BE LONGER!! It magically gains up to an inch in length. Strain on cable?

The proper way to strip twin and earth is to run a sharp Stanley knife down the middle of the cable using the cpc as a guide. It takes a day to get used to but you will notice how much better it is for the cable. I'd say 98% strip with side cutters haha, this could be the start of something!!

Next time you strip a twin and Earth by yanking the cpc up through the outer sheath, compare the length of the cpc to the live/neutral. IT WILL SOMEHOW BE LONGER!! It magically gains up to an inch in length. Strain on cable?

The proper way to strip twin and earth is to run a sharp Stanley knife down the middle of the cable using the cpc as a guide. It takes a day to get used to but you will notice how much better it is for the cable. I'd say 98% strip with side cutters haha, this could be the start of something!!

Nonsense!

To get the cpc to stretch by an inch over such a short length would cause it to snap.

And what do you use were they are banned on sites, which is now becoming the norm?

It's been a while since I've seen a thread started which allows fellow electricians to share their pet hates in the business and to let off some steam!

Lets keep it top three things you hate!

1. People who write 'spare' on consumer unit labels!
2. People who only use 1" of blue/brown sleeving on switched lives/neutrals!
3. People who twist earth conductors together at switches/sockets!

Come on guys, let it out!

People who get hyped up over petty issues ;)

ok my main bug is people leaving tiewraps with razor edges so any other trade ends up looking like a knife attack victim.... other than that nothing else, noting your list I think your a little over sensitive and need to regulate your blood pressure for your health :)

Oh yeah and people on site that think my tool kit is there for the borrowing without asking!!! :rant:

Last edited:

Snip into the end, grab hold of each half and pull apart.

The problem with using a knife as you describe is that it's very easy to skim a big of the thickness of the cpc away, which is a very bad thing to do.

Snip into the end, grab hold of each half and pull apart.

The problem with using a knife as you describe is that it's very easy to skim a big of the thickness of the cpc away, which is a very bad thing to do.
Wont happen if you use a proper electricians knife

I dont do much T&E but ive never found the cpc to be miles longer than the other pair?
I cant see how it would unless you have a short run and pulled the whole conductor through the sheath a bit.

If you somehow stretch it me thinks your pulling it to hard sir ;)

Other trades (especially tilers) who can't be bothered to move your tool bag and fill it with off cuts and tile dust, barstewards!!!!!!!

Customers who want you to make a silk purse out of a Sow's ear, you know the ones who want the best but only willing to be the cheapest.

? dont bother.

ring the twin then bend it left and right and it will come off in one piece, bloody amateur's

Reply to Things that make your blood boil... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net