Discuss TT High Zs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The fact is that Bs7671 does not give a maximum Ra value and does not state that the value must be stable....only that a value exceeding 200 ohms may be unstable. Nobody has ever given a valid reason as to why it needs to be stable as far as I can recall.
People pluck values out of the air for their preferred maximum..The NIC seem to favour 100ohms,and I recall a poster on here saying he gets twitchy if it's over 80 ohms. Nobody has ever given a valid reason for their preferred value.
If your Ra is around 335ohms then it is in full compliance with Bs7671 and you need do no more, although you may choose to .
In that case pluck a figure out of the air like everyone else seems to do.

It needs to be stable as an unstable value will change and could exceed the maximum permitted value with seasonal variations in ground conditions.

Stability is not just about getting a low Ra, a high Ra from a well designed earth electrode will be more stable than a low Ra from a single short rod.

It needs to be stable as an unstable value will change and could exceed the maximum permitted value with seasonal variations in ground conditions.

Stability is not just about getting a low Ra, a high Ra from a well designed earth electrode will be more stable than a low Ra from a single short rod.

Good reason for stability, (perhaps)!.....but the 'over 200 ohms may be unstable' guidance is clearly a joke as stability has nothing to do with the ohms value of the electrode. The OP's 335ohms may well be more stable than another rod with a 50ohm value.

I've read here, that depending on how you carry out your Zs test, you might not be getting an accurate figure. Try bypassing RCD and two wire high current test. See what result you get then? Do Ze test, R1+R2 test?
The OP hasn't actually tested the earth rod or got a Ze figure yet.

So perhaps we should wait for that before we start hammering in new earth rods etc ;)

I had an argument with a NIEIC assessor over this very subject. During an assessment a good few years back one of the installations was a TT.
The Ze measured at the time was 107 ohms, the assessor questioned this value.

I responded by stating that in the regs a value of less than 200 ohms was considered stable and acceptable. He refused this and said that the NICEIC would not accept a value greater than 100 ohms.

I was unaware of this at the time and asked for a valid explanation for the reasoning behind this? He had no definitive answer and just kept repeating that it was just not acceptable by the NICEIC. I argued that it was by the regs guidelines and therefore was no problem. Anyhow he got the hump and failed my assessment based on the fact that I had not complied with the NICEIC standards. I phoned the NICEIC office explained what had transpired and complained about my failed assessment. They couldn't explain to me why the value of 100 ohms was the acceptable one set by them. They just quashed the failure and re-instated my compliance with no other action or assessment required.

Yes - my thinking too. I haven't checked the 'above 200 unstable' statement in Table 41.5 but I'm prepared to accept it.

For a really good debate - what code would you give this, if any? :)

I'd seriously consider a C3 if part of an EICR or maybe no code and a comment, I do like to see a value well under 200 ohms ideally.

Do you need to?

My understanding of C3 is that the item does not comply with Bs7671 but is not considered to compromise the safety of the install. So a C3 cannot be applied if it complies with Bs7671.
Some might argue that as 200ohms is mentioned then that is effectively a regulation, however a maximum Zs of 1667 ohms would seem to contradict that.
TBH though it's a bit academic either way....a C3 will not stop a satisfactory EICR so it hardly matters really.

The type and depth of an earth electrode shall be such that soil drying and freezing will not increase its resistance above the required value

Just food for thought,if everybody were to comply with the above regulation,the questions about stability would not be relevant :)

Now,If the value were low enough to operate the Rcd (be it a 30,100,300 or 500) and that value was typical of the conditions found in the area, the Ra could be almost any figure below the operating value as long as it does indeed operate the device

My conclusion would be the maximum resistance of the earth electrode can be almost anything you want it to be, as long as the above reg is satisfied,the 100 ohms or 200 ohms or even higher may be figures that may be of little practical benefit :clapping:

The type and depth of an earth electrode shall be such that soil drying and freezing will not increase its resistance above the required value

Just food for thought,if everybody were to comply with the above regulation,the questions about stability would not be relevant :)

Now,If the value were low enough to operate the Rcd (be it a 30,100,300 or 500) and that value was typical of the conditions found in the area, the Ra could be almost any figure below the operating value as long as it does indeed operate the device

My conclusion would be the maximum resistance of the earth electrode can be almost anything you want it to be, as long as the above reg is satisfied,the 100 ohms or 200 ohms or even higher may be figures that may be of little practical benefit :clapping:

Good points....I wonder how compliance with that regulation could be verified on an EICR? It would be very difficult to gauge the depth of an electrode without digging it up!

Reply to TT High Zs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net