Discuss Vertical Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Can't see any issue with vertical installation, provided specified IP ratings are met and door won't flop about. Out of interest, what brand is this 200A 'consumer' unit?

By a 200A consumer unit, do you mean a TPN unit which is typically vertical anyway? Or do you mean something else? How many ways do you need?

Thanks for replying. I dont have a brand. Im an architect and shown a consumer unit fitting in this space. Builder says it cant go there! I want to make sure that is right before telling my client it needs to go somewhere else. 200A is the ampage that it needs to achieve, according to builder.

What is this consumer unit supplying? Approx building size / use? I'm thinking it is perhaps a very large house with a 3-phase 200A supply, or maybe something else?

In honesty I don't think it's ideal to shoehorn a distribution board sideways into a new or newly refurbished property.

I'd also want a lot more detail before specifying anything. A residental property with 200A supply would generally have a considerable number of outgoing circuits connected and a reasonably large board (by domestic standards) to accomodate these.

I think you are probably right! thanks for all your advice

There should be some way of working within the stated confines, provided aquequate height is available, but it seems less than ideal for a new installation to current regulations. Rather than installing sideways, I'd be inclined to look at two row boards.

I'd also be inclined to believe the available supply will be less than 100A and would probably press the builder on that issue.

Reply to Vertical Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net