Discuss What am I accountable for on CU change as got bad test results. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

PHS

-
Reaction score
Hi, all continuity test results are ok now I replaced all the loose earths in all the sockets and lamp holders around the house. The radial going off to feed the boiler/shower/not sure what else, all branches out of a old unfused spur where the neon no longer works, and this radial is where I am having problems with the insulation test. E/N is giving me 174, as is E/L would be nice to get the 999 reading though, but the L/N reading is showing a short. (0).
This is for a test piece to be examined and I only changed the CU, do I now need to locate and fix problem before i can carry on with my tests and have my assesment?
Cheers

I would have said you should have tested located any faults and corrected them before changing the board,as you are aware a fault exists it's up to you now to find and fix it,hence testing before you start.

the L/N short will be a connected load. if the 174 you mention is 174 Megohm, then just record it as such and move on.

I would have said you should have tested located any faults and corrected them before changing the board,as you are aware a fault exists it's up to you now to find and fix it,hence testing before you start.

So your talking a possible rewire of radial?

if this job is for scam assessment, just mention to assessor that yoiu have noticed the lower IR reading, but it's still way above the 1 meg. limit.

the L/N short will be a connected load. if the 174 you mention is 174 Megohm, then just record it as such and move on.

So find out where the third leg goes to, as 1 leg goes to boiler, 2nd goes to shower and a third shoots off under floor boards to something I couldn't locate when searching the house. I will need to search again and find it to see what's on it and disconnect

If the spur has a neon on it it is possible that the neon is now just connecting through as it is not working and giving you the reading.
Assuming there is nothing connected to that spur.
If you do not know where it is going how do you know you removed the loads?
Disconnect the unfused? spur and test each run of cables either way, but if L+N to E is OK then you should be OK.

If the spur has a neon on it it is possible that the neon is now just connecting through as it is not working and giving you the reading.
Assuming there is nothing connected to that spur.
If you do not know where it is going how do you know you removed the loads?
Disconnect the unfused? spur and test each run of cables either way, but if L+N to E is OK then you should be OK.

If I do (L/N) - E, I get a 181 reading

So the circuit is fine, carry on.
You are only making sure it is safe to reconnect.
You could do a continuity L+N and if you get 10 - 400 ohms ish then it is a piece of equipment connected.
It could be higher for electronics and stuff.

Cheers for the help everyone, much appreciated.
All tests finished and satisfactory, now to go home and sort out Everything needed for this assesment tomorrow!!!

One leg for shower , other going else where , do you not care today men

SSE did a poor job squeezing 4 cables into a old switched spur, the "leg" went downstairs to the new combi boiler in the kitchen. Personally I'd have put them all in a junction box.
I found out where it went in the end though. The whole house is a mess really, but it all has good readings for now!! Now I reconnected ALL the loose earths in 70% of the sockets/switches/ fittings

Reply to What am I accountable for on CU change as got bad test results. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net