Discuss Under Floor Heating thermostat - Inside or Outside the Bathroom? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

As stated in my first post. The reason I have asked on here is not because I am carrying out this work myself, ( I am a Landlord and know its not worth the risk) it is because I have had two electricians in that have given me two conflicting answers. Hence, I thought I would get an understanding myself so I can make an informed choice based on others knowledge. Thanks for your concern Murdoch but you can call the Regulation card on some other thread.

You've lost me.....

As a Landlord you will fully understand the need to understand ALL the relevant regulations and your duty of care towards your tenants...... which you have acknowledged.

As for your "conflicting" sparks advice - maybe get a better one who fully understands the regs?

I believe you where already lost.........

And how do you suggest I make an informed decision as to which electrician is better. Maybe flipping a coin or maybe by coming on a certain forum and asking other experienced electricians advice?

Both of your electricians could have been correct depending on the equipment and the installation dimensions .
Did they survey the job , or a fone interview?

Both of your electricians could have been correct depending on the equipment and the installation dimensions .
Did they survey the job , or a fone interview?

Fair point ruston. They both looked at the job in person. I shall contact the guy who said it needed to be on the outside of the bathroom with some of this info to see if he has overlooked anything. Otherwise I will go with the electrician who says it can be put on the inside......although his quote was much more. Although, in my experience of tradesman this is usually an indication that they know what they are talking about :)

If it's worth anything I prefer them on the outside too (probe obviously). He was probably thinking of moisture attacking the stat ( controller ) if it is not ip rated.

Last edited:
You are welcome. Even if it is , and it is likely to be; I still prefer them on the outside . The last one I fit the cover just clipped on, and did not inspire me with confidence.

One of the problems here I believe, is a misunderstanding.
To start with, there is no way anyone could really give advice as to where the thermostat or the FCU should be sited based on the information supplied in the OP.
Yes we can advise that there is nothing in the Regulations prohibiting them from being sited in a bath/shower room, but without knowledge of the type and rating of the equipment or the dimensions of the location, we can not give meaningful advice on anything else.
Then there is the intended purpose of the underfloor heating along with the function of the thermostat to consider.
Is the UFH intended to heat the location, of just warm the floor?
Is the function of the thermostat to control the heating up to a set temperature, or to prevent the UFH from operating above a set temperature?

Thanks spinlondon. Good point regarding me adding more information in the initial post, I shall take that on board for any future posts. The UFH will be used to heat the bathroom. It is a 200w/m2. The function if the UFH thermostat is to heat the room.

You are welcome. Even if it is , and it is likely to be; I still prefer them on the outside . The last one I fit the cover just clipped on, and did not inspire me with confidence.

I concur. Although the thermostat and SFCU may, on paper, be suitable for use in a bathroom, the possibility of extended periods of high humidity mean that, if possible, I would site any electrical equipment outside the room, if only to prolong the life of the equipment.

Siting a thermostat other than in the place it is supposed to control the heating of, is pointless.
It would be like siting a dawn to dusk sensor in the USA to control street lights in the UK.

Unless you can tell us exactly which make and model number of thermostat it is then we are all peeing in the wind as far as advice goes.
I have fitted them both inside and out of bathrooms and suchlike, it all depends on the individual controller and its suitability for the location.

Some are just an air temperature sensor which connect back to a central control unit, some are stand alone battery powered units, some are mains powered, some are wireless, some are hard wired. Some are flipping dangerous wherever you install them.
It is really an open question at the moment.

Unless you can tell us exactly which make and model number of thermostat it is then we are all peeing in the wind as far as advice goes.
I have fitted them both inside and out of bathrooms and suchlike, it all depends on the individual controller and its suitability for the location.

Some are just an air temperature sensor which connect back to a central control unit, some are stand alone battery powered units, some are mains powered, some are wireless, some are hard wired. Some are flipping dangerous wherever you install them.

hit, nail and head spring to mind.

He hasn't answered the questions about the specifics of the bathroom/water / zones so we continue to guess

The thermostat in question is a [h=4]Heatmiser Slimline-E[/h]
https://www.heatmiser.com/en/slimline-thermostat-series-2/

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Under Floor Heating thermostat - Inside or Outside the Bathroom? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net