Discuss This should have happened years ago in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

hum... lets no go there.

But getting the mobile operators to improve the service nationally wouldn't cost much, especially when you realise how much we chuck at the EU every day.
I'm and old fellow. I was around before the Dead Sea reported in sick.
And long before the advent of mobile phones. In fact, growing up we didn't have a phone of any sort in the house.
It was our choice, and cost, to get one. Not government.

Life moves on. We now have a land line, broad band, and television from one supplier.
Mrs B and I both have mobile phones with different networks.

We could ditch it all. It's our choice to keep or discard any or all of the communications.
I just don't see what it has to do with government.

The idea of improved national coverage and sharing was being suggested at least 10 years ago and nothing much improved.
Looking at the article it states this improvement is for 2G only.

Waste of time doing 2G it's history.
EE have been stripping out 2G equipment for a couple of years to make way for 4G.
And I suspect reducing capacity on 3G in favour of 4G

They never managed to get 100% coverage for T.V when there were only 4 channels, so 100% phone coverage has no chance.

A lot of people rely on internet/mobile for there business, it makes sense that it should be available to everyone everywhere in the country not just how it suits the services provider. I think this is a good thing they are getting a kick up the backside.

For Me if i'm working in a place with no signal i know for sure when i do get signal later on i'm going to have a lot of calls / emails that need attention to, even potential loss of work.

The idea of improved national coverage and sharing was being suggested at least 10 years ago and nothing much improved.

EE have been stripping out 2G equipment for a couple of years to make way for 4G.

They never managed to get 100% coverage for T.V when there were only 4 channels, so 100% phone coverage has no chance.

Now that may explain why why the signal strength to me has deteriorated since EE came along.

Orange managed a full 5 bars, EE struggle with 3 - and the mast is in the next street!!

I beg to disagree with you Tel but more often than not my phone could make an "emergency" call when I'm off the Vodafone network - which means there IS a network available and thus they do know where you are!

The fact you can make an emergency call does not mean they know where you are. The facility to make an emergency call on any network has only been available for 4 - 5 years the problem with the emergency call roaming unless something has changed recently is if the call drops they have no way of calling you back

I not to sure on other areas.....But for Surrey you will notice over the past 3 years, coverage decreasing. One very simple reason this , Police station closures....No body wanted masts erected, nor wanted to see them...so they where placed on Police building, in return the police were given free internal call mobiles. These mobiles are no longer required with the new Tetra radios, so deal finished....as Police stations closed the mobile repeaters go, and no where else to put them.

You also have the anti's to contend with who believe all these radio waves are bad for your health but they continue to the system they are so against

hum... lets no go there.

But getting the mobile operators to improve the service nationally wouldn't cost much, especially when you realise how much we chuck at the EU every day.

Every mobile phone cell has a finite limit on the number of calls it can carry at any one time which is down to it's network connectivity which is usually a point to point data radio to increase capacity in some cases would require radio's with greater bandwidth or multiple radio's which then relies on the available radio spectrum which is becoming very clogged hence Ofcom are trying to use previously reserved spectrum for day to day comms

Are you with 3? I think they have went a year early in abolishing roaming charges.

3 have a deal in some countries that you use your minutes as you would in the UK without penalty

In an ideal world everything would be flat unfortunately in the build process something went wrong with the planet we are on and therefore these topographically challenged radio waves have problems getting everywhere

Apparently Theresa May (whoever she is) has come up with the razor sharp theory that cellphone networks in the UK shouldn't be improved to reduce the no signal areas because this would aid criminals and terrorists.
But May argues in the leaked internal Whitehall letter that Javid’s plans to end “not-spots”, by allowing customers to roam between rival networks, could aid criminals and terrorists. The Times reported that May’s objections centre around concerns that roaming would make it more difficult for the agencies to track suspects. source

So I guess the best thing for security would be to ban mobile phones entirely that way it would make life really difficult for the terrorists and criminals because they'd have to use the postal service and it would be much easier for authorities to intercept their communications using a letter opener ;).

Reply to This should have happened years ago in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net