Discuss What cheap light fittings do you use as standard? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tidy Max

Alreet chaps.

Quoting for a rewire....again! It is to be a rental property and the client has asked for pretty basic stuff, left the majority of the decisions up to me bar 2 locations where they have specified spot lights.

They have just said they want cheap standard light fittings in every room, i asked for them to eleaborate but it was just a case of whatever you think.

I have no idea what to put up, just thought it may be worth asking if any of you chaps have a 'default' fitting that you bang up in situations like this!

Max

I can't just leave a lamp hanging though.... can i?! Lack of experience clearly showing here on behalf both in terms of working in rental properties and never having rented myself i just don't know.

Not even any form of lamp shade? Just a lamp? Very prison-chique!

- - - Updated - - -

what are the 2 locations specified out of curiosity.I'm guessing kitchen is one?

Well it turns out that both locations are the kitchen. Obviously wasn't paying attention when i made the notes on the job lol. So make that one location!

Cheers Tel.

Dan i meant that i haven't made the decisions before on a house that is to be rented out AND i have never rented a house myself.

Not that i had ever given it much thought but i just always imagined a rented property to come with lamp shades! And as i have never rented a property i have never had to provide my own lamp shades for one :)

I feel like i have really excelled myself with another pointless thread :presents1:. It seems obvious now really! Thanks as always :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Tel.

Dan i meant that i haven't made the decisions before on a house that is to be rented out AND i have never rented a house myself.

Not that i had ever given it much thought but i just always imagined a rented property to come with lamp shades! And as i have never rented a property i have never had to provide my own lamp shades for one :)

I feel like i have really excelled myself with another pointless thread :presents1:. It seems obvious now really! Thanks as always :)

well at least you now know cheap and cheerful is the way to go. customer shouldn't expect anything else tbh.
as for the tenant, they prob won't be expecting anything different either.
I rent out a house and don't have any shades up. didn't give em much tbh!

tenants will probably sort out their own lighting for the cannabis farm anyway.

Haha thanks Dan.

Yeah, i can see the sense in it i just find it hard putting it in to practice! This is the first job i have quoted where i am doing most of my pricing off the Screw fix website!

Pendants as per everybody else, but dont forget the bathroom. If in zone 2, which mostly I find is true for small properties, then IP44 if no shower, IP45 if a shower. Try Toolstation who have a fully enclosed 70W light fitting for £7.60 (Porch Drum Light)

Just put white plastic sockets and switches. Use pendents in bedrooms landing hall lounge. 16w 2d in bathroom and fluorescent in kitchen . Fancy type fitting often require maintenance and gu10 lamps always blowing. We work in rented houses all time best way . Hope this helps u

Reply to What cheap light fittings do you use as standard? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net