Discuss what documents should be completed after initial veritication? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BS 7671 are also only guidelines.

if as has been said previously competent persons scheme is happy for it too be used in this way then there are no problems.

Its a British standard to which we are trained to work to. One of the reasons the competent person schemes are there are to see we comply with this standard. They shouldn't be making up there own rule's.

Is there a real problem with her using it for this work? nope, your just not complying with the British standard.

if as has been said previously competent persons scheme is happy for it too be used in this way then there are no problems.

They are what we go by though, 99% of the time, and the major guidelines for qualification, regulation wise.
If the point in question came up in any sort of qualification exam, I can imagine where the marks would be awarded.

edit: know

Last edited:
Its a British standard to which we are trained to work to. One of the reasons the competent person schemes are there are to see we comply with this standard. They shouldn't be making up there own rule's.

Is there a real problem with her using it for this work? nope, your just not complying with the British standard.

Not saying it is right but should the proverbial hit the fan then if they use a MWC instead of a EIC then the brown stuff will fall firmly on then CPs door.

Aye i agree - she's only doing what she's told which is fair enough, but the scheme is wrong.

I wonder what would happen if you were to ring up napit and ask them to read the GN3 / BS7671 when it comes to test certs and see what they say.

To be honest (and i do read the info they say through the paper from time to time lol) elecsa could stipulate the same rule, but like i said when it comes to testing i read what GN3 says and not what elecsa are telling me to do.

So.......who's going to make the call/email to crap-it tomorrow and find out why they think a MWC is acceptable for and new final ring circuit?

Answers to be posted here please ;)

I agree with both sides here, I am registered with ECA and NICEIC. ECA minor works do include the provision of a new circuit to an existing installation. NICEIC doesn't. No right or wrong in my opinion.

BS7671 is only a guideline as you rightly say, but if you go to court and get prosecuted under the EAWR they will ask you why you didn't comply with BS7671, and if you reply "I worked to Napits rules" you are going to have a really bad day out in court, and you probably wont be going home for a while, and i can guarantee napit will say "Nowt to do with us your honour".

Cheers............Howard

It amazes me that we have an organisation, the IET, who are responsible for writing the regs,yet along come others,the scams, and change things to suit. Why can't we just have one song book and all sing from the same sheet?

It amazes me that we have an organisation, the IET, who are responsible for writing the regs,yet along come others,the scams, and change things to suit. Why can't we just have one song book and all sing from the same sheet?

Because nothing is simple in life.

I don't think it's the IET's fault its the scams faults for not reading and understanding 'the standard'. Instead they just make up their own rules because they think they own the trade, all the scams are as bad as one another - too much money involved for anything to ever change now though im afraid.

so it would seem that theres several different ideas floatin about for single new circuits..
as has been said already here i always had it that its an EIC for new circuits....obviously Napit see it different....
seems a bit hard n fast with no rules all this........

Just leave it as I'm wrong. I didn't mean to start a debate was just giving my opinion and really wish I hadn't.
BS7671 does state it, but I follow the instructions of NAPIT as I use their test sheets and they are my insurers, for public liability and professional indemnity. So I'm going to continue following their instructions. Clearly because I don't know what I'm doing anyway so it doesn't matter.

Just leave it as I'm wrong. I didn't mean to start a debate was just giving my opinion and really wish I hadn't.
BS7671 does state it, but I follow the instructions of NAPIT as I use their test sheets and they are my insurers, for public liability and professional indemnity. So I'm going to continue following their instructions. Clearly because I don't know what I'm doing anyway so it doesn't matter.
Kate....look at what howard has said at #61.....
that should be your guide here....
i agree that a `napit` minor works for a new circuit wouldn`t cut it....
stop using them love....

Kate pet - you're not wrong, you're doing as what Napit tell you which is fair enough.

I think it's just come as abit of a shock to people that information can get so muddled up from provider to provider.

whats bizarre? Tell me your major advantage for and EIC over minor? I'm not saying I disagree nor agree

Page 89/90 GN3 - thats my reason.

It's bizarre how Napit can contradict BS7671 and GN3 (although they're non-stat they are the standard)

I was just unaware that a MIWC would ever be used for a new circuit under any circumstances. It's obviouslly not wrong if you're a Napit member, and Kate has proved that.

Just out of touch from everything i've ever learnt.

When I do an EICR, I quote a 7671 reg no being contravened for all defects.
For an installation, in 99% of situations, it's conform to 7671.
In this instance, NAPIT are not conforming to bs 7671. But I am sure they base their certificates on it.
Strange. Have they discovered something we don't know about. If so, surely their clients should know all about it and the reasoning behind it.

In this instance, NAPIT are not conforming to bs 7671. But I am sure they base their certificates on it.
Strange. Have they discovered something we don't know about. If so, surely their clients should know all about it and the reasoning behind it.

this is a practice to get others quote in my reply ignore me

worked it out now I can sleep

i just wouldn`t be deviatin from BS7671 as if it all goes arse up....you cant wave Napit`s version of things in defence....
and i think this is a deviation.....

I DO HOPE that NAPIT read this thread and offer up their opinion, as most of us think THEY have got it wrong. We can't criticise their members for being mislead but NAPIT should really toe the line on such a rule.

Kate keep using the minor works if you are able too. Why make work for your self! The ECA form is the same.

It really isn't ... ive got the form in my hand now and it clearlly states on the ECA minor works.....THIS Minor Works Certificate is intended to be used for additions and alterations to an installation that do not extend to the provision of a new circuit.

Only Crapit are suggesting a new ring final circuit can be classed as a minor Job with a minor works one page certificate, they need to get a grip with this before they are laughed out of the industry, Ive never known anything like it, what next? a rewire on a minor works LMAO, Dist board Change on a Minor works lol

Only Crapit are suggesting a new ring final circuit can be classed as a minor Job with a minor works one page certificate, they need to get a grip with this before they are laughed out of the industry, Ive never known anything like it, what next? a rewire on a minor works LMAO, Dist board Change on a Minor works lol
well...in theory you could just keep adding circuits and certing each one individually with these `minor works`.....
look, a new circuit isn`t a minor works is it....

The Napit Minor works/.Single circuit electrical certificate seems to contain the information required by the IET in their description of what is required to be included on the Electrical installation Certificate form No 1

Form No 1 is a condensed version of the much more comprehensive form No 2

What information, that may not be on the certificate do you suggest should be included
I very often hear moans about the volume of paperwork,yet there seems to be a yearning for complication where none may be essential

By the way,I use my dear friends certificates,the red jobbies

Minor works is two page cert

There has been a few pages of opinions aghast at the sheer audacity to produce a user friendly form
If I had it on the computer,it would be my choice of form
icon6.png

All these scams generate forms that are made up as Glossy imitations of the IET model
The only essential needed is for the necessary info to be included

Reading the sheer amazement and envy displayed in this thread,it may be time for the Niceic to follow their lead
icon14.png
icon12.png

If you were to include the notes page,it would be a 3 page effort

Reply to what documents should be completed after initial veritication? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net